20th July 2015, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

Which subject I need to take up in B.Com Graduation to get into IAS?

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am Ganesh kr. Sinha ..i did my graduation in bcom as my
specialization.my only aim is IAS.. but im new to this.i mean i dont
have the idea on how to choose the subjects in optional subjects in
the preliminary exam. So, kindly can you tell me what subject I
must choose for this exam and other information regarding this exam..

thanks & regards,
Ganesh kr. Sinha

20th July 2015, 04:13 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which subject I need to take up in B.Com Graduation to get into IAS?

I.A.S stands for the Indian Administrative Services and it is among the best services as an officer. To become an I.A.S the candidate need to qualify in the Civil Services Examination which is conducted by the UPSC every year.

Yes, you are eligible to appear for the examination and impressed with your determination as your only aim is an I.A.S. The examination is conducted in the three stages and the candidate need to qualify in all the stages for the final selection.

There is no restriction on the selection of the optional paper as the candidate can select the paper other than the discipline of the graduation. So you can select the optional as one in which you have more interest.

The application for the 2015 examination is closed. So you have to wait for the next year to appear in the examination. For more information visit at the www.upsc.gov.in
20th July 2015, 06:01 PM
Prashantwin
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which subject I need to take up in B.Com Graduation to get into IAS?

List of Optional subjects for IAS exams : Agriculture Management, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mathematics, Anthropology, Mechanical Engineering, Botany, Medical, Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce & Accountancy, Political Science & International Relations, Economics, Psychology, Electrical Engineering, Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian History, Zoology and Law

You have to choose that subject that you find very easy for you. Choose that subject of which you have good knowledge.
As you have completed B.Com you should opt for accountancy, statistics, economics.
20th July 2015, 08:24 PM
Uthradhi
Senior Member+

To become an IAS officer, you need to crack the Civil Service Examination. This examination is conducted by UPSC once in a year. The basic education qualification to apply for this examination is that the candidate should have completed graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university or equivalent qualification. You must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years as on 1st August of the year of examination. Upper age limits are applicable for reserved categories.

Optional Subjects for Main Examination:
  • Agriculture
  • Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
  • Anthropology
  • Botany
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Commerce and Accountancy
  • Economics
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • History
  • Law
  • Management
  • Mathematics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Medical Science
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Political Science and International Relations
  • Psychology
  • Public Administration
  • Sociology
  • Statistics
  • Zoology

There are no optional subjects for preliminary examination. The optional subjects will be available in main examination. The preliminary examination consist of two papers: Paper - I General Studies and Paper - II Aptitude Test.

Preliminary Examination Pattern:

21st July 2015, 12:21 AM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for the Indian Administrative Services and it is one of the most prestigious and job of pride. To become an I.A.S the candidate need hard work, dedication and determination. The examination is among the toughest examination and considered as the mother of all examination.

There is no special examination for the I.A.S as there is common examination for the I.A.S/I.P.S/I.F.S which is known as the Civil services examination.

The examination is conduced by the UPSC once every year. The candidate need to qualify in all the three stages of the Civil services.

As there is no bar regarding the discipline and the aggregate of the graduation. So you can select the one you like most. Other than this there is no bar on selecting the optional paper so you can select anyone. But must be attentive while selecting as thousands of aspirant make mistake.

The examination for the first stage 2015 is on 23rd August and the application is closed for this year.

For more information visit at the www.upsc.gov.in
21st July 2015, 01:27 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello Sir/Madam,

I am Ganesh kr. Sinha ..i did my graduation in bcom as my
specialization.my only aim is IAS.. but im new to this.i mean i dont
have the idea on how to choose the subjects in optional subjects in
the preliminary exam. So, kindly can you tell me what subject I
must choose for this exam and other information regarding this exam..

thanks & regards,
Ganesh kr. Sinha
You are from Commerce background so you can choose commerce subject for optional subject for IAS exam.

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. IAS exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. IAS exam is conducted one time in a year.

If you have completed graduation in any discipline from a recognized university then you are eligible for IAS exam.

Age Criteria:

For General: 21 to 30 years
For OBC: 21 to 33 years
For SC/ST: 21 to 35 years

No. of Attempts:

For General: 3
For OBC: 7
For SC/ST: No Restriction

Selection process for IAS exam:

1)Preliminary test
2)Mains exam
3)Personal interview
1st October 2015, 12:06 AM
vinoth1921

->As you study B.Com, you have hell lot of opportunities outside the course.
-->If you are looking for higher studies,
-Clear CAT and join M.B.A in a very goo colleges like IIM's
-M.Com will be the best option after doing your Bachelor's in B.Com/
-You can also join Law by applying through LLB.
-You can also try for Bank Exams/ Railways/ Defense/ SSC.
-->UPSC conducts many exams like Civil Service(IAS/ IPS/ IFS etc.) for Civil service aspirants.

-->Eligibility
-Citizen of India
-Should be a Graduate
-Age Limit - 21-30 yrs
-Some post require Physical qualifications.

-->Examination Process
-Preliminary Exam
-Main Written Exam
-Interview
3rd October 2020, 12:59 AM
Unregistered

Hi sir, currently am pursuing my graduation from b.com steam..so I want to know that in the mains exam is it compulsory to choose either commerce or economics ..or I can choose any subject from my interest?
26th December 2020, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

Can I do MBA and get couching to IAS simultaneously
13th January 2021, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Hi sir/ mam , currently I am pursuing my graduation from b.com stream so I want to know that what subjects I can choose as my additional subject to become an ias officer or for clearing this exam .
16th January 2021, 01:15 PM
jjgupta915

According to me, you can take a look at the list of the optional subjects for UPSC and choose that subject in which you have a keen interest.
14th June 2022, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

If I am reading bcom means I can try for IAS?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?