16th March 2018, 11:52 PM
deano2727

Admission to BMS/BMM in Mumbai - Foreign Student

Hi all,

I sent an email to multiple colleges in Mumbai to see if I would have a chance of getting in to BMS/BMM in their college. I haven't got any replies, so I will call all of them up next week. I'll post the email here to see if anyone can answer my queries.

Quote:
I am a 24 year old male from Ireland (I was born in the UK and have a British passport). I am very interested in studying in India and I am interested in studying at your institute.

I wish to study and get a bachelors degree (and maybe later a masters) in an area that I am interested in and one that I believe will help me in my end goal - becoming a successful entrepreneur. I don't feel like studying in Ireland, as I would like to go out there and try something new and exciting. This led me to become increasingly interested in studying in India - a country I feel I know and love.

The course I am interested in is BMM. I believe this course would greatly benefit me on my journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur. It would also give me more of an insight in to how things work in India. The reason I am writing this email is to see if it is worthwhile me applying for admission.

Unfortunately, when I was at school, I had no interest in academics and didn't study, so my grades aren't great. I passed my school leaving certificate. We use a different system for grading than India, though if I were to estimate, I'd say my average among all subjects is 55%. We have two different levels of difficulty and grading, ordinary level and higher level. I done 3 subjects in Higher level (English, History and Geography). The higher level subjects give us more points than ordinary (points is probably the Irish equivalent of aggregate %). I have attached a photo of my grades. Sorry about the handwriting at the side, I only have a photocopy of of my grades on my person.

Do you think with these grades and average it would be possible to get in to BMM in your institute? I am much more mature and driven some years on and I realize how important academics are to excel ones career. If my grades/average aren't up to the standard, is there any other way to get in to the course? I am really driven and motivated to do this now.
Basically, I'm wondering if I can get in to BMS/BMM in a college in Mumbai (preferably in the Western suburbs or South Mumbai) with my avg which is probably around 55%, best case just slightly under 60%. Can't upload photo so my grades were English C2 , Geography C3, History C3 - all at higher level. At ordinary level I got a C2 in Biology and Agricultural Science, D1 in Maths and D3 in Irish. Maybe the higher level subjects would raise the average a bit up towards 60%. Anyone have any idea who I'd have to contact to get my results translated to the Indian aggregate system?

Related Questions:
  1. What is the procedure to apply for admission in foreign university for Ph.D?
  2. Criteria of getting admission in AIIMS for foreign student?
  3. How may I get B.Sc admission in colleges of Mumbai university?
  4. Is there any foreign quota in medical colleges? Fee structure and procedure for admission? -- [Most Discussed]
  5. How Nepali student can get admission in AIIMS to study MBBS? Scholarship under reservation for Nepali student or foreign student? -- [New]
  6. Can I get admission in Mumbai with 65% average and 68% in 6th semester?
  7. How can I get scholarship for further studies in any foreign university?
  8. Engineering related courses in foreign universities for 12th student? How can I get admission?
  9. Criteria for admission for study of CA course for foreign student? Fee structure of CA course?
  10. Admission in M.Tech in good foreign universities?
  11. Can a Nepali resident eligible to get admission in AIIMS if completed schooling in India? Procedure of admission for foreign students? What will be fees for foreigners?
  12. Procedure to get admission in diploma in foreign language at BHU
  13. How to pursue my studies in abroad after doing B.Com? Where are the IELT forms available?
  14. Minimum marks required by a Sindhi student to get admission in BMS in colleges of Mumbai?
  15. How to get admission in Foreign University to study B.Tech?
  16. How to get admission in MBBS as foreign student on self finance in any Medical college of India?
  17. Colleges offering bachelors in foreign trade course in Mumbai?
  18. How can a foreign student get admission in Diploma/MD course in CMC?
25th March 2018, 01:59 PM
sarita46
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Admission to BMS/BMM in Mumbai - Foreign Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2727 View Post
Hi all,

I sent an email to multiple colleges in Mumbai to see if I would have a chance of getting in to BMS/BMM in their college. I haven't got any replies, so I will call all of them up next week. I'll post the email here to see if anyone can answer my queries.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can get in to BMS/BMM in a college in Mumbai (preferably in the Western suburbs or South Mumbai) with my avg which is probably around 55%, best case just slightly under 60%. Can't upload photo so my grades were English C2 , Geography C3, History C3 - all at higher level. At ordinary level I got a C2 in Biology and Agricultural Science, D1 in Maths and D3 in Irish. Maybe the higher level subjects would raise the average a bit up towards 60%. Anyone have any idea who I'd have to contact to get my results translated to the Indian aggregate system?
Firstly, I would like to inform you about your percentage based on the Indian education system. Since you have scored C grade over all that means your percentage is between 40-44.99% that is an aggregate of 50%.

Coming to your next question that is you have an interest to study BMM/BMS from any top Mumbai institute. So, basically the minimum eligibility that a candidate needs to have is pass in 12th level of study with 50% in aggregate in any stream from recognized board.

Admission to this course is done on the basis of entrance examination by the institute. Considering entrance marks, candidate will be selected for the admission to the new session. For foreign candidates seeking admission to any of the course under Mumbai institute or any institute in India, there is a prescribed quota of seats embarked for them, and candidate have to apply through the Foreign Student Advisor as per the rules of Delhi University and UGC institute as well.

