2nd January 2011, 06:34 PM
Farazshamim21

Steps to be taken to become a marine engineer after passing 12th?

sir,could u please tell me my first step to be taken to achieve my goal 2 become a marine engineer after passing my class 12 which i going 2 face in march

16th January 2011, 12:32 AM
drkpp
Senior Member+

Default Re: Steps to be taken to become a marine engineer after passing 12th?

To be a Marine Engineer one has to pass 10+2 exam in science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. There are many institutes in India which conduct this course. Some have their own entrance exam while some accept a score of state or national level entrance exams such as IIT-JEE.
16th January 2011, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

* Admission to Marine Engineering courses in India are generally done through several entrance examinations conducted between the months of April and June.
* Students must have 10 2 (PUC) qualification with major in subjects of physics, chemistry and mathematics.
* Following colleges offers marine engineering course.........
Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088, (West Bengal)
Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai - 400 033, (Maharashtra)
International Marine Communication Centre, 134/3 R.H. Road, near Luz Corner, Mylapore, Chennai 600004, (Tamil Nadu)
Indian Marine College, P.S. No. 1262, Kachiguda Station Road, Hyderabad 500027, (Andhra Pradesh)
Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001, (Maharashtra)
IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Powai, Mumbai 400076, (Maharashtra)
Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Hay bunder, Seweri, Mumbai - 400033, (Maharashtra)
* To find more details about the entrance exam give each college name in google website so you can get more information through college.
ALL THE BEST
16th January 2011, 03:34 PM
k.kiran

its like other branches of b-tech if u r going after 12th write exams of AIEEE,Joint Entrance Exam conducted by IIT, OPENNET exam conducted by IGNOU etc.

ELIGIBILITY:
It is also a must that the candidates must have pursued the two science subject’s i.e. Physics and Chemistry. Also along with that Mathematics should have been one of the subjects pursued
16th January 2011, 04:43 PM
ajay hooda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farazshamim21 View Post
sir,could u please tell me my first step to be taken to achieve my goal 2 become a marine engineer after passing my class 12 which i going 2 face in march
you can get all the details at this website www.angloeasterncollege.com
16th January 2011, 05:01 PM
jaya333

hai madam,
just attend anna university counselling.based on your cut off you choose colleges having marine engineering...choose B.tech......u can gain idea about propolution,design,management etc about marine system.......M.tech is forthcoming option
16th January 2011, 07:37 PM
edgeineervinay
Senior Member+

Quote:
u have to do nothing just get a look in newspapers there r thousands of article are there about to do marine engineering.
just fill out the form and u get in
best of luck
16th January 2011, 08:09 PM
srujanap

hiii.....
If you want to become marine engineer you have to do degree course or any diploma courses in marine engineering. To do degree in marine engineering you have to write an entrance exam such as AIEEE, IIT-JEE . Then you can take admission in any of the colleges offering that course.....

thank you
16th January 2011, 10:08 PM
midhunpm

There are various courses available in the field of marine engineering.The basic qualification required is Bachelors course in Marine Engineering. The duration of the course is 4 years. For those aspiring to go for further studies options like Masters in Marine Engineering, Ph. D are available. The duration for the Masters course is two years.
Who is eligible to apply?
It is a must that the candidates must be citizens of India. Only those candidates who have completed their 12th standard with PCM (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) or equivalent are eligible for B.Tech course. It is also a must that the candidates must have pursued the two science subject’s i.e. Physics and Chemistry. Also along with that Mathematics should have been one of the subjects pursued. For qualifying for the M.Tech course it is a must that the candidates complete their B.Tech. At the time for admission for the B.Tech course the candidates must have completed 17years of age.
The syllabus for the B.Tech entrance exam will cover areas like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The questions will be related to the 12th standard portion. Similarly for the M.Tech the questions will be of B.Tech level.
There are two main training centres-Training Ship Chanakya, Mumbai and Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata - which conduct courses in Marine Engineering. The New Delhi - based International Maritime Institute also conducts courses related to the field. The degree offered in these courses is that of Engineering or B.Sc. in Nautical Sciences. A number of private institutes also offer courses in Marine Engineering.
List of Institutions Offering Marine engineering
Training Ship Chanakya Karave, Nerul, Navi Mumbai - 400 706 It offers three-year B.Sc. in Nautical Sciences, which is affiliated to the University of Mumbai
Marine Engineering Research Institutes, Kolkata It offers four-year Graduate Certificate in Marine Engineering
International Maritime Institute, New Delhi
Indira Gandhi National Open University, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi It offers B.Sc. (Nautical Science)
Leading shipping companies that hire Marine Engineers :
Shipping Corporation of India. 13, Strand Road, Kolkata - 700 001
Shipping Corporation of India. 245 Cama Road, Mumbai - 400 021
Binny International 101, Marine Lines, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021
The Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd. T.S.Jawahar Pilot Bunder, Colaba, Mumbai - 400 005
Tolani Shipping Company Ltd. 10 A, Bakhtawar Road, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021
Kerala Lines Ltd. Wheel House, Indira Gandhi Road, Willingdon Island, Cochin, Kerala - 682 003
National Institute of Port Management Training Coordinator (Marine), East Coast Road, Ulthnadi, Chennai - 600 096
Dredging Corporation of India Ltd. Dredge House, Port Area, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh - 530 035
Poompuhar Shipping Corporation 304 - 305 Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai - 600 018
Gujarat Marine Ltd. 6/28 Silver Apartments, Akurli Road, No.1 Kandivili East, Mumbai - 400 001
17th January 2011, 12:16 AM
venkataprakash.v
Senior Member+++++

