2nd October 2011, 12:31 PM
aadey

How to prepare for CAT Exam being a candidate of pursuing 1st year in BE?

hi.......i'm studying in be first year........& i want to prepare for cat exam.....please tell me that how can i start preparation for exam...

4th October 2011, 07:14 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to prepare for CAT Exam being a candidate of pursuing 1st year in BE?

There is no specific timing to start preparing for CAT exam. You can update yourself every time by reading newspapers and magazines for the GK section. You can start preparing by solving previous years question papers. You can start going for coaching in the pre-final year or the final year of your engineering. One can start preparing for the quantitative section of CAT by solving problems at an early stage.
5th October 2011, 02:42 PM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

Default Re: How to prepare for CAT Exam being a candidate of pursuing 1st year in BE?

Eligibility Criteria For CAT 2011

You need to complete your graduation with minimum 50% marks in any stream from any recognized university.
In case you belong any of the following categories to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) you just need to clear/pass your graduation
A final year students can also appear for CAT 2011

Important notification and Dates for CAT 2011
CAT 2011 Vouchers are circulated from Axis Bank branches : 17 August 2011 to 26 September 2011
CAT 2011 Voucher price : Rs. 1600/-(800/- for SC/ST )
Sc/ST's must show a copy of SC/ST certificates during purchase of CAT2011 voucher form.

You must log on to the Website: http://www.catiim.in for online registration .
CAT 2011 online Registration will start from 17 August 2011 and will close on 28 September 2011.

Exam Dates: 22 October 2011 to 18 November 2011

Result expected to be announced on 11 January 2012
CAT 2011 score card is valid till December 31, 2012.

Good Luck !!
5th October 2011, 02:43 PM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

Eligibility Criteria For CAT 2011

You need to complete your graduation with minimum 50% marks in any stream from any recognized university.
In case you belong any of the following categories to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) you just need to clear/pass your graduation
A final year students can also appear for CAT 2011

Important notification and Dates for CAT 2011
CAT 2011 Vouchers are circulated from Axis Bank branches : 17 August 2011 to 26 September 2011
CAT 2011 Voucher price : Rs. 1600/-(800/- for SC/ST )
Sc/ST's must show a copy of SC/ST certificates during purchase of CAT2011 voucher form.

You must log on to the Website: http://www.catiim.in for online registration .
CAT 2011 online Registration will start from 17 August 2011 and will close on 28 September 2011.

Exam Dates: 22 October 2011 to 18 November 2011

Result expected to be announced on 11 January 2012
CAT 2011 score card is valid till December 31, 2012.

Good Luck !!
26th October 2011, 08:00 PM
G.prasad venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadey View Post
hi.......i'm studying in be first year........& i want to prepare for cat exam.....please tell me that how can i start preparation for exam...
i think for doing mba.......its good.nothing to worry it is easy to get the cat entrance exam by preparing day by day i.e please take any aptitude book available for you i think mostly r.s.agrawal is the best to prepare any entrance exams. only different types of model questions and prepare a notes for that models it is easy to to rewind the methods before going to the examination,and read general awareness books it is increase your confidence and discuss that topic to your friends,parents....because it is easy to remember that topic......
3rd November 2011, 01:05 PM
VegaSridhar

Hi Friend,

Since you are still in first year of your BE, You've a lot of time in hand to prepare. CAT has been redesigned from three sections to two sections. First section includes Quantitative ability and Data interpretation.Second section includes Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability.

To enter into IIMs, it is very important to have good academic record along with good percentile in CAT . For that you need to do the following:
1.You need to concentrate on your academic record.Better to have 75% as minimum aggregate marks of your BE. Above 75% is always prefereable.
2. Improve your communication skills and soft skills. To be an effective manager these are must.
3.Try to win\participate in extracurricular activities like national level symposiums,quiz,elocution,seminars,debates etc.
4.Take each section(Quantitative ability,Logical reasoning,verbal ability and Data Interpretation) and do a selective study whenever you find time.
5.once you enter into your third year make sure that you allocate a few hours dedicated to only CAT preparation.
6.In your final year select one good training institute and join. Attempt as many mock CAT exam as you can. It gives you confidence and where you stood in level of preparation.
7.Finally apply for CAT and Crack it.

Go through selective books. Don't study all the material available in the market. Accuracy is very important with speed. Try to build it.

