31st May 2011, 01:52 AM
SSoumyaa

What is IIT JAM? Eligibility criteria and syllabus of the exam?

Sir,i want to job after b.sc.what is IIT JAM please send me elligbelity,jobs,syllabus,career details

4th August 2011, 04:10 PM
sachin200792

Default Re: What is IIT JAM? Eligibility criteria and syllabus of the exam?

IIT JAM is a test joint admission for M.Sc. in maths physics and chemistry.
It is conducted by IIT for the candidates holding B.Sc. degree.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:

The candidates who qualify in JAM 2011 shall have to fulfill the following eligibility criteria for admissions in IITs.

At least 55% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for General/OBC category candidates and at least 50% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for SC, ST and PD category candidates in the qualifying degree.
For candidates with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s).
Proof of having passed the qualifying degree with the minimum educational qualification as specified by the admitting institute should be submitted by 30th September 2011.
At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of registration, the admitted candidates may also have to undergo a physical fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. In case a candidate is not found to be physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be cancelled.

Note:

(i) It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to prove that he/she satisfies the minimum educational qualifications and eligibility requirements for admissions.

(ii)The admitting institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force.

Syllabus:

CHEMISTRY (CY)
PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY

Basic Mathematical Concepts: Differential equations, vectors and matrices.

Atomic Structure: Fundamental particles. Bohr’s theory of hydrogen atom; Wave-particle duality; Uncertainty principles; Schrodinger’s wave equation; Quantum numbers, shapes of orbitals; Hund’s rule and Pauli’s exclusion principle.

Theory of Gases: Kinetic theory of gases. Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution law; Equipartition of energy.
Chemical Thermodynamics: Reversible and irreversible processes; First law and its application to ideal and nonideal gases; Thermochemistry; Second law; Entropy and free energy, Criteria for spontaneity.

Chemical and Phase Equilibria: Law of mass action; Kp , Kc, Kx and Kn ; Effect of temperature on K; Ionic equilibria in solutions; pH and buffer solutions; Hydrolysis; Solubility product; Phase equilibria–Phase rule and its application to one-component and two-component systems; Colligative properties.
Electrochemistry: Conductance and its applications; Transport number; Galvanic cells; EMF and Free energy; Concentration cells with and without transport; Polarography.

Chemical Kinetics: Reactions of various order, Arrhenius equation, Collision theory; Theory of absolute reaction rate; Chain reactions – Normal and branched chain reactions; Enzyme kinetics; Photophysical and photochemical processes; Catalysis.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY

Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry: Isomerism and nomenclature, electronic (resonance and inductive) effects. Optical isomerism in compounds containing one and two asymmetric centres, designation of absolute configuration, conformations of cyclohexanes.
Aromaticity and Huckel’s rule: Mono and bicyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications: Methods of preparation and reactions of alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, arenes and their simple functional derivatives. Mechanism and synthetic applications of electrophilic aromatic substitution. Stereochemistry and mechanism of aliphatic nucleophilic substitution and elimination reactions. Mechanism of aldol condensation, Claisen condensation, esterification and ester hydrolysis, Cannizzaro reaction, benzoin condensation. Perkin reaction, Claisen rearrangement, Beckmann rearrangement and Wagner-Meerwein rearrangement. Synthesis of simple molecules using standard reactions of organic chemistry. Grignard reagents, acetoacetic and malonic ester chemistry.

Natural Products Chemistry: Introduction to the following classes of compounds-alkaloids, terpenes, carbohydrates, amino acids, peptides and nucleic acids.
Heterocyclic Chemistry: Monocyclic compounds with one hetero atom.

Qualitative Organic Analysis: Functional group interconversions, structural problems using chemical reactions, identification of functional groups by chemical tests.

INORGANIC CHEMISTRY

Periodic Table: Periodic classification of elements and periodicity in properties; general methods of isolation and purification of elements.

Chemical Bonding and Shapes of Compounds: Types of bonding; VSEPR theory and shapes of molecules; hybridization; dipole moment; ionic solids; structure of NaCl, CsCl, diamond and graphite; lattice energy.

Main Group Elements (s and p blocks): Chemistry with emphasis on group relationship and gradation in properties; structure of electron deficient compounds of main group elements and application of main group elements.