So, here are the list of institute in India where you can apply for the BMS/BMM course :

- University of Delhi

- Mumbai College of Arts, Science and Commerce college

- St.Xavier College, Mumbai

- University of Mumbai

- Deen Dayal Upadhyay college

- Jamia Milia Islamia university, Delhi

- Christ University, Bangalore

- Symbiosis college, Pune
27th March 2018, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

Thanks very much, Sarita.

I have some friends in Mumbai and they reckon I'd be better off taking a visit to Mumbai to visit the colleges directly. Its a bit of a chore, but it is feasible for me to do if people think it would work out better. I have the time and savings to do it and my visa still has until October on it from my previous trip. Only thing is, its to my understanding colleges in India are quickly approaching summer break. Judging by how difficult it is corresponding with these institutes during semester time, I can only imagine what it would be like when they are off on break.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be worthwhile to go visit colleges now in the next week or two? Would they be able to do much without knowing the results from this years 12th grade students. Maybe it would make me appear more serious and they would take me in to consideration more.

University of Mumbai got back to me about my grades and said that despite being on the low side, I have a fair chance of getting accepted due to the cut off being lower for international students.
27th March 2018, 07:51 PM
deano2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita46 View Post
Firstly, I would like to inform you about your percentage based on the Indian education system. Since you have scored C grade over all that means your percentage is between 40-44.99% that is an aggregate of 50%.

Coming to your next question that is you have an interest to study BMM/BMS from any top Mumbai institute. So, basically the minimum eligibility that a candidate needs to have is pass in 12th level of study with 50% in aggregate in any stream from recognized board.

Admission to this course is done on the basis of entrance examination by the institute. Considering entrance marks, candidate will be selected for the admission to the new session. For foreign candidates seeking admission to any of the course under Mumbai institute or any institute in India, there is a prescribed quota of seats embarked for them, and candidate have to apply through the Foreign Student Advisor as per the rules of Delhi University and UGC institute as well.

So, here are the list of institute in India where you can apply for the BMS/BMM course :

- University of Delhi

- Mumbai College of Arts, Science and Commerce college

- St.Xavier College, Mumbai

- University of Mumbai

- Deen Dayal Upadhyay college

- Jamia Milia Islamia university, Delhi

- Christ University, Bangalore

- Symbiosis college, Pune
Thanks very much for the reply, Sarita!

The University of Mumbai got back to one of my emails and said that despite my average being on the lower side, I still have a fair chance of getting selected, due to the cut off point being much lower for international students. I also understand that there are X amount of seats reserved for international students. Does this mean if no other international students applied for the course that I applied for, I'd more or less be guaranteed a seat?

A few friends in Mumbai have also mentioned that it would be better to go visit the colleges in person. I'm having bother getting my Irish grade system translated to the Indian aggregate system. I have to supply a CGPA or average %. Its extremely difficult to do so because of the complexity of the Irish grading system. The Irish Examination Commission said it was nothing to do with them, so I'm guessing its the Uni of Mumbai who would have to sort it out. Maybe its one of those things that could get resolved quicker in person. Would you think it would be worth while flying to Mumbai for a week or two in the coming fortnight. I understand colleges are closing for break soon, so it may be difficult. Any opinions?
28th March 2018, 02:09 PM
sarita46
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2727 View Post
Thanks very much for the reply, Sarita!

The University of Mumbai got back to one of my emails and said that despite my average being on the lower side, I still have a fair chance of getting selected, due to the cut off point being much lower for international students. I also understand that there are X amount of seats reserved for international students. Does this mean if no other international students applied for the course that I applied for, I'd more or less be guaranteed a seat?

A few friends in Mumbai have also mentioned that it would be better to go visit the colleges in person. I'm having bother getting my Irish grade system translated to the Indian aggregate system. I have to supply a CGPA or average %. Its extremely difficult to do so because of the complexity of the Irish grading system. The Irish Examination Commission said it was nothing to do with them, so I'm guessing its the Uni of Mumbai who would have to sort it out. Maybe its one of those things that could get resolved quicker in person. Would you think it would be worth while flying to Mumbai for a week or two in the coming fortnight. I understand colleges are closing for break soon, so it may be difficult. Any opinions?
Well I would suggest you to visit the college office once and get the information from them because they are the only one who can give the exact information that you are looking for. Seats for the international students are reserved but here also admission is done on the basis of merit or by the Entrance examination which only Mumbai University college office can let you know. So, yes your friend guided you in a good direction. It will be better if you communicate with them directly. I know its a summer break in India but still college office remains open for the student query if they have any. So, there is no such issue visiting the college office in the summer month.

You can even contact them via telephone and here is the help line number for you : 022 2270 8700 (University of Mumbai)

Regarding Admission for the new session 2018 under Mumbai University : Application form will be available in the last month of the May to the second week of June,2018 on the official website of Mumbai university. Each and every student (Indian/International student) first they need to register as a student and then need to select the department which they are interested in for admission. After then they need to upload their transcripts, certificates along with an application form. After the verification of all the documents from the college authorities student will get the provisional admission letter.

You can read the previous year 2017 circular also for clearing your doubts. Hoping this will help! I hope I have helped you in clearing your doubts? if any question still arise do post a question. We are here to help you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circular-regarding-International-students.pdf(653.9 KB, 14 views)
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?