23rd January 2011, 01:11 AM
Singhji

Eligibility for CAT after engineering: 50% marks for all 4 years or just final year?

the eligibilty for appearing in cat is 50%.Is this % the full 4yrs of grad %(engg) or jus the final yr %?

23rd January 2011, 07:57 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Eligibility for CAT after engineering: 50% marks for all 4 years or just final year?

In order to be eligible for the test you need have a minimum of 50%. The aggregate score is considered as an eligibility criteria. So you need to perform consistently throughout the course. Also in engineering stream you have an option to reattempt the previous whilst studying. So if you feel you have scored less in a paper you must take retake for the same.
23rd January 2011, 09:58 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Eligibility for CAT after engineering: 50% marks for all 4 years or just final year?

after completion of your 4 year graduation your marks will be calculated and one final result will be issued from your university with your overall marks.

that marks should be minimum of 50% to appear in CAT not only the fourth year marks should be more than 50%. so try to do always good result so that you will not face any problem later.

best wishes.
23rd January 2011, 02:36 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

Dear friend,

The candidates having 50% and more can apply for CAT enterence exam in any graduation.

So you wait for the final result of your BE. Then try for the CAT.

All the best.
23rd January 2011, 03:58 PM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

In every field by your percentage means your overall percentage not only the last year so here also the marks will be considered for all 4 years not just final year.

so, try to obtain as much as possible so that you will not face any problem in your future.

you need atleast 50% in your b.tech that is your average should be atleast 50% in all 4 years and 8 semesters.
23rd January 2011, 04:59 PM
Harshita21

yes you are eligible as CAt eligibility requires only 50% in your bachelor degree
Go & start preparing for it
23rd January 2011, 05:17 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Hello,

It is good you want to appear for CAT.
You require 50% as an aggregate that is cumulative of all 4 years, not only final year.
So that means average of all 4 years must be 50% or more.I hope it is now clear to you.
23rd January 2011, 06:44 PM
yashwar sharma S.G.
Senior Member++

hi,

For appearing CAT exam you have to be a graduate and at least 50% in your cgpa or equivalent.

So try not to have any backpaper and score maximum in your graduate exam.

All the best for your exam!!!
23rd January 2011, 07:08 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

In CAT the aggregate of marks obtained in all the four years of engineering is considered.

CAT eligibility:
The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA)categories], awarded by any of the recognized Universities.

The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate in the bachelor’s degree would be calculated based on the practice followed by the university/institution from where the candidate has obtained the degree. In case the candidates are awarded grades/CGPA instead of marks, the conversion of grades/CGPA to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure certified by the university/ institution from where they have obtained the bachelor's degree
25th January 2011, 01:13 PM
kumarpravir007
Senior Member+++

hello friend.........
during graduation or b tech the overall marks of the entire degree is calculated and not only the last year or last semester is taken in to account ....
and to appear in the cat exam one has to score minimum of 50% of marks overall in the graduation or b tech degree.........
25th January 2011, 03:48 PM
sauravkumarjhumritelaiya
Member+

The eligibility criteria considers all the four year means it is other form of average .

so it is not meant for just final year.

so you must have atleast 50% aggregate in all four years.
25th January 2011, 11:59 PM
NITIN2
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Eligibility for CAT after engineering: 50% marks for all 4 years or just final year?

Dear friend

to appear in the exam of CAT, the minimum eligibility criteria is graduation in any discipline with at least 50% marks. You can also appear in your pre-final year.And also after completing your final year.

Best of luck
26th January 2011, 04:50 PM
edgeineervinay
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singhji View Post
the eligibilty for appearing in cat is 50%.Is this % the full 4yrs of grad %(engg) or jus the final yr %?
its an aggregate percentage of 4 yrs
combining all the yrs u have to get aggregate of 60 %
24th February 2011, 01:29 AM
Unregistered

if at the end of 4 year in engineering i have an aggregate of 50 percent bt im waiting for result of back papers of 1 year and 2 year can i appear for cat or shall i clear the exams first and then apply or i can write result awaited in the form.
24th February 2011, 01:43 AM
div09

if at the end of 4 year im stil waiting for result of 1 year and 2 year back can i appear for cat.
26th February 2011, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

hello sir, im doing my 3rd year engineering,so next year i will be completing my degree,so can i write cat exam this year?? pls reply..
30th April 2011, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

if i had year gap during b.e can i give cat after completing b.e
3rd June 2011, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

and how do they calculate your aggregate? do they consider 2nd attempt marks?
5th June 2011, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

helo sir i had a year gap during my 2_2 semister due to lack of attendance but i owe an aggregate of more than 50%..do i have eligibility to write cat exam ..plzz inform me ..
12th June 2011, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

hello sir,
I was unable to clear 3 subjects of b.tech in 4th year and have cleared in next attempt held after 6 months....and my overall percentage is 54.Can i be eligible for cat??
28th October 2011, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

hello sir
I want to know whether it is possible for a year gap student (b.tech) to appear in cat......????pls reply
28th October 2011, 02:44 AM
cyrus121121

hello sir
I want to know whether a student having year back during b.tech course is eligible for cat...?pls reply
17th June 2013, 12:16 PM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

Hi Cyrus121121

yes you are eligible as long as you meet the following eligibility criteria

You should have done your graduation from UGC recognized college/institute with atleast 50% marks (45% in case of SC/ST ) without any backlog

With above eligibility criteria, you are eligible to appear for any entrance exam
However, Interviewer would may or may not ask about your year gap.
If he asks, they you should be able to justify and it should look genuine

If he doesn't then you may loose the battle.
its better to mention about your year gap when you introduce your self provide you are ready with the justification

All the best
18th June 2013, 01:42 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

You just need 50% marks in aggregate and your total Graduation percentage should be 50% if you want to apply for CAT.