Quote:

dear friend.

you want marine engineer.you have minimum 60% marks in the physics,chemistry,maths.this the major subjects.And fluency in English.there
is a various course.They conducted the entrance exam prepare for that.
all the best..........
17th January 2011, 08:18 PM
prateek tyagi

THERE ARE TWO METHODS .
FIRST YOU CAN FILL IIT FORM ALSO YOU MUST FILL TS CHANAKYA FORM.YOU HAVE TO GAIN MINIMUM QUALIFYING MARKS IN IIT FOR TS CHANAKYA.THERE IS NO SEPERATE EXAM FOR TS CHANAKYA.
SECOND YOU CAN FILL IMU FORM .THIS EXAM IS HELD TWICE IN A YEAR IN JUNE AND IN DECEMBER.YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IMU FORMW FROM

www.imu.tn.nic.in
13th February 2011, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

from where do i get form in lucknow of marine eng. Of chennai shipping school 12th pass?
15th February 2011, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

sir,without entrance we cant join?
9th March 2011, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

sir
after completing 12th to become a marine eng what should we do???
10th March 2011, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

sir
can u please tel me about the minimum marks in 11th and 12th for the eligibility for the entrance exam and is it necessary to write AIEEE and IIT exams for the entrance of marine engg institutions
27th April 2011, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Any chances there to join Marine engineering course without entrance exam?
30th April 2011, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

which group best for become a marine engineer marine
16th May 2011, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

What is admission fees for sc students in lbs institute.
20th May 2011, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

I am expecting result for the final year diploma in mechanical engineering. I wish to join B.tech marine engineering course in Anglo eastern maritime academy in mumbai. please guide me. Are you allowing me to enter in 2nd year B.tech marine engineering? Please guide me. My email Id is [email protected].
5th June 2011, 09:58 PM
sashant

Default Re:

will i get admission in marine engeenering,i have got 52% in 12th science
9th June 2011, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th this year with 68.5% ,i have scored 21 marks in AIEEE, i did'ntappeared for IIT can i become a marine engineer
-AKSHAY
21st March 2012, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Is cut off enough for marine engineerin
28th May 2012, 12:21 PM
denwer

Smile Re: Steps to be taken to become a marine engineer after passing 12th?

Quote:

DEAR FRIEND!!!

hi..
Marine engineering is one of the most demanded and challenging branch of the globe. It is also a well known fact that marine engineers are the highest paid engineers. To join such courses you have to be adventurous and courageous.

The various requirements to join marine engineering courses are:-

Education qualification:- 10+2 or equivalent with physics or maths. (Minimum marks in PCM in class 12th must be 60% and in english it must be 50%).

Physical standards:- You must be physically fit in all respect. The minimum acceptable eye sight for standard vision is +2.5 or -2.5(must not exceed it.). You must not be colour blind and free from any type of eye diseases.
(THE PHYSICAL STANDARDS ARE ACCORDING TO THE NORMS OF D.G.SHIPPING. YOU HAVE TO PRODUCE A PHYSICAL FITNESS CERTIFICATE FROM A RECOGNIZED D.G.SHIPPING DOCTOR AT THE TIME OF ADMISSION.)

The various reputed institutes along with their admission procedures are listed below:-

1. MARINE ENGINEERING AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE (MERI), TARATALA, KOLKATA.

2. MARINE ENGINEERING AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE, MUMBAI.

3. LAL BAHUDAR SHASHTRI COLLEGE OF ADVANCED MARITIME STUDIES AND RESEARCH, MUMBAI.

4. NATIONAL MARITIME ACADEMY, CHENNAI.

5. INDIAN INSTITUTE OF PORT MANAGEMENT, KOLKATA.

Admission procedure:- Admission to all these colleges are through IIT-JEE or examination conducted by IMU,chennai.

6. COCHIN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (K.M. SCHOOL OF MARINE ENGINEERING), KOCHI.

Admission procedure:- Through the entrance exam conducted by the university namely CUSAT-CAT.

Fee structure:- Marine engineering course is a little costly. It may cost you Rs 2,21,000/- to Rs. 2,50,000/- (including all) per year. However the fee structure may vary depending upon the college you opt for.

