23rd May 2015, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

How to become an IAS officer? Which course should I opt for?

How can we become an ia??what course should we go?

23rd May 2015, 11:40 AM
sunilpati
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to become an IAS officer? Which course should I opt for?

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service Which is conducted through UPSC every year.
For this the interested candidates have to appear Civil Service exam.

The eligibility criteria are as follows:

The candidates should be a graduate in any discipline from a recognize university.
The age limit is 21 - 30 years, there is a age relaxation for reserved candidates.
The candidates should be a citizen of India.

For more details visit website http://www.upsc.gov.in
23rd May 2015, 12:18 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Service and the examination is conducted by the UPSC every year. There is no separate examination for the I.A.S. The designation is offered on the basis of merit list on the basis of performance in the examination.

The eligibility criteria for the examination is :-
* Candidates must have graduation degree form a recognized university.
* Candidates age must be between 21-32 years for general category and relaxation in age for other category candidates.
* There is no restrictions on the discipline of graduation and marks in the graduation.

The examination is conducted in three stages as :-
*Preliminary.
*Mains.
*Interview.

There is no restriction on selection of optional paper other than graduation discipline.

It is mandatory to qualify in each of the stages for the final selection. The examination is toughest and is considered as mother of all examination conducted within India. There are very few seats as compared to the applicants for the examination.

So it requires hard work, dedication ,and determination to qualify in the examination. For more information visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
23rd May 2015, 01:15 PM
Pwg_31
Senior Member+

For IAS, you have to crack the IAS exam which is conducted by the UPSC(Union Public Service Commission).
Other than IAS, IPS and IFS are also selected from the same exam based on the ranks.

First of all you need to understand that the basic eligibility criteria

1. Graduation from any recognized university of India

2. Age limit- 21 to 30 years as on 1st August of the year in which exam is conducted.

3. India Citizen

So, the advise is to choose an appropriate graduation course for yourself and then after completing it, prepare for the IAS exam and then strike for IPS.

The exam is irrespective of the graduation course. You can give the IAS exam after doing-
- B.tech
- BA
- B.com
- B.sc
- B.arch
- B.pharma
so it is irrelevant.

But the advise is that, if you seriously want to crack IAS, then go for the course which does not put lot of pressure of you and you are able to take out time for the preparation of IAS.

Also, there are certain tips which you can follow and can help you in your preparation-

1) Read newspaper everyday. Subscribe to "THE HINDU". No other newspaper.

2) But, GEOGRAPHY, HISTORY, POLITY needs to be given time. Start taking time for this right away. Go through NCERT. Make a goal to read at least half chapter each day.

4) In the final year of your graduation, i will recommend you to join some coaching class. Its not that you will gain knowledge there. But your knowledge will be brushed up and also the competitive surroundings will accelerate your chances to clear the exam.
23rd May 2015, 04:53 PM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

First of all to tell about IAS, this is a Civil service post and for joining in this post UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) is helding the Civil service Exams every year.

How To Become an IAS Officer?

To become an IAS officer you need to satisfy the eligibility criteria's such as:
  • Nationality
  • Age limit
  • Educational Qualification

# The Nationality standard states that candidate should have a citizenship in India.

# Age limit needed is 21-30 years for general category.

# There are relaxation for SC/ST and OBC, they get 5 years and 3 years extra.

# Regarding the educational qualification needed it is that candidate should have completed a degree from a recognized university in any stream of education.

# Final year appearing candidate can also apply for the exam.

If you satisfy all these above mentioned criteria then you can apply for the IAS exam. To know more about the exam check at http://www.upsc.gov.in
23rd May 2015, 05:35 PM
sarita46
Senior Member+++

INDIAN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES (IAS) exam is conducted by UPSC every year. And it is essential for every candidates to clear all the procedure of IAS exam.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:

** Well to be eligible for an IAS Officer what is required most is graduation degree in any discipline. There is no such course that aspirants has to take yes as IAS exam is very tough so one can join coaching classes for essential guidance. But graduation degree from recognized university is a must for all candidates who ever wants to apply for IAS exam.

** Age should not be more than 30 years, relaxation of 5 years are given to SC/ST/OBC candidates.

** Number of attempts permissible: 4 for General, 7 for OBC and no limits for SC/ST candidates.

There are also physical eligibility which aspirants have to fulfill and all the relevant information is given in the official website which unfortunately I have missed you can go through by visiting this page: http://www.upsc.gov.in/

The three stages which every aspirants has to pass through are:

> > Preliminary examination

> > Main Examination

> > Personal Interview round and physical Test round.

Clearing all the stages with excellent marks will surely lead you to become an IAS Officer.

Important Dates 2015:

Date Of Notification : 23rd May 2015.

Last Date To Apply : 30 days after notification.

Date of CSAT/Prelim Exam : 23rd August 2015.

To apply visit : http://www.upsc.gov.in/
23rd May 2015, 05:40 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. It comes under the Civil Services of Indian Government.

In order to become IAS officer, all you need to do is to clear the different stages of Civil Services examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission every year.

Different stages of this exam:

1. Preliminary examination

2. Mains examination

3. Personal interview.

A candidate must clear preliminary to become eligible for Mains and one who clear mains become eligible for interview. Ranking is prepared on the basis of marks secured in mains and personal interview.

Eligibility criteria for Civil Services:

Any candidate who has done bachelor's degree can apply for the exam. Even final year candidates of bachelor's degree can apply for the exam.

Now about course to opt, you can select any course of your interest in which you want to do bachelor's degree, there is no specification provided by UPSC.

