30th April 2018, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

Is there any special reservation relating to marks for admission in IITs?

Can I get admission into any of the IITs? I scored 42 JEE Main and I belong to Schedule Tribes caste category. Isn't there any special concession or reservation for ST candidates?

Related Questions:
25th May 2018, 02:00 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is there any special reservation relating to marks for admission in IITs?

IIT refers to Indian Institute of Technology and for admission in same for pursuing undergraduate technical degree course i.e; B.E./B.Tech you need to qualify both stages of JEE ( Joint Entrance Examination ) i.e; JEE Main and JEE Advanced held by CBSE.

Now, as far as you are concerned about the provision of relaxation for ST ( Scheduled Tribes ) candidates in cutoffs of JEE then I would like to let you know that there certainly exists relaxation in cutoffs of JEE at both stages for all reserved category candidates and hence you are eligible for appearing in JEE Main after securing 42 marks as the cutoffs for ST category candidates is 24 marks while the same for general category candidates is 74 marks.

For more details regarding JEE and reservation & relaxation allowed for reserved category candidates in JEE you can refer to the link www.jeemain.nic.in.
26th May 2018, 05:07 PM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is there any special reservation relating to marks for admission in IITs?

This is the cut off list for JEE Main 2018.
General: 74
OBC-NCL: 45
SC: 29
ST: 24
PwD: -35

As you have secured 42 marks in JEE Main. So, being a ST category candidate, you are eligible for appearing into JEE Advanced exam.

Admission into IITs is entirely dependent on your performance of JEE Advanced exam.

According to last year JEE Advanced exam, any ST candidate must have secured at least 17% marks (i.e. 64 marks) in JEE Advanced exam to be eligible for admission into IITs.

However, till now, JEE Advanced cut off list is not released by IIT Kanpur.
26th May 2018, 10:12 PM
Career Expert
Senior Member+++++

Yes, there is relaxation in marks for reserved category candidates to get admission in IIT. After qualify the JEE Main examination, you have to participate in the counselling process according to your examination rank, so, that you will be offered admission in a particular college for pursuing your higher studies in IIT.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?