20th September 2016, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Steps to join Merchant Navy for Civil Engineer after B.Tech?

I am a B.Tech Civil Engineering student and interested to join Merchant Navy. How can I join Merchant Navy after completing B.Tech in Civil Engineering? What are the next steps should I follow to join?

21st September 2016, 09:27 AM
stutiswet2

Default Re: Steps to join Merchant Navy for Civil Engineer after B.Tech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a B.Tech Civil Engineering student and interested to join Merchant Navy. How can I join Merchant Navy after completing B.Tech in Civil Engineering? What are the next steps should I follow to join?
Since, you have completed your B.Tech course. So, you can get Direct entry into Merchant Navy on the basis of your graduation.

You will have to go for 9 month Pre-Sea course in Marine engineering, after which you will get Officer Level Job.
21st September 2016, 12:39 PM
sarita46
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Since your branch is Civil Engineering and this branch is considered to be non-technical branch for Merchant Navy. Electrical and Mechanical engineering are considered to be a technical branch of Merchant Navy. So, as you belong to the non-technical branch of engineering, before joining Merchant Navy you need to certain Merchant Navy course that is Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS) and then after completion of this course you can join Merchant Navy as a Deck Cadet.

Following are the institute in India offering Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)

Center for Maritime Education and Training
Address: "CMET Campus", saraiyyan Bazar, NH-24, off Sitapur Road
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Phone No : (0522) 2735015.

Cosmopolitan Technology of Maritime college- CTM
Address : No 6, Vanagaram Road, Kil Aayanampakkam, West Ambattur
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Phone No : (044) 26531593.

Haldia Institute of Maritime studies and Research- HIMSAR
Address: ICARE Complex Marine Campus
P.O Hatiberia Haldia
Mednipur, West Bengal
Phone No : (03224) 267501.

Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training
Address: No 11, Millers Road, Kilpauk
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Phone No : (044) 43439696.

Indian Maritime University- Kandla Port campus
Port Colony, New Kandla
Kutch, Gujarat
Phone No : (02836) 270055.
21st September 2016, 02:20 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

A civil engineer is not eligible to join Merchant Navy, only Mechanical Engineer and Marine Engineer are eligible to join Merchant Navy.

Merchant Navy deals with commercial services. Admission to merchant navy is made through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination. After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test. The candidate needs to complete a ship-training course prior to the employment. The course is generally short-term where the candidates are taught basic security concerns of voyaging.

Eligibility criteria required for Merchant Navy are as follows:-

- The candidate should have Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Marine Engineering or a Degree of B.Sc in Nautical Science degree in order to join in the navigation or marine engineering branch of Merchant Navy .

- The candidate must have secured a minimum of 60% in Graduation degree without any backlogs.

- The candidate age should not be more than 25 years.

-The candidate should not suffer from color blindness and should have a eyesight of 6/6.

The selection procedure involves of;

*Written Exam.

*Physical Test

* Medical Test

*Personality Interview.
21st September 2016, 05:49 PM
karishma singh kashyap
Member+

Quote:
Yes, you can apply for Merchant Navy if you are B.tech in civil engineering from a recognised institution with minimum 60% marks without any backlogs.

Norms of eligibility for Merchant Navy:-
Nationality
You should have indian nationality.

Age limit
Your age must be between 18 - 25 years at the time of application.

Selection procedure
Preliminary iterview Boards held at respective TA
Group headquarters
SSB interview
Medical and Police verification

Physical eligibility
You should be physically and mentally fit.
Eye sight-6/6
Height- 167 cm
Weight- 50 kg
Chest- 77 cm (normal) / 82 cm (expanding)

You can find details and informations about application notifications from the websites related to Merchant Navy
21st September 2016, 08:42 PM
ME471
Senior Member+++++

You must have to score at least 50% marks in your engineering for making career in merchant navy. After completion of your B.tech, you have to pursue one year Marine Engineering Course. To get admission in Graduate Marine Engineering, you have to appear in entrance exam. Try to score more than cutoff marks in your entrance exam. After that you have to participate in online counseling process to get admission in any good institute. After fulfilling the educational qualification, you also have to satisfy the medical and other age eligibility criteria. You must have have physical fitness with strong mind. Also your eye site should by 6/6 without glass. Your age must be less than 25 years to join merchant navy.
25th February 2018, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

I am doing civil engineering of second year,then how can i prepare for marchant navy?
28th February 2019, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

I heard civil engineering also is eligible for merchant navy. And what is step by step process to join the merchant navy
25th May 2019, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

I am in my last year of civil engineering diploma. I want to join merchant navy. Can I get admission for BTech in Marine engineering after completion of my diploma?
26th August 2020, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

I had completed my B.Tech In civil Engineering having approx 70% marks. Now, I want to join Merchant Navy.what should I have to do for Join the merchant navy. If any other option please reply me about that on my email id- [email protected]
10th December 2020, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

I HAD COMPLETED MY ENGINEERING IN CIVIL AM I ELIGIBLE FOR MERCHANT NAVY?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?