7th August 2010, 03:21 AM
amit2209

Procedure to join Merchant Navy

i wanna join merchant navy i need full detail about it. I m last year student of the engineering in mechanical

7th August 2010, 07:55 AM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Procedure to join Merchant Navy

Hello friend,
Since you are a mechanical engineer, you are eligible to join merchant navy as engine cadet/junior engineer. Along with a bachelor degree in engineering, you will have to undergo a pre-sea training. The pre-sea training is conducted by MERI (Marine Engineering & Research Institute) Mumbai. The Duration of this course is 1 year. The advertisement for this course will be published in Employment News and other leading news papers in the month of November.
After successful completion of the pre-sea training, you can join Merchant Navy in the engineering department.
7th August 2010, 08:49 AM
satyavani
Senior Member++

to join merchant navy you have to do marine engineering first,'
for that you should contact maritime mumbai for further details
all the best
7th August 2010, 10:38 AM
rohity821

to join merchant navy u must b 12 passs or s graduate with 60%marks in pcm in 12 nd u have to fill forms one of the form is available now at axis bank at rs2500/-
7th August 2010, 12:29 PM
rohitkumarramesh
Senior Member++++

Hi
The following information will help you in joining the merchant navy courses which is given below:

The areas of activity in Merchant Navy are broadly grouped in three categories:
Navigation;
Engineering; and
Radio & Wireless Communication.

Navigation:
Officers in this category concern themselves with navigation of the ship, the loading and off-loading of cargo and safety of the passengers (if any) and the crew.
Engineering:
The marine engineers are responsible for efficient engineers are responsible for efficient and smooth operation of the ship. They take care of all engineering equipments installed on the ship including all electrical and refrigeration machinery.
Ratio & Wireless Communication:
This department is concerned with the shore and maintaining the equipments as well.
Eligibility for Merchant Navy
The eligibility conditions and options to join the Merchant Navy are as follows:

(1) To join the navigation or marine engineering branch of Merchant Navy, one must have a bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering or a degree of B.Sc. in Nautical Science from any recognized university of institute.

(2) One can also join as a deck cadet on board a ship after completing 10 + 2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and train on the job for three years. After the on-job training one has to appear for the competency examination, as required by the Union Ministry of Surface Transport, to be eligible to become a Navigation Officer.
Courses in Merchant Navy
The courses related to Merchant Navy should be approved by Director-General of Shipping, Government of India. The various pre-sea courses for joining Merchant Navy either as a Deck/Engineer Officer are:

A four-year degree course leading to BE (Marine) after 10+2.
The 2½ years courses leading to Alternate Training Scheme for Marine Engineers (ATS) after 10+2.
Degree courses leading to B.Sc. (Nautical Science) after 10+2.
The Graduate Mechanical Engineer course after BE/B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering.
Physical Requirements for Merchant Navy
In addition, all the candidates who apply for the degree course should be physically and mentally fit. The Navigators are required to have a perfect eyesight, though marine engineers can wear spectacles for eyesight up to plus/minus 2.5. Colour blind people need not apply.

In addition to this there are two institutes which impart training for Merchant Navy:
(a) T.S. Chanakya, Mumbai which offers a three-year degree course leading to B.Sc. in Nautical Sciences.
(b) The Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata which offers a four-year degree course leading to B.Tech. in Marine Engineering.

GOOD LUCK
7th August 2010, 01:29 PM
jicks

You can directly join MERI(Marine Engineering Researcj Institute) at Kolkata, or Mumbai without any Entrance test.
at MERI they provide 4 year Degree course which is equivalent to the First Degree in Engg. and after completion of this course you are eligible to join Senior services in Govt. of India.
Fees: 1 lac per year including boarding.

General Elgibility to join Merchant Navy is pass in +2, with physics and maths background.

Major Institutes offering Training/Certificate course are:-
T.S.Chanakya, Mumbai
MERI,Kolkata
MERI,MUmbai
Director General of Shipping, Mumbai

Log on www.merical.ac.in for further details
7th August 2010, 06:02 PM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Hello friend,

One can join merchant navy through two ways: one os marine engineering and another is B.Sc in nautical sciences.

There are pre-sea courses for aspirants who wants to be navy officers.

To join as merchant navy officers you have to pass either 4 year B.E/B.Tech course in Marine Engineering or 3-year bachelor degree course in B.Sc Nautical science.

There are four Govt merchant navy institutes :

i. Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

ii. Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.

iii. Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.

iv. Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.

You can get admitted to these through IIT-JEE or IMU conducted entrance tests..

After passing out, you will have to go through trainings of merchant navy cadets and then you will be given navy officer post.

As you have done mechanical engineering, you can join the Merchant navy as a Engine Cadet/ Fifth Engineer/ Junior Engineer and later you have to take pre-sea trainings.

