18th June 2014, 09:57 PM
Unregistered

What to learn other than basics of C after getting placed in TCS?

Hai i am A BE mechanical Degree Holder. got placed in TCS... I dont have knowledge on dotnet or java.. i know only basics C.. what other things should should i learn more before going to TCS.. being a mechanical engineering studend i donot want to work in Software. I tried for TES.. but bcoz of my CGPA, they placed me in TCS..I got no other way expect to work in TCS before i find one good job. i would like someone to guide me..

12th July 2014, 02:27 PM
Support
Forum Staff

Thumbs up Re: What to learn other than basics of C after getting placed in TCS?

It's really good that you being a Mechanical Engineer have started to learn all the basics which are needed for a Software job and that's how we need to be in the present competitive world because getting a job based on the course which we have taken up in Engineering field is quite enough and yes as you said you can work for 1-2 years and then switch to the companies which will deal more of your course maybe more on the Design part which still involves computers in Mechanical.

Now coming to the learning part which you need to cultivate, it's good that you know the basics of C which will ofcourse makes learning Java and C++ easy. So, the next thing which you can concentrate will be these two languages. Be known that there is only the syntax and certain concept changes between C, C++ and Java but what matters is the logic which you are going to write so basically you can learn these languages in 2-3 weeks time rest all needs your talent of applying the logics which you will have based on the project you are put in.

There are many books available in the market which will help you to prepare on these topics, also it will be good to learn dotNet as well because most of the projects in TCS deals with them. Probably you can spend some more time to learn that just the basics will do.

Anyways when you join in TCS you will given 1-2 months training's where again all the basics will be covered. So, if you know them already then you will have the upper hand to do well on the initial tests which they will give just to select you on the projects.

Don't just study study always before the joining date just find some time to hang out with your friends and have fun because once you step in to the corporate job you will be again running on every day rule like it was in college
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?