Also it doesn't matter how many backlogs you have cleared in Graduation. If you are pass in the end with 50% marks then you have every right to apply for CAT.

Those who belong to reserved category will get relaxation in marks and they need only 45% marks to become eligible for CAT.

So if you fulfill all these criteria then you must start your preparation for CAT because getting a top MBA college is very essential.

Exam Pattern CAT:

The examination will have two sessions and seperate time will be allotted to both the sessions.

1st Session: Data Interpretation and Quantitative Ability

2nd Session: Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning

There will be negative marks for wrong answers and you must be very careful while attempting the questions.

For more information visit http://www.catiim.in
17th July 2013, 06:29 PM
megayounus786

Quote:

Reservations

As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7½% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the “non-creamy” layer (NC-OBC).
For an updated central list of state-wise OBCs eligible for availing the benefit of reservation and information in respect of the creamy layer visit the website http://www.ncbc.nic.in. In case of NC-OBC category, the castes included in Central List (available at http://www.ncbc.nic.in/Centrallistifobc.html) of NC-OBC by the National Commission of Backward Classes, Government of India as on September 19, 2012 (Last day of registration) will be used. Any subsequent changes will not be effective for CAT2012.
As per the provision under section 39 of the PWD Act, 1995, 3% seats are reserved for Differently Abled (DA) candidates. The three categories of disability are: a) low-vision/blindness, b) hearing impairment, and c) locomotor disability/cerebral palsy. This provision is applicable if the candidate suffers from any of the listed disabilities to the extent of not less than 40%, as certified by a medical authority as prescribed and explained in the said Act.
The candidates belonging to categories for which seats are reserved need to note and read the eligibility requirements carefully before applying. It should be noted that while it is the endeavour of IIMs that the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD/Non-Creamy OBC categories join the Programme in proportions mandated by the law, they have to meet the minimum eligibility criteria and a certain minimum level of performance in the admission process. The candidates should read carefully the description of admission process followed by each IIM on their respective websites. No change in the category will be entertained after the closure of registration window; hence, the applicants are advised to give attention while registering.

Note for SC/ST, NC-OBC, and DA Candidates

If you belong to SC or ST categories, your caste/tribe must be listed in the Government of India schedule. The caste certificate that you send to IIM should be in the Government approved format and should clearly state: (a) Name of your caste/tribe; (b) Whether you belong to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe; (c) District and the State or Union Territory of your ordinary residence; and (d) the appropriate Government of India schedule under which your caste/tribe is approved by it as Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe. A copy of the certificate must be sent to CAT Centre, C/O Admissions Office, Indian Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, IIM Kozhikode Campus P.O., Kunnamangalam, Kozhikode- 673 570, Kerala, INDIA. Mention the Voucher Serial Number on the certificate. Failure to produce a copy of the caste certificate will result in the rejection of your CAT registration.

The caste certificate must be shown and a photocopy enclosed at the time of interviews. Moreover, the caste certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs.

If you belong to the Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC), you must produce the NC-OBC certificate duly signed by competent authority and enclose its photocopy at the time of interviews. Moreover, the certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs. Failure to do so during the post CAT selection process will result in you not being considered under the reserved category.

The DA certificate must be shown and a photocopy enclosed at the time of interviews. Moreover, the DA certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs.

For more details: http://www.catiim.in/
21st July 2013, 08:34 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
When they says that you need 50% of marks at graduation level that means they are asking for 50% of marks in aggregate or the average of four years and not just the final year. So until and unless you try and maintain a score of 50% every year it will be difficult to make up in the final year. Therefore performance at grad level needs to be consistent.

CAT stands for Common Admission Test. This is a National Level Entrance Test for MBA and is very popular among MBA aspirants as if you crack this one then you will get to study not only in the IIM's but also in the other top B-Schools in our country. This exam is conducted by the IIM's in turns.

Since IIM is an autonomous institution therefore the CAT score is accepted by other such autonomous institution only but not by other universities. Earlier though the option of pen and paper test was there but not anymore. Now it has become an online based test fully and you will have the option to choose the date, time and location where you want to give the exam depending on the availability of the same.

Reservation of seats:-
  1. For Backward Classes candidates - 27%.
  2. For Schedule Caste - 15%.
  3. For Schedule Tribes - 7.5%.
For the CAT Exam you need to be a graduate and the degree needs to be attained from a recognized university. The subject you choose at graduation level does not matters. But at grad level you need to score 50% of marks in aggregate as mentioned earlier.

The minimum marks required to secure at grad level for SC/ST candidates is 45% of marks. There is 5% relaxation for them. This exam can also be given by the final year students as well provided you show the certificates at the time of interview session.

Exam Pattern:-
  1. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
  2. Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning
Hope this helps :-> :->
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?