Transition Metals (d block): Characteristics of 3d elements; oxide, hydroxide and salts of first row metals; coordination complexes; VB and Crystal Field theoretical approaches for structure, colour and magnetic properties of metal complexes.

Analytical Chemistry: Principles of qualitative and quantitative analysis; acid-base, oxidation-reduction and precipitation reactions; use of indicators; use of organic reagents in inorganic analysis; radioactivity; nuclear reactions; applications of isotopes

MATHEMATICS (MA)
Sequences, Series and Differential Calculus: Sequences of real numbers. Convergent sequences and series, absolute and conditional convergence. Mean value theorem. Taylor's theorem. Maxima and minima of functions of a single variable. Functions of two and three variables. Partial derivatives, maxima and minima.

Integral Calculus: Integration, Fundamental theorem of calculus. Double and triple integrals, Surface areas and volumes.

Differential Equations: Ordinary differential equations of the first order of the form y'=f(x,y). Linear differential equations of second order with constant coefficients. Euler-Cauchy equation. Method of variation of parameters.

Vector Calculus: Gradient, divergence, curl and Laplacian. Green's, Stokes and Gauss theorems and their applications.

Algebra: Groups, subgroups and normal subgroups, Lagrange's Theorem for finite groups, group homomorphisms and basic concepts of quotient groups, rings, ideals, quotient rings and fields.

Linear Algebra: Systems of linear equations. Matrices, rank, determinant, inverse. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces over Real and Complex Numbers, Basis, Dimension, Linear Transformations.

Real Analysis: Open and closed sets, limit points, completeness of R, Uniform Continuity, Uniform convergence, Power series.

PHYSICS (PH)
Mathematical Methods: Calculus of single and multiple variables, partial derivatives, Jacobian, imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion, Fourier series. Vector algebra, Vector Calculus, Multiple integrals, Divergence theorem, Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem. First and linear second order differential equations. Matrices and determinants, Algebra of complex numbers.

Mechanics and General Properties of Matter: Newton's laws of motion and applications, Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian, polar and cylindrical coordinate systems, uniformly rotating frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces, Motion under a central force, Kepler's laws, Gravitational Law and field, Conservative and non-conservative forces. System of particles, Centre of mass, equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum, conservation of energy, variable mass systems. Elastic and inelastic collisions. Rigid body motion, fixed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia. Principal moments and axes. Elasticity, Hooke's law and elastic constants of isotropic solid, stress energy. Kinematics of moving fluids, equation of continuity, Euler's equation, Bernoulli's theorem, viscous fluids, surface tension and surface energy, capillarity.

Oscillations, Waves and Optics: Differential equation for simple harmonic oscillator and its general solution. Superposition of two or more simple harmonic oscillators. Lissajous figures. Damped and forced oscillators, resonance. Wave equation, traveling and standing waves in one-dimension. Energy density and energy transmission in waves. Group velocity and phase velocity. Sound waves in media. Doppler Effect. Fermat's Principle. General theory of image formation. Thick lens, thin lens and lens combinations. Interference of light, optical path retardation. Fraunhofer diffraction. Rayleigh criterion and resolving power. Diffraction gratings. Polarization: linear, circular and elliptic polarization. Double refraction and optical rotation.

Electricity and Magnetism: Coulomb's law, Gauss's law. Electric field and potential. Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of Laplace's equation for simple cases. Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy.

Biot-Savart law, Ampere's law, Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance. Alternating currents. Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L and C components. Displacement current, Maxwell's equations and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting's theorem, reflection and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reflection coefficients (normal incidence only). Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics: Elements of Kinetic theory of gases. Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy. Specific heat of Mono-, di- and tri-atomic gases. Ideal gas, van-der-Waals gas and equation of state. Mean free path. Laws of thermodynamics. Zeroeth law and concept of thermal equilibrium. First law and its consequences. Isothermal and adiabatic processes. Reversible, irreversible and quasi-static processes. Second law and entropy. Carnot cycle. Maxwell's thermodynamic relations and simple applications. Thermodynamic potentials and their applications. Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

Modern Physics: Inertial frames and Galilean invariance. Postulates of special relativity. Lorentz transformations. Length contraction, time dilation. Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass energy equivalence. Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr's atomic model, X-rays. Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, Schrodinger equation and its solution for one, two and three dimensional boxes. Reflection and transmission at a step potential, tunneling through a barrier. Pauli exclusion principle. Distinguishable and indistinguishable particles. Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics. Structure of atomic nucleus, mass and binding energy. Radioactivity and its applications. Laws of radioactive decay. Fission and fusion.

Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics: Crystal structure, Bravais lattices and basis. Miller indices. X-ray diffraction and Bragg's law, Einstein and Debye theory of specific heat. Free electron theory of metals. Fermi energy and density of states. Origin of energy bands. Concept of holes and effective mass. Elementary ideas about dia-, para- and ferromagnetism, Langevin's theory of paramagnetism, Curie's law. Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. Fermi level. p-n junctions, transistors. Transistor circuits in CB, CE, CC modes. Amplifier circuits with transistors. Operational amplifiers. OR, AND, NOR and NAND gates.
10th August 2011, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

what is cutoff marks so we get admission in itt?
13th September 2011, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

wat is the real way to beat the jam examination will u kindly tell me in brief way
22nd September 2011, 04:23 PM
Unregistered

i have secured 54% marks in second year?am i eligible for this exam?
22nd September 2011, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

i have secured 54% in second year(bsc computer science).Am I eligible to appear in this exam?
27th October 2011, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

is electronics a main paper of iit jam exam
2nd November 2011, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Sir,

Myself Pradip Singh is student of B.Sc. IIIrd Year with Geology
(Hons), Chemisrty and Computer Science subject. I have passed 10 2
with Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and Hindi as subject.
Kindly let me know that I am eliglible for entrance for JAM.
Thanking you for your kind help in advance.
Yours sincerely
Pradip
12th February 2012, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Im a graduate with physics as honours.can i apply for Msc in chemistry.all tell me the the age restriction for jam .
18th March 2012, 08:09 AM
Unregistered

sir, i completed 12th in yr 2002. but due to some reason couldnt continue my study for 7 yrs. now i m going to complete my graduation in 2012 in maths. am i eligible to appear in iitjam?
31st March 2012, 08:49 PM
Unregistered

i am reading in class 12th of medical stream. i want to know can a medical student enter in bsc biotech in iit? please tell if there is any entrance test and how to enter in.
23rd April 2012, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

I am a student of second year B.C.A.
can i also give JAM test for persuing MCA course?
if ,so please tell me the criteria for applying to the course and syllabus for the exam .
what colleges are available if i clear the JAM exam?
8th October 2012, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

what is the maximum age required for iit jam
11th July 2013, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

sir, what is the requriment for the physical fitness test for iit jam
14th July 2013, 01:46 PM
Unregistered

Sir please tell me that can i give jam entrance if i am doing my graduation ba,maths.
18th August 2013, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

where is Bsc (geophysics)course is available. is it in BHU OR ISM
18th August 2013, 03:21 PM
nellipudi.santhoshkumar
Senior Member++++

hai,

Admissions to various academic programmes at different institutes will be made on the basis of merit in JAM.The JAM 2013 is open to all nationals (Indian / Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to academic programmes covered under JAM 2013 need to appear in JAM 2013. There is no age restriction.

To apply for admission in a desired programme, a candidate is required to qualify in the corresponding test paper and also satisfy the minimum educational qualifications and eligibility criteria of the respective academic programme.

IIT JAM details:

JAM examination is conducted for IIT. It's main objective through this exam is to take admission in M.Sc, Ph.D or Integrated Ph.D course.

Eligibility Criteria:

Candidates must have 55% marks in your degree course including subsidiary and mains papers.

Candidates comes under the SC/ST category then your minimum marks should be 50%.

Candidates should have passing certificate/any proof for passing out the degree course.

Exam syllabus:-

1.Analytical Ability.

2.Computer Awareness.

3.General awareness.

4.Mathematics.

Note:The questions will be objective type with multiple answers.There will be 1/3 negative marking for each wrong answers.

all the best..............
29th August 2013, 12:56 AM
maruthidevi

IIT JAM is a test joint admission for M.Sc. in maths physics and chemistry.
It is conducted by IIT for the candidates holding B.Sc. degree.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:

The candidates who qualify in JAM 2011 shall have to fulfill the following eligibility criteria for admissions in IITs.

At least 55% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for General/OBC category candidates and at least 50% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for SC, ST and PD category candidates in the qualifying degree.
For candidates with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s).
Proof of having passed the qualifying degree with the minimum educational qualification as specified by the admitting institute should be submitted by 30th September 2011.
At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of registration, the admitted candidates may also have to undergo a physical fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. In case a candidate is not found to be physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be cancelled.