From 2015, the age limit for general category candidates is 21-32 years with six attempts and for OBC it is 21-35 years with nine attempts. SC/ST candidates can attempt till their upper age limit that is 21-37 years.

For any other information or query, you can visit the official website of UPSC that is www.upsc.gov.in.
23rd May 2015, 06:03 PM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

Dear it is a good news that you have opted Civil's Examination to become a IAS Officer. For this you need to give an examination called " Civil's " and is conducted by " UPSC " once in a year.

Another good news the Notification regarding the UPSC Civil's has been out. So you can start Applying for it.There are number of attempts for a General candidates. More over for reserved candidates you will have Number of attempts as " OBC (9 attempts ) and SC/ST ( There is No limit ).

For the details regarding the educational qualification and Eligibility Criteria you must have a look on the below details.

1.You should complete the graduation from the recognized University with minimum percentage of marks.

There is No Percentage requirement as well as the type of Graduation course. Whether you have chosen any graduation like Professional like "B.E/B.Tech " or normal you have a chance to apply for it.

2.Age should be in between 21 to 30 years as per the Government of India.

3.Final year students of graduation can also eligible to apply for Civil's Examination.

For more you can click here
23rd May 2015, 06:05 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

UPSC conducts civil services exam in order to recruit personnel to the posts like IAS,IPS,IFS,IRS etc.

The eligibility criteria required for civil services exam are as under:-

-The candidate should be an Indian.

-The candidate should have completed graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

-The age limit to apply for the exam is from 21 years to 30 years for general category.There is relaxation in upper age limit by 3 years for OBC candidates and 5 years for SC/ST candidates.

-The no. of attempts for the exam is 4 times for general category under the creamy layer,7 times for OBC candidates and no limits for SC/ST candidates.

-The exam process involves

*Preliminary Exam

*Main exam

*Personality Interview.

The candidate should choose subjects like history, sociology, anthropology, geography, political science, psychology and public administration as optional subject because there is a huge amount of study material available in these subjects. The candidate should try to select such optional subjects with which they are familiar,comfortable and have availability of study material.
23rd May 2015, 06:24 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Service and the examination is conducted by the UPSC once in a year. The examination is one of the toughest of all examination. The examination conducted for the almost 20 designation as civil services examination.

The eligibility for the examination are candidates who have passed graduation from a recognised university and age between 21-32 years can apply.

There is limitation on number of attempts as it is only 6 for the general candidates relaxation is also for other candidates on age.

The examination is conducted in three stages and CSAT is considered as qualifying paper.It is necessary to qualify for each stage :-
Preliminary.
Mains.
Interview.

On the final merit list created after all the procedure. The candidates are offered designation as IAS,IPS etc..

For any more information visit at www.upsc.gov.in. No restriction on graduation paper. So you can go with any one in graduation as well as in optional paper.
23rd May 2015, 07:48 PM
mxsiva4u
Senior Member+++++

I A S stands for Indian administration services. To become an ias officer, you must clear upsc examination. UPSC stands for union public service commission. This board conducts civil service examination. It is very toughest examination. To apply for this examination, you must be a graduate from any recognised Indian institution or board.

There are three levels in civil service examination

Preliminary examination
Mains examination
Interview

Only after clearing preliminary examination, you can appear for mains examination.

B.A history will be the best course for you, since you wanted to do ias.
23rd May 2015, 11:19 PM
vanisunshine.vani
Senior Member++

IAS is indian administrative service officer.

IAS officer looks after political issues and administrative issues.

To be a part of IAS,one has to apply for civil service exam.

Civil service exam is the common exam to work in government service as IAS,IPS,IFS etc

This exam is conducts by upsc (union public service commission) once in the year.

Aspirants has to fully eligible for the upsc eligibility criteria.

Age limit:-21-30 years(age relaxation for sc/st/obc/ex-servicemen as per government norms)

Qualufication :- bachelor degree or post graduation in any specialization from a recognized university.

Percentage required:- no bar.candidate must passed in all subjects.

Candidate must be indian or subject to Bhutan or subject to nepal.

Candidate Must be medically fit and fine.

Selection procedure:-

1) CSAT(civil service aptitude test)

2) civil service main exam

3) interview

4) training.
23rd May 2015, 11:40 PM
RSJ66
Senior Member++

# To become an IAS officer is difficult task but not impossible.

# Following things are desperately needed in order to become an IAS officer:

* Sound basic concepts
* Good memory power
* Good concentration level
* good grasping power
* Ability to study for long hours
* Ability to remain stick with time table fixed for study
* Daily revision of studied matter
* Active & logical brain in order to perform well in interview stage.

# You have asked about best course which enable you to become an IAS officer. But note that all the courses/disciplines/degrees are eligible for appearing in IAS Examination.

# As per previous record, candidate from each and every degree are making place in selection list of IAS officer every year.

# It is better for you that choose only that course/degree in which you can perform well and have good elementary knowledge. Also opt only those subjects for the preparation of IAS Examination.
31st May 2015, 10:55 PM
jhavikas39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is good that you want to become I.A.S officer.

Friend for I.A.S you have to pass graduation with any stream from recognized university.

For I.A.S you have qualify the civil services.

Civil services exam is conducted by U.P.S.C once in a year.

After qualifying this exam you have many option:-
> Indian Administrative service
> Indian Police service
> Indian Foreign service
> Indian Revenue service
> Indian Defence service

Age limit:-
For open category:- 21-30 year
For O.B.C category:- 21-33 year
For SC/ST category:- 21-31 year

For more detail log on to www.upsc.gov.in
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?