18th April 2011, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Can I opt for subjects of my interest in IAS exam or is it compulsory to choose the one related to degree?

im a b.tech student in ece branch. for the preparation of ias exams can i opt for the subjects of my interest or is it compulsory that i've tp opt for those subjects only concerned with my degree.

13th May 2011, 09:19 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: Can I opt for subjects of my interest in IAS exam or is it compulsory to choose the one related to degree?

hello sir i m a bcom (Honours banking and insurance) student i want to prepare 4 ias entrance exam wat subject shall be easy 4 me to clear priliminery and main exam
18th May 2011, 07:50 AM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Can I opt for subjects of my interest in IAS exam or is it compulsory to choose the one related to degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
im a b.tech student in ece branch. for the preparation of ias exams can i opt for the subjects of my interest or is it compulsory that i've tp opt for those subjects only concerned with my degree.
Yes absolutely you can opt your interested optional subjects in IAS mains exam

as we don't have optional system anymore for the normal prelim examination this has been removed from this year only i.e., every aspirant will take the common paper and compete for the place in mains examination

here comes the optional subjects you can select any optionals from the list prescribed by the UPSC

the list is

Mathematics
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
etc.,
you can select any of these even if you don't belong to the respected optional also but you don't have an opportunity to choose two subjects of same field according to your degree

for example no person can select electrical engineering and civil engineering as his optional subjects

only one subject is permitted to select as optional from that field

Regards

~AdityA~
18th May 2011, 03:07 PM
sumansin
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I opt for subjects of my interest in IAS exam or is it compulsory to choose the one related to degree?

Friend,
It is not compulsory to choose the subject related to your degree.
For IAS exam there is a list of subject for optional given by UPSC.
You can choose the subject of your own interest.

For Optional you choose only 1 subject.these are the subjects for optional:-

Agriculture
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology

you can choose any 1 subject which suits you.
For more details you can visit : www.upsc.ac.in
18th May 2011, 07:17 PM
mandiv

hello...
dear the complete choice of the mains have been removed from this year itself but you have the option for choosing your subject in the optional one.......
in the brouchure of your exam you will get the list of exam you can choose from...........
so
best of luck............
22nd May 2011, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

please kindly tell me whether the same subject chosen as an optional for the prelims can be chosen for the mains too................. eg: if i had chosen animal husbandry as an optional in prelims, can the same be chosen as one of the optional in the mains????? reply the soonest please.. i want to avail these holidays in preparing for upsc... im alice doing III CSE ,chennai.
31st July 2011, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

hi, I am studing BSc(Maths) 2nd year.I want to become an IAS.what subject i'm choose premilary&main.
2nd August 2011, 02:20 PM
Unregistered

kindly tell me how many compulsarysubject for ias main exam. pls list out.
22nd August 2011, 11:35 PM
vishwajeet17

hello friend,
for ias main exam one have to give 7 compulsory papers
1)general study 1
2)general study 2
3)essay paper
4)one language paper
5)one qualifying english paper
6)optional subject 1
7)optional subject 2
optional subject list is -
Agriculture
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Anthropology
out of which you have to select 2 subjects.The subject combinations which are not allowed are-
(a) Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration;

(b) Commerce & Accountancy and Management;

(c) Anthropology and Sociology;

(d) Mathematics and Statistics;

(e) Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.

(f) Management and Public Administration;

(g) Of the Engineering subjects i.e. Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering–not more than one subject.

(h) Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science.

language subjects are-
Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Chinese
Dogri
English
French
German
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Manipuri
Marathi
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu

out of which you have to select only one
15th November 2011, 07:35 PM
dimple.simple
Senior Member++

hello
Yes absolutely you can opt your interested optional subjects in IAS mains exam

as we don't have optional system anymore for the normal prelim examination this has been removed from this year only i.e., every aspirant will take the common paper and compete for the place in mains examination

here comes the optional subjects you can select any optionals from the list prescribed by the UPSC

the list is

Mathematics
Agriculture
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
3rd July 2012, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

best coaching centre for ias in hyderabad please guide me and which are the optional subjects preferable for btech ece student where i have already selected public administration and one more which subject is scoring and easy to grab please suggest me
3rd July 2012, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

i am a btech ece student intrested to do ias please suggest me best institute in hyderabad for ias coaching and suggest me the electives subject where i felt public administration the interesting one and i have choosed it and to select another elective please help me out which is easy to score and grab?
3rd July 2012, 09:38 PM
swarnalekha

i am a btech ece student and interested to do ias please tell me the best institute for ias in hyderabad irrespective of fees and please suggest me the electives where i have already choosen public administration as one which i felt interesting and please help me out for another one which is easy to grab and scoring as well?
3rd July 2012, 09:40 PM
swarnalekha

Smile Re:please help me out to do my best in ias?

i am a btech ece student and interested to do ias please tell me the best institute for ias in hyderabad irrespective of fees and please suggest me the electives where i have already choosen public administration as one which i felt interesting and please help me out for another one which is easy to grab and scoring as well?
15th August 2013, 11:42 PM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

HI

for IAS

You have to appear for

Preliminary exam
Mains exam
and Interview

For Preliminary exam
There are two papers
General Studies
Optional Paper

main papers includes
Any language of India
English
Essay
General Studies

You may choose your indian language from

Gujarati
Manipuri
Sanskrit
Hindi
Sindhi
Bengali
Kannada
Oriya
Tamil
Kashmiri
Telugu
Konkani
Urdu
Marathi
Punjabi
Malayalam

following are list of optional subjects

Agriculture
Management
Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science
Mathematics
Anthropology
Mechanical Engineering
Botany
Medical Science
Chemistry
Philosophy
Civil Engineering
Physics
Commerce & Accountancy
Political Science & International Relations
Economics
Psychology
Electrical Engineering
Public Administration
Geography
Sociology
Geology
Statistics
Indian History
Law
Zoology

other information is easily available on net

All the best
20th July 2014, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

sir can i choose a subject in upse exam which is not my graduating subject. like i have completed my graduation with b.sc. but i want to choose history and sociology as my optional sub. can i?
24th April 2017, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

I'm a law student and I want to chose law and Indian history for my optional subject is it a correct combination of subject or I have to chose some other subject in place of Indian history
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?