21st August 2013, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

How to study medicine in India?

i want to study medicine in india and i want to start january 2014

15th September 2020, 09:55 PM
deepikapandey9999

Default Re: How to study medicine in India?

This is the one subject dreaded by all the final year medicos alike.

One of the reasons for that, in my opinion, is the “WRONG APPROACH”. We tend to approach Medicine with the goal of mastering it, which is not expected at our level.

So, presenting to you! The “SMART-ASB APPROACH” to study Medicine!

I’ll be describing the principles of this approach followed by my own examples. You can use these principles in your own way!

Examiners are not going to judge your “knowledge” but your “performance”: Give importance to Clinical Postings more than Theory Lectures. Try to observe as many cases as possible during your clinical rounds. Perform all the physical examination maneuvers multiple times until you master it (obviously, practice on stable patients! ). Nobody is going to be upset if you couldn’t remember the HLA loci associated with IBD; but they’ll surely be disappointed if you couldn’t perform a simple knee jerk.
Don’t try to reinvent the wheel: Do not try to read and understand everything related to a system/topic from Harrison’s/Davidson’s; that will just consume your precious time! Instead, go through past years’ question papers set by your University or Board. First cover those topics which were repeatedly tested. Then and only then, try to read other stuff. Don’t waste time on making notes! There are lots of online resources available which will help you revise.
Go for “Active Study Methods”: We are all guilty of following the same old, rusty traditional study methods of: Highlighting, Re-reading, Making Notes, etc. All these study methods are “Passive” meaning, they don’t help us to understand and retain information in a better way. *Enter* ACTIVE READING-> This novel study method involves formulating questions to whatever we read; so that we can test ourselves in the future. Combine this with “SPACED REPETITION”, *Boom* “The Most Effective Study Strategy Ever!!”
Finally, participate in “Clinical Case Discussions”: I believe CCD is the best method to reinforce our knowledge of Medicine. Go to wards, find a good case (ask a PG student or Faculty to assign you one), take a thorough history, do all necessary examinations, and make a presentation in class. Don’t forget to note down the questions asked by your Faculty or colleagues. They are your “Practice Viva Questions”!
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?