6th June 2015, 01:09 AM
Unregistered

Preferred subject to choose in graduation in order to prepare for IAS?

i m in class 12th and i have taken commerce with maths and i m confused that which subject i should choose for graduation , when i am interested in IAS . And i am not interested in maths. Which field is better for IAS which will help me in future. So please help me and guide me in this matter .

6th June 2015, 10:15 AM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Preferred subject to choose in graduation in order to prepare for IAS?

The selection of subject for your graduation after 12th with Commerce in order to preparing for IAS depends upon your interest and strength. No subject is easy or tough it is just your perception about a particular subject which makes it easier or tougher.

If you are enjoying the your current studies then there is no need of the changing of stream for your graduation as the examination will consists of questions related to the base of your subject of graduation and you will have the better knowledge of that subject which you are studying till now.

But if you are not enjoying your current studies then you can switch for bachelor degree course with the arts stream from a recognized university.

Also to become an IAS you will have to crack the Civil Services examination held by Union Public Service Commission once every year. IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service and it is highest civilian post in the administrative field.

For more information regarding the pattern and eligibility for the same examination log on to the link www.upsc.gov.in.
6th June 2015, 03:56 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Preferred subject to choose in graduation in order to prepare for IAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i m in class 12th and i have taken commerce with maths and i m confused that which subject i should choose for graduation , when i am interested in IAS . And i am not interested in maths. Which field is better for IAS which will help me in future. So please help me and guide me in this matter .
You are a student of 12th standard of commerce so you can choose commerce subject in graduation degree because commerce is a optional paper of IAS exam.

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. IAS exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. IAS exam is conducted one time in a year.

If you have completed graduation in any discipline from a recognized university then you are eligible for IAS exam.

Age criteria:

For General: 21 to 30 years
For OBC: 21 to 33 years
For SC/ST: 21 to 35 years

No. of attempts:

For General: 3
For OBC: 7
For SC/ST: No Restriction

Selection process for IAS exam:

1)Preliminary test
2)Mains exam
3)Personal interview

For more details about IAS exam please visit to official website www.upsc.gov.in
6th June 2015, 06:17 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for the Indian Administrative Services and the examination is conducted by the UPSC every year for this. But there is no special examination for this as the selection of the candidates for this is through the Civil Services Examination.

The eligibility to appear in the examination is :-
* Candidates must have done the graduation from any recognised university. Even the candidates pursuing in the final year are also eligible for the examination.
* Candidates age must be between 21-32 years for the general category candidates and relaxation in age for the reserved category candidates.

Note :- There is no restriction on the discipline and the aggregate of the graduation. As candidate can select the optional paper other than discipline of graduation also from the list of subjects available on the official website www.upsc.gov.in.

The examination is conducted in three stages and it is mandatory to qualify in each of the stages for the final selection of candidates:-
* Preliminary.
* Mains.
* Interview.

The examination is among the toughest of all other competitive examination and so you have to work hard to get the success. Be careful while choosing the optional paper and graduation discipline as large number of candidates misses the examination due to the optional paper.

There is also limitation on the number of attempts to appear in the examination and as there are only 6 attempts for the General candidates and no limitations for the SC/ST candidates.

Start your preparation from now and starting going through the English newspaper and revision of NCERT text books from the Std VI-- Std XII.

For more information visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
6th June 2015, 06:22 PM
sunilpati
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service Exam which is conducted through UPSC every year for this the candidates have to appear Civil Service Exam .

The eligibility criteria :

The candidates should be a graduate in any discipline from a recognized university.The final year students can also apply for this exam.
The age limit is 21 - 30 years , There is a age relaxation for reserved candidates.
The candidates should be a Citizen of India.

The list of subjects which you can choose in Civil Service Exams are as follows..

Gujarati
Manipuri
Sanskrit
Assamese
Hindi
Nepali
Sindhi
Bengali
Kannada
Oriya
Tamil
Chinese
Kashmiri
Pali
Telugu
English
Konkani
Persian
Urdu
French
Marathi
Punjabi
German
Malayalam
Russian

For more details visit website upsc..
http://www.upsc.gov.in
6th June 2015, 09:27 PM
savneybillford

To join IAS you will have to write civil services exam conducted by the UPSC.
You will have to clear civil services prelims after which you will be eligible to write civil service mains, clearing which you will have to appear for an interview.

These are the criteria that you need to fulfill to write civil service exam.
•You must be a citizen of India.
•You must be a graduate.
•You must be above 21 years of age and below 32 years of age.
•The maximum number of times one can write this exam is six (6).
•You must secure 55%in your graduation.
Note: Certain relaxation is granted for SC/ST Candidates.

So as you see there is no mention of a particular steam you need to chose from. So you can do graduation in any steam, even one without mathematics.
There are certain coaching centres that provide coaching to clear these exams. Do you can attend them. It will help you clear the exam with flying colours.
7th June 2015, 06:41 PM
parnel
Junior Member+

1.The eligibility criteria for the IAS Officer post are as follows.

.Candidate must have completed his/her graduation course from the recognized university,
.Candidate must be the 'Citizen of India'.
.Candidate age must be between 21 to 30 years,

2.These are the criteria requirements for IAS Officer post.

3.By referring the first point you can know that graduation course is needed for sure.

4.But it was not mentioned that any particular graduation course to be done, So you have the freedom to choose the 'course' you like.

5.It may be related to your 12th standard subjects or any other subjects you like graduation is must but subjects are not fixed.

Hope this information is helpful to you.................
30th September 2015, 11:57 PM
vinoth1921

-->It is good to see that you have a great interest in aiming for IAS.
-->You can do courses related to History/ Geography/ Economics/ Law etc. which is all 3 years course and this also gives you ample time to prepare parallelly for Civil service exam during your graduation.
-->If you going to pursue engineering then also it is okay , you may also try for
-IES is the one of the exam conducted by UPSC every year for the post of Engineers for the superior posts.
-CDS is conducted twice in a year for the posts like Executive, Engineers etc to join defense.

-->UPSC conducts many exams like Civil Service(IAS/ IPS/ IFS etc.) for Civil service aspirants.

-->Eligibility
-Citizen of India
-Should be a Graduate
-Age Limit - 21-30 yrs
-Some post require Physical qualifications.

-->Examination Process
-Preliminary Exam
-Main Written Exam
-Interview
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?