4th January 2013, 04:45 PM
kandydsh

Difference between GATE and IES entrance exam?

can u tell me the difference between GATE and IES exams? what is use of both??
means gate is suitable for what? and ies is for what? which one is preferable when want for post graduation courses?

11th March 2013, 05:02 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Difference between GATE and IES entrance exam?

GATE exam is meant for those seeking admissions to M.Tech program. IES is conducted for selecting candidates to central government jobs. Engineering graduates can apply for the test in streams like Electrical/Electronics/civil and mechanical engineering. Therefore, it is obvious that, GATE is suitable for higher studies in India. IES is conducted by UPSC and GATE by IIT’s and IISc.
11th March 2013, 09:45 PM
bhawnarattan
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandydsh View Post
means gate is suitable for what? and ies is for what? which one is preferable when want for post graduation courses?
The difference is,,,

GATE is conducted by IIT and IES is conducted by UPSC for filling the posts i.e govt. posts...And from GATE you can opt for post graduation from IIT's and also you can get good job in good companies....

And for you if you want to have post graduation then you can opt for GATE exam.
12th March 2013, 01:14 AM
HIMANSHUAGARWAL123

Hi Friend,
You want to know as what is the difference between IES and GATE
IES: IES stands for "INDIAN ENGINEERING SERVICE" is a 'A' grade service whose exam is conducted by UPSC every year in month of May. THE examination has two stages:

1)Written Exam: This exam consists two papers of 1000 marks which is conducted for three days. Part I consists of objective type questions and part II is of conventional papers. Both parts cover the entire syllabus of the relevant engineering branch.

There are three Objective papers and two conventional papers in IES Examination. In Objective papers there is a 1/3rd Negative marking for wrong answers i.e. 33.33% of allotted marks will be cut .

2)Interview: After written exam UPSC called short list students for interview. Short list of candidates is made on the basis of merit list. Total marks of interview is 200. In this section examiner ask technical as well as non technical questions. He also asks the question on current affairs.

Gate: Gate stands for 'The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering' is a examination for securing higher education in field technology. It is conducted by IITs and IISC. In this exam there will be 65 objective questions carrying 100 marks. There will be negative markimg also.

After qualifying GATE you may also get a job in government agencies like BSNL (JTO), DRDO, BHEL, NTPC, ONGC APGENCO, APTRANSCO etc as well as in private companies.

May God bless you.
Best regards
Himanshu Agarwal
12th March 2013, 09:49 AM
sanj69
Senior Member+

GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering conducted by IIT and Indian Institute of Science for admission to M.Tech. Courses in IITs, NITs and other reputed Institutions.

Basically GATE is an Entrance exam for Higher Studies and can also be applied by only B.Tech. Degree holder but there is no upper age limit to apply for the same.

IES - Indian Engineering Service conducted every year by UPSC for appointment of young Engineers in the top Technical post under various Central Govt. Dept. of India.

Basically IES is an exam for job opportunity and can be aaplied by B.Tech. Engineering Degree holder within the age of 21 to 30 years.
12th March 2013, 10:37 AM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Dear Friend

IES stands for the Indian Engineering services examinations.It is organised every year by the UPSC for the candidates who have done their bachelor's degree in engineering /technology in any stream from a recognized university.

Candidates from other than core branches of engineering that is civil,electrical,mechanical,electronics and communications have to select their conventional papers from these branches only.

Final year candidates are also allowed to appear for the examinations.The age limit is 21-30 years with three years age relaxation to obc and five years to sc/st respectively.

You must be an Indian citizen.There are four attempts for general,seven for obc and no limit for sc/st respectively.

Now coming to GATE examinations ,it is the Graduate Aptitude test in engineering conducted by the Indian Institute of technology for the post graduation courses in technology.

Candidates who have done their bachelor's degree in engineering/technology and architecture or are in final year of it are eligible for this exams.Also Master's degree holder in maths,science,computer applications are eligible for this examinations.

Now friend ,your query is that what is the difference between the two which I have explained here:

>>First GATE is conducted by IIT and IES by UPSC.

>>Second if you are interested in doing you master's degree in technology or getting a job in different PSU then you need to give GATE examinations .

If you want to serve your country and also have a good respectable job ,you will have to give IES exams.

Syllabus for both are almost same but questions are a bit harder in IES exams.

Hope the information helps you.

all the best

aashisranjan
12th March 2013, 01:00 PM
yashwar sharma S.G.
Senior Member++

Post Re: Difference between GATE and IES entrance exam?

Quote:

Hi dear,

There is lot of difference between both of them, although both exams can be written by graduate of engineering.