All The Best

Vega Sridhar
4th November 2011, 12:30 PM
kishoreb4

Quote:
hi,
as you are in your first year of BE dont worry you have a lot of time to prepare.
that doesnot mean to waste your time.you have to work very hard to get into iim's and other best b schools.
i suggest you to concentrate more on developing your english skills bye reading newspapers daily.you can practice aptitude and reasoning from several books.you go for coaching in your third year and follow them day to day.it makes you easier if you get good grip by the first two years.once you are having grip in english you confidence level rises a lot.you prepare full fledged for writing in your third year .then it makes you easier to perform much better in your final year.
10th November 2011, 05:34 PM
salkarsantoshi

Quote:

Hi ! dear don't worry there is solution for every problem.There is a test pack call buttcat prep for rs. 500/- most comprehensive you can get it online.
11th November 2011, 01:46 AM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

CAT - Common Admission Test

CAT is the all India entrance examination that is conducted by the IIM's to select top brains for the MBA Course .

Eligibility for CAT :
  1. A candidate must be a graduate from a recognized University having scored atleast 50% aggregate or CGPA whichever is valid.
  2. Final year appearing students can also apply for the CAT exam.

IMPORTANT DATES ::

Sale of CAT Vouchers:- Wednesday, 17 August 2011 - Monday, 26 September 2011

Registration for CAT 2011:- Wednesday, 17 August 2011 - Wednesday, 28 September 2011

CAT Test Dates:- Saturday, 22 October 2011 - Friday, 18 November 2011

CAT Result :- Wednesday 11 January 2012 .

CAT forms can be purchased at Rs 1400/- from the selected Axis Banks.

I am attaching a file which has got the whole syllabus for the CAT exam. So if you are in first year now, you have got enough time to prepare for this exam.
So that when you reach your 4th year, you can apply for this and clear it at once.

Some of the major IIM's which select candidates on the basis of their CAT score are:

Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Ahmedabad
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Bangalore
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Calcutta
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Indore
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Kozhikode
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) - Lucknow
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) - Shillong
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) - Ranchi
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Rohta
Indian Institute of Information Technology – Allahabad

All the best.

Regards
~RJ~
Attached Files
File Type: doc CAT 2012 Syllabus.doc(21.5 KB, 133 views)
3rd December 2011, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

sir i am a student of first yr mechanical...can u suggest me some tips and books to crack cat exams
19th December 2011, 09:29 PM
susmitarani sethi
Member+

You need to concentrate on your academic record.Better to have 75% as minimum aggregate marks of your BE. Above 75% is always prefereable. Improve your communication skills and soft skills. To be an effective manager these are must.Try to win\participate in extracurricular activities like national level
symposiums,quiz,elocution,seminars,debates etc.Take each section(Quantitative ability,Logical reasoning,verbal ability and Data Interpretation) and do a selective study whenever you find time.once you enter into your third year make sure that you allocate a few hours dedicated to only CAT preparation.In your final year select one good training institute and join. Attempt as many mock CAT exam as you can. It gives you confidence and where you stood in level of preparation.Finally apply for CAT and Crack it.

Go through selective books. Don't study all the material available in the market. Accuracy is very important with speed. Try to build it.

All The Best
28th January 2012, 12:34 AM
PRADIP PAUL

as you are a student of 1st year then you have three years in hand.at first you try to solve the mathematical parts of previous years and try to improve your speedness.alongwith you try to improve your knowledge which is more importent. at 3rd year you will take an institution for better preperation.
31st January 2012, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: How to prepare for CAT Exam being a candidate of pursuing 1st year in BE?

from where should i get the coachings the best??????
5th February 2012, 11:00 AM
ronaldo_12

Quote:
Dear Aadey...preapration for CAT ideally takes about 12-15 months & generally engineering students start their preparation for CAT as soon as they enter the third year...what you could do at this stage is learn & understand the concepts,basics thouroughly as this will definitely give you a upper hand as you approach the actual phase of CAT preparation i have mentioned above...

so at this point of time getting your basics clear is the key in your case
29th February 2012, 10:37 AM
vinitajoshi

Post Re: How to prepare for CAT Exam being a candidate of pursuing 1st year in BE?

First you should go through Previous year CAT Question paper, Accordingly work hard on vocabulary.

Improve your Mathematical skills with -"R.D.Sharma"

You can hire book for Reasoning -"R.S. agarwal"

Key to success is "proper time management".

& Further in Pre Final Year join coaching
8th May 2013, 03:24 PM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

Hi

First year is too early to start for CAT exam. Better concentrate on your graduation.
Graduation marks also has a weightage in MBA admission. and if by any chance you are not able to make it to good MBA college, good graduation marks would atleast get you a decent job.

I would advice you to join CAT coaching class in your pre final year. 2 year of time is very good for CAT preparation.
Coaching classes would take 1 year and would cover the entire CAT syllabus. During next year you can revise everything studied and appear for various mock test before appearing for CAT exam.
In this way you would complete your entire syllabus with revision.

All the best
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?