17th January 2014, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

Total cost of M.S. for two years in U.S/Canada? Subjects in which MS can be done being Engineer?

I belong to a middle class family with annual income of the family about 2.5lakhs.
I am doing my BE right and am in the 3rd year. I have managed to score a decent score of about 65%-70% till now.
I am thinking of doing M.S. in US or Canada. But as seen, my financial conditions aren't that great. I know I have to give GRE and TOEFL for admission and scholarships.

Could you please tell me the total cost of the whole of M.S. (including Stay, Mess charges and tution fees)?
And upto what extent do they grant scholarships? Upto what amount are loans granted?
Could You please list out the subjects in which M.S. can be pursued and is quite a rage?

18th January 2014, 10:54 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Total cost of M.S. for two years in U.S/Canada? Subjects in which MS can be done being Engineer?

It is great to see that inspite of your financial limitation you are determined to pursue higher studies abroad. It is important to have the determination since without determination one cannot achieve his/her goals. You can definitely pursue your MS degree course abroad especially in US/Canada. There are scholarships as well as education loan facility to help you avail such courses.

The total cost of MS degree course can be divided into two parts- one your institutional fees and the other your living expense. The tution fees depends on the number of credit hours you are opting for the course. Usually one course is of 3 credit hours. So if you attend three courses in a semester, then it will be around 9 credit hours which will sum up to $6000-$7500 per semester. However, the best universities will charge more and may have more number of credit hours owing to higher cost of education.

The living cost varies from person to person and university to university. Keeping various aspects in mind, it can be stated that the living cost will vary from $350-$600 per month including rent, food and electricity. Places like California,New York, New Jersey,Massachusetts are costlier.

You can get a full waiver in your tution fees if you are outstanding in your academics or have a very good academic record or research work. You can even work 20 hours per week with a salary of $6-12/hr to facilitate your studies. Your on -campus job can cover up your living cost. Loans for study abroad is limited upto 20 lakhs for the entire course.
You should do your MS in the same field in which you are pursuing your BE right now.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?