Note:

(i) It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to prove that he/she satisfies the minimum educational qualifications and eligibility requirements for admissions.

(ii)The admitting institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force.

Syllabus:

CHEMISTRY (CY)
PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY

Basic Mathematical Concepts: Differential equations, vectors and matrices.

Atomic Structure: Fundamental particles. Bohr’s theory of hydrogen atom; Wave-particle duality; Uncertainty principles; Schrodinger’s wave equation; Quantum numbers, shapes of orbitals; Hund’s rule and Pauli’s exclusion principle.

Theory of Gases: Kinetic theory of gases. Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution law; Equipartition of energy.
Chemical Thermodynamics: Reversible and irreversible processes; First law and its application to ideal and nonideal gases; Thermochemistry; Second law; Entropy and free energy, Criteria for spontaneity.

Chemical and Phase Equilibria: Law of mass action; Kp , Kc, Kx and Kn ; Effect of temperature on K; Ionic equilibria in solutions; pH and buffer solutions; Hydrolysis; Solubility product; Phase equilibria–Phase rule and its application to one-component and two-component systems; Colligative properties.
Electrochemistry: Conductance and its applications; Transport number; Galvanic cells; EMF and Free energy; Concentration cells with and without transport; Polarography.

Chemical Kinetics: Reactions of various order, Arrhenius equation, Collision theory; Theory of absolute reaction rate; Chain reactions – Normal and branched chain reactions; Enzyme kinetics; Photophysical and photochemical processes; Catalysis.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY

Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry: Isomerism and nomenclature, electronic (resonance and inductive) effects. Optical isomerism in compounds containing one and two asymmetric centres, designation of absolute configuration, conformations of cyclohexanes.
Aromaticity and Huckel’s rule: Mono and bicyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications: Methods of preparation and reactions of alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, arenes and their simple functional derivatives. Mechanism and synthetic applications of electrophilic aromatic substitution. Stereochemistry and mechanism of aliphatic nucleophilic substitution and elimination reactions. Mechanism of aldol condensation, Claisen condensation, esterification and ester hydrolysis, Cannizzaro reaction, benzoin condensation. Perkin reaction, Claisen rearrangement, Beckmann rearrangement and Wagner-Meerwein rearrangement. Synthesis of simple molecules using standard reactions of organic chemistry. Grignard reagents, acetoacetic and malonic ester chemistry.
29th August 2013, 07:13 PM
HUM 00

HELLO

JAM examination is conducted for IIT.

It's main objective through this exam is to take admission in M.Sc, Ph.D or Integrated Ph.D course.

Eligibility Criteria:Candidates must have 55% marks in your degree course including subsidiary and mains papers.

Candidates comes under the SC/ST category then your minimum marks should be 50%.

Candidates should have passing certificate/any proof for passing out the degree course.

The questions will be objective type with multiple answers.There will be 1/3 negative marking for each wrong answers.

Analytical Ability.
Computer Awareness.
General awareness.
Mathematics.

BEST OF LUCK
15th September 2013, 10:25 PM
Cholleti Niranjan

Location: I lived in my own village palivela,Nalgonda district ,andrapradesh.

Students who have completed degree with minimum of 55% marks are eligible to write JAM.You can attempt JAM only two times.There is no age limit to write JAM.Through JAM you can do MSc in physics/maths/chemistry/geology/computer science.
16th September 2013, 12:44 AM
sandeepsaini.saini522
Senior Member+++++

Hi,
JAM examination is conducted for IIT.

It's main objective through this exam is to take admission in M.Sc, Ph.D or Integrated Ph.D course.

Eligibility Criteria:Candidates must have 55% marks in your degree course including subsidiary and mains papers.

The questions will be objective type with multiple answers.There will be 1/3 negative marking for each wrong answers.

Analytical Ability.
Computer Awareness.
General awareness.
Mathematics.

All the best..........................
21st June 2014, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: What is IIT JAM? Eligibility criteria and syllabus of the exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoumyaa View Post
Sir,i want to job after b.sc.what is IIT JAM please send me elligbelity,jobs,syllabus,career details
jo

joint admission test for M.Sc conducted by I I T in month of feb every year for different discipline from INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECNOLOGY
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?