29th September 2014, 03:13 AM
Adaakhan00

Difference between psychology and psychiatrist?

Respected experts ,

i wanted to know the difference between psychology and psychatrist..... Can you please say me the difference in simple words....

Yours faithfully
adaa khan

27th March 2015, 04:31 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Difference between psychology and psychiatrist?

Yes, there is always confusion among individuals that what is the exact difference between Psychologist ( person who studies and specializes in psychology) and Psychiatrist.

If we talk about their field of working, it is almost same as both study brain, emotions, feeling and thoughts of human beings then what is the actual difference.

But there exists difference between the two which is as below:

>>The first difference is in educational background, psychiatrist has degree in medicine and psychologist has doctoral level degree in the subject psychology.

>>The most important difference is in prescribing medications to patients suffering from mental illness.

Psychiatrists are physicians who have gone under specific training in assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illness. So Psychiatrists can prescribe medications to patients but psychologists cannot do this, they just do the counselling of patients and further refer to psychiatrists.
28th July 2015, 11:38 PM
Unregistered

I have completed msc in psychiatric nursing. I am very much interested in studying psychology. Can you please guide me about the psychology courses which i can opt.
30th July 2015, 12:01 AM
shweta 1411
Senior Member+++++

Both these words psychology and psychiatrist create a little bit confusion to people.
Psychology is referred as subject which consist of study of mind, brain etc.. People who are expert in psychology should read our mind and our activity easily.
Whereas psychaiatrist is a degree in medicine and is called to a doctor who treats patients suffering from mental illness.
11th March 2018, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

IAM bsc 3rd year with in few days I complete my degree I want to do psychology. Is it possible and then what course should I select can you guide me.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?