2nd October 2012, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Is it possible to become an IAS? I am a student of 3rd year B.Tech

i am a student from 3rd b-tech electrical.suggest me all possible ways to become an I.A.S,& also how can i manage my studies in parallel

2nd October 2012, 06:12 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it possible to become an IAS? I am a student of 3rd year B.Tech

Yes it is possible for you to take up Indian Administrative Service. To do that you will have to appear for the Civil Service Examination. You can appear for the exam after completing graduation but can start preparing for it earlier.

There is two ways to prepare for IAS exam. You can either join a coaching center or you can start preparing on your own. In case you choose coaching center, then they will balance things out for you so that there is no affect on your B.Tech studies. This is a big reason why I always recommend people to go for coaching centers.

However other way is to prepare on your own. In this case you have two options. Either you start preparing as soon as possible. By doing so you will be putting less strain on yourself. The other option is to start preparing after you have completed graduation.

You can start off by doing simple things. For example read the newspaper, watch news and read political managzines. All this to prepare for the General studies papers which would be both preliminary and main exams. General Knowledge questions will be part of General studies therefore it is important that you keep an eye on all the big developments around the world.

Another thing you can do is preparing for the English language paper. Now if you English is good then this won't be a issue but otherwise you will have to work from now on to improve your English.

Watching English news and channels along with reading English newspaper would certainly help you a lot. Please remember that IAS exam also include a essay in English language. You can start practicing for English essay by writing one every few days and asking somebody in your family or friends with good English skills to check the essay out for possible mistakes.

You should also decide in advance about the optional subjects. In Preliminary there would be one paper on obtional subject while in main exam there will be 4 papers on 2 optional subjects.

A lot of people prefer to choose their graduation subject as one optional subject. You can do that as well but only if you are good at it. There are large number of candidates who instead prefer to choose subjects like Geography, History etc.

You should also download previous years question papers for Civil Service Exam from internet and solve them within the time that you will get to solve the papers in the exam. This will help you understand what are the areas where you are weak.

Eligibility

1. You must be of Indian origin.

2. A graduation degree in any stream.

3. You age should be 21 to 30 years.

4. Age limit for OBC is 21 to 33 years.

5. The age limit for SC/ST is extended to 21 to 35 years.
2nd October 2012, 10:45 AM
sumitjha14u
Senior Member+

Hello dear,

Its nice to see that you are aspiring to become an IAS officer.

IAS is commonly known as Indian Administrative Services.
To become an IAs officer you need to clear UPSC Civil Services Examination.

You can sit for the exam provided you follow the eligibility norms:

You must have completed your graduation in any stream.

Final year candidates may also apply.

Your age should be between 21 to 30 years.

There is age relaxation given for reserved categories.
SC/ST- 5 yrs
OBC- 3 yrs
PH- 10 yrs

Number of attempts:

4 in case of general
7 in case of OBC &
unlimited in case of SC/ST till they attain the age of 35 years.

There are 3 stages of examination:
Preliminary
Mains
Interview

According to latest pattern Preliminary exam is known as CSAT.

You have 2 papers in this:
General awareness
Aptitude test

If you fulfill these requirements you can fil the aplication form. Civil services exam is held every year.
For more Information log on to the official website:
www.upsc.goV.in\

good luck
2nd October 2012, 11:12 AM
violent viper

yes....

it is quite toughest...

2nd October 2012, 03:54 PM
Ravinder.Singh.Jasrotia

Friend,

-- IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service.

-- Eligibility criteria for IAS exam are:
# Candidate must be citizen of India
# Candidate must be graduate in any discipline from any recognised university.
# Candidate must be in the age limit of 21-30 years.
# However there is age relaxation in upper age for OBC by 3 years and for SC/ST by 5 years.

-- You are presently eligible for IAS exam until you completed your graduation.

-- You are advised not to waste time by waiting for completion of graduation, you should start preparation for IAS exam right now.

-- You should regularly reading the following magazines for exam preparation:
# Magazine Competition Success Review
# Magazine Pratiyogita Darpan

-- Daily read any newspaper of national level.

-- Pay attention on english improvement by reading english newspaper and listening english news on TV. Also practice for essay writing.

-- For optional subjects, refer NCERT books for clearing basic & fundamental facts.

-- Try to collect quality study material for exam.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?