Thank you and all the best!!!
9th June 2012, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

sir i didn'nt appear iit-jee but appear in aieee & mht-cet and i got 72.38% in 12' class should i able to become marine engineer
8th July 2012, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

any girl can do marine engineering she can do it
9th July 2012, 04:06 PM
martha.anjaneyulu
Senior Member+++

Quote:
HI!
I am happy to inform you that you are eligible for Marine engineering After passing 12th with science stream.

Friend for this you have to qualify the entrance exam like:-
> A.I.E.E.E
> V.I.E.E.E
> I.M.T.I
etc

TOP MARINE ENGINEERING COLLEGE:-

IIT Kharagpur-Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

IIT Madras-Indian Institute of Technology

Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies- Mumbai

PSN College of Engineering and Technology, Tirunelveli

Padmabhushan Vasantdada Patil Pratishthan’s College of Engineering, Mumbai

C.V.Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneswar

GOD LUCK!
20th August 2012, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th standard with 90%. is there any fee concession for me in marine engineering?
19th October 2012, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

if there is any possibilities to join marine engg without entrance exam,and is there merit in this course or not
15th December 2012, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

what is fee of marine Engineearing in IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Powai, Mumbai 400076, (Maharashtra)
24th October 2013, 03:43 PM
JETAIRWAYS

A marine engineer is required to have expertise in all the areas which help in making the vehicle conducive for the crew member. The marine engineer is required to have the knowledge in areas right from designing the vehicle, erection, installation to the operation. Maintenance of the propulsion and other system like fuel lamp, water distillation, air conditioner, refrigeration etc are some of the areas. This field provides excellent opportunities. Also this is very fascinating for those who are interested in working in ships or the coast.

There are various courses available in the field of marine engineering. The basic qualification required is Bachelors course in Marine Engineering. The duration of the course is 4 years. For those aspiring to go for further studies options like Masters in Marine Engineering, Ph. D are available. The duration for the Masters course is two years.

Qualifying Exam

In order to qualify for the Bachelor’s program the candidates will be required to appear for the various entrance exams like the All India Engineering Entrance Exam, Joint Entrance Exam conducted by IIT, OPENNET exam conducted by IGNOU etc. For admission to the Masters course most of the institutes conduct entrance exams like GATE.

Who is eligible to apply?

It is a must that the candidates must be citizens of India. Only those candidates who have completed their 12th standard or equivalent are eligible for B.Tech course. It is also a must that the candidates must have pursued the two science subject’s i.e. Physics and Chemistry. Also along with that Mathematics should have been one of the subjects pursued. For qualifying for the M.Tech course it is a must that the candidates complete their B.Tech. At the time for admission for the B.Tech course the candidates must have completed 17years of age.

How to prepare for the exam and interview?

The syllabus for the B.Tech entrance exam will cover areas like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The questions will be related to the 12th standard portion. Similarly for the M.Tech the questions will be of B.Tech level. Solving past years paper will be helpful both in knowing the pattern of the paper and also in gaining confidence. Based on the score the candidates will be selected for an interview by the institutes. Students should make sure that they answer correctly and to the point at the time of the interview.

Reference books for 12th students for B.Tech in Marine Engineering

Some of the reference books for students are

Mathematics XI & XII by R.S. Agarwal
Organic Chemistry by Arihant Prakashan
A collection of questions and Problems in Physics by L.A. Sena
Aptitude Test Problems in Physics by S.S Krotov
A Problem Book in Mathematical Analysis by G.N. Berman
Advanced Level Physics by Nelkon and Parker
Physical Chemistry by P.W. Atkins
Higher Algebra by Hall & Knight
IIT Chemistry by O.P. Agarwal

Career Information

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment prospects for marine engineers were expected to increase by six percent between 2008-2018, which is significantly slower than other engineering specialties (www.bls.gov). However, an increased number of retiring marine engineers are creating opportunities for students earning degrees. Employing less than 9,000 educated professionals, marine engineering is a specialty field with a limited number of practitioners in the United States.

Industries employing the most marine engineers include marine equipment and boat building companies. Marine engineers can also find employment with government agencies, marine-concentrated manufacturing companies and agriculture firms.
Salary Info

The high level of education and technical knowledge possessed by marine engineers is reflected in their earnings. In May 2008, the BLS reported that marine engineers earned a median annual salary worth $74,140. Marine engineers with sufficient expertise and experience earned as much as $118,630 in May 2008. More than 77% of marine engineers earned set salaries rather than an hourly wage

All the best.
15th April 2015, 02:00 AM
Unregistered

When we filling application form of imu ,they ask programes to select ug ,mba , mtech . i want to ask u that which program shoud i select after 12th , i want to do marine engineering n i select mtech is this right choice , pls tell me
1st May 2015, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Sir i have appeared for 12th exams,im enterester in marine engineering. Will please help me
30th June 2019, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

After completing my BE marine coarse how can i get to sailing, where i will go ... ? What should i do...?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?