All the best!
7th August 2010, 07:09 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
You can appear Indian Engineering services which is supposed to be very prestigious exam for engineers.
On qualifying IES you can opt for
Indian Naval Armament Service (mechanical engineering posts).

Another way; You can do some course related to ocean engineering and naval architecture. IIT Madras and IIT Kharagpur offers M.Tech in Ocean Engineering on the basis of GATE. Mechanical Engineers can apply for this M.Tech program and join the navy sector.
7th August 2010, 08:32 PM
yashaswini t s

Thumbs up Re: Procedure to join Merchant Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit2209 View Post
i wanna join merchant navy i need full detail about it. I m last year student of the engineering in mechanical
mainly navy os different from military navy.
There are 3 kinds of fleets in it :
1.cargo carriers
2.oil tankers and other special vehicles carriers.
3.passenger liners.

merchant navy officers spread oer 3 main AREAS :
1.captain
2.second officer
3.third officer and post that make deck workforce.

courses admissions are held through IIT-JEE exams. selected indiviuals are enrolled into 2 branches of merchant navy i.e, NAVIGATIONAL SCIENCE AND MARINE ENGINEERING.
*medical fitness is the most important thing *
B.E in marine engineering is 4 years, requires 12 years of schooling
B.sc in nautical science is 3 years, requires higher secondary education.
students must have taken science subjects with english and maths as main subject.
and one can further continue in this branch for higher education.
ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR CAREER.
7th August 2010, 11:46 PM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

There are pre-sea and post-sea training institutes under the Directorate General of Shipping, Ministry of Surface Transport.On successful completion of training the candidates are eligible to take up jobs on board Indian/foreign vessels.
I am specifying the name and brief detail of some institutes in which courses are offered.
(i) Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Hay Bunder, Tank Road Mumbai-400033. is one of the largest institutes in Asia in terms of student turn over;offers post-sea training to the Marine officers of both deck and engine in 32 various courses
(ii) Marine Engineering and Research Institutes (MERI),P-19 Taratola Road Calcutta –700088./Hay Bunder Tank Road Mumbai-400033.
The institute at Calcutta, which has a capacity of 120 students per year provides 4 years degree course in Marine Engineering
(iii) T. S. Chanakya, Karave Navi Mumbai-400706.

The shore based academy was earlier known as T. S. Dufferin and later as T. S. Rajendra;
The institute conducts two types of courses :-
1. 3 years degree course in Nautical Science with an intake capacity of 80 cadets per course under aegis of University of Mumbai.
2. 3 months pre-sea training course with an intake capacity of 120 cadets per course

For admission to these colleges one has to take test.Admission to MERI and T. S. Chanakya are through a joint entrance examination conducted by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at national level.
For the 3 months pre-sea cadets course, the candidates have to be sponsored by various shipping companies.
For 6 months Trainee Mechanical Engineering course, candidates possessing degree in mechanical engineering have to be sponsored by shipping companies.
For post-sea training course at LBS College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, the marine officers themselves approach the institutes for updating their technical competency according to the needs of STCW’ 95 and other stipulation laid down by IMO and Government of India
Apart from this IGNOU OPENNET test is also conducted every year.
8th August 2010, 10:15 PM
rohity821

Since you are a mechanical engineer, you are eligible to join merchant navy as engine cadet/junior engineer. Along with a bachelor degree in engineering, you will have to undergo a pre-sea training. The pre-sea training is conducted by MERI (Marine Engineering & Research Institute) Mumbai. The Duration of this course is 1 year. The advertisement for this course will be published in Employment News and other leading news papers in the month of November.
After successful completion of the pre-sea training, you can join Merchant Navy in the engineering department.
8th August 2010, 11:11 PM
parhitoshika
Senior Member+

After you have completed your 10+2 ,in any field, you can fill the form of bachelor of education.
so,there is nothing of specific ages,but you should fill as physical fit only then
9th August 2010, 04:29 PM
ravi k
Senior Member+

dear frnd,for merchant navy either you have to pass goverment exams or you can join private institution.
all d best.
18th August 2010, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

sir i have 48 marks in tenth english and i have completed my b.e(m.e) with 62%.
so tell me can i join merchant navy?plz provide me details for one year pre sea training
23rd August 2010, 10:29 PM
Bishwajit Giri
Senior Member+++++

Dear Friend,
u must get chance in Merchant Navy.
u may join :
1:as engine junior engineer.
2: with a bachelor degree in engineering specially marine engineering.
3:u have to do pre-sea training. The pre-sea training is conducted by MERI (Marine Engineering & Research Institute) Mumbai of duration 1 year.
Good luck
29th August 2010, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

good evening.my name is sagar joshi.i have done ATS9ALTERNATIVE TRAINING SCHEME) for marine engineers from chennai.i passed out in 2004.now i was sailing as a 5th engineer and am giving my cl-IV part-B exams from mumbai.i wanted to ask that what shall i have to do convert my qualification to degree in marine engineering or equivalent to mechanical engineering degree?and also which are the institutes providing me this facility in INDIA and abroad?please do give me a respose.thanking you.
23rd September 2010, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

I have taken degree in Mechanical engineering and now I want to take admission for one year pre ship training institute in MERI,Mumbai. I haver also contacted to MERI,Mumbai but they only take admssion for sponsored candidate. I do not know any persons whom can sponsor me. What can I do for my admission.Please suggest.Thanking you
25th September 2010, 10:21 AM
subhash1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit2209 View Post
you have give cds,ssc exam
Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

ii. Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.

iii. Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.

iv. Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.

best of luck dear
2nd February 2011, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

my age 24 years i want to do marine engineering four year degree course is it i am eligible for this programme or not
29th April 2011, 02:47 AM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th with 68%. i want to join Indian navy. can i get admission with out giving entrance exam.
30th April 2011, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

can anyone clarify my doubt , tell me the selection procedure of mechanical engineer in MERI (kalkata or mumbai ) or ts chanakya , suppose i sent a application form to these institute which was issued by the month of november in every year , after tat how they are selecting the persons .
30th April 2011, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

okay ,, in wat bassis they are selecting graduate mechanical engineer for pre - sea training course in tat institute, can u pls guide me.
9th May 2011, 01:30 PM
Unregistered

i m a student of electronics&communication engineering.can i eligible for merchant navy?
29th July 2011, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

sir/mam
i am a final year b.tech ece student. I want to join merchant navy after b.tech. For that which course i will have to choose. Please tell me the name of institutions also.
[email protected]
2nd August 2011, 10:39 AM
mithleshyadav

hello sir good morning i am final year for b.tech IT(INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
4th September 2011, 12:01 AM
Unregistered

sir,
i m the student of final year for b.e. mechanical engg. i wannna to join merchant nevy . i wanna to know abt merchant nevy full procedure and pay skills and course fee ?? give me full detail sir ???????????
31st January 2012, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

i m nitesh kumar i wanna join merchant navy i need full detail about it. I m 3rd year student of the engineering in mechanical[jaipur]
31st January 2012, 06:41 PM
mani_baban

Hi
The following information will help you in joining the merchant navy courses which is given below:

The areas of activity in Merchant Navy are broadly grouped in three categories:
Navigation;
Engineering; and
Radio & Wireless Communication.

Navigation:
Officers in this category concern themselves with navigation of the ship, the loading and off-loading of cargo and safety of the passengers (if any) and the crew.
Engineering:
The marine engineers are responsible for efficient engineers are responsible for efficient and smooth operation of the ship. They take care of all engineering equipments installed on the ship including all electrical and refrigeration machinery.
Ratio & Wireless Communication:
This department is concerned with the shore and maintaining the equipments as well.
Eligibility for Merchant Navy
The eligibility conditions and options to join the Merchant Navy are as follows:

(1) To join the navigation or marine engineering branch of Merchant Navy, one must have a bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering or a degree of B.Sc. in Nautical Science from any recognized university of institute.

(2) One can also join as a deck cadet on board a ship after completing 10 + 2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and train on the job for three years. After the on-job training one has to appear for the competency examination, as required by the Union Ministry of Surface Transport, to be eligible to become a Navigation Officer.
Courses in Merchant Navy
The courses related to Merchant Navy should be approved by Director-General of Shipping, Government of India. The various pre-sea courses for joining Merchant Navy either as a Deck/Engineer Officer are:

A four-year degree course leading to BE (Marine) after 10+2.
The 2½ years courses leading to Alternate Training Scheme for Marine Engineers (ATS) after 10+2.
Degree courses leading to B.Sc. (Nautical Science) after 10+2.
The Graduate Mechanical Engineer course after BE/B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering.
Physical Requirements for Merchant Navy
In addition, all the candidates who apply for the degree course should be physically and mentally fit. The Navigators are required to have a perfect eyesight, though marine engineers can wear spectacles for eyesight up to plus/minus 2.5. Colour blind people need not apply.

In addition to this there are two institutes which impart training for Merchant Navy:
(a) T.S. Chanakya, Mumbai which offers a three-year degree course leading to B.Sc. in Nautical Sciences.
(b) The Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata which offers a four-year degree course leading to B.Tech. in Marine Engineering.

GOOD LUCK
15th March 2012, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

i am student of 12th can i do this course,i have commerse can i
15th March 2012, 10:59 PM
TrinityKiller

The maximum age limit for joining for the course is 25 years. There are two options available for the candidate to join this stream. The first one is to join after the 12th standard. The other option is after Graduation. During the graduations candidates who are from Marine Engineering background can join directly. Those from Mechanical Engineering and B.Sc background will need to undergo Pre Sea training. Since you are from Mechanical engineering background you are eligible to join. However you will need to undergo a year of pre sea training. There will be an entrance exam and interview round. This will be followed by Physical Fitness test.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?