Here is some of the difference between them:-

GATE EXAM:

>>This exam is the exam which is conducted by IITs, on behalf of MHRD,India and mainly this exam is for doing Mtech/ME to IITs and NITs and other good institutions for higher studies.

>>A good score is essential in order to get this kind of colleges, a score above 700 is needed if you want to get IITS, above 500 if you want NITs.

>>Final year students are eligible to write for this.

>>You will get a monthly stipend of Rs 8000/- per month if you are qualified for this and get admitted to these institutions.

>>Gate exam for this year is over, the result will be out on march 15th of this month.

>>You can apply for next year if you want to apply for higher studies.

IES exam:-

>>For this exam age limit is there, Minimum 21 years and maximum 30 years on 1st January, 2012.

>>It can be written by these departments:-

Civil Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering

>>Mainly this exam is for government post in various parts of India, not for doing higher studies.

>>It consists of

two sections:

Section I - objective types questions
Section II – conventional (essay) type questions papers.

Both Sections will cover the entire syllabus of the relevant engineering subject.

Also there will be an interview round of 200 marks.

>> IES 2013 Exam DATE: 28th June 2013

So the choice is yours, if you want to go for higher studies then go for GATE(GRADUATE APTITUDE TEST FOR ENGINEERING), otherwise for jobs, then IES(INDIAN ENGINEERING SERVICE) is better, all the best!!!
12th March 2013, 01:26 PM
anithamarychacko
Member+

Quote:
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. GATE is jointly conducted by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs.The GATE score is used for admission to postgraduate courses of Mtech.It is also used in recruitments of government jobs like IOCL,CONCOR,NTPL etc.This score is valid for 2 years.For Postgraduation GATE is preferable

IES - INDIAN ENGINEERING SERVICE conducted by UPSC once every year for recruitment of Engineers in the top technical post in the various Dept. under Central Government.Only B.Tech. Engineers are eligible to apply for IES.
27th March 2013, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

how to prepare for gate 2014 for mechanical engg based on syllabus.............. pls rly soon @ [email protected]
27th March 2013, 09:58 PM
nrajakumaar

how to prepare for 2014 for mechanical engg based on gate syllabus..... pls rly soon...

pls send ur details to : [email protected]
20th April 2013, 07:44 PM
eiidelhi
Junior Member+

Hi,

GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It's for take admission in M.Tech or job in PSU's company.

IES name has changed. It's ESE ( Engineering Services Examination ), for take govt. job in Railways, cpwd and ces etc.

You'll get more information from website of Engineers Institute of India www.engineersinstitute.com
6th May 2013, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

when can we give IES exam? in 3rd year or final year?
tushar jain(electrical engineering currently in 2nd year)
u can contact me at
[email protected]
9th August 2013, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

As per year when IES or ESE exam conducted and when GATE exam is conducted and is there any diff syllabus for IT students can anyone explain?
plz i want to know about it..........reply on [email protected]
11th October 2013, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

When UPSC take next exam of IES?
Please give a time table . And when we fill a form?
Reply as early as possible.
28th December 2013, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Sir, I am pursuing my third year in private institute. So, can i eligible to give the ESE exam?
3rd January 2014, 11:14 PM
nareshsunrise
Senior Member++

In one word, I can say like, GATE Exam will be conducted to give admission for candidates for higher studies like M.Tech course where as IES exam would be conducted for the candidates to offer job opportunity in various Engineering services like
-Civil Engineering
-Mechanical Engineering
-Electrical Engineering
-Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering

IES Exam will be conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) once in a year where as GATE Exam will be conducted by IITs.

But one similarity for both the exams is,
the minimum academic qualification that is required to appear for both the Exams is completion of Graduation in Engineering.

As far as GATE Exam is concerned, even the candidates who are pursuing final year of Engineering course are also eligible.

GATE score card is valid for 2 years where as IES Exam score will be considered only for that year.

As you are willing to join Post Graduation courses, it would be better for you to crack GATE Exam.

IITs are the top institutes to join M.Tech course.

Have good preparation for this exam and get admission for this course in IITs.

Wish you all the best.
28th July 2014, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

IS IT POSSIBLE TO PREPARE FOR IES AND GATE SIMULTANEOUSLY? IF,YES PLEASE GIVE SOME TIPS SO THAT I CAN PREPARE WELL FOR BOTH EXAMS. NOW I'M IN 2ND YR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
28th September 2014, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

I'M DOIN MY B.TECH MECHANICAL 1ST YEAR IN PONDICHERRY BUT I'M INTERESTED IN MATHEMATICS WHAT DO AFTER MY UG AND I'M INTERESTED IN MATHS SO PLEASE SAY ME SOME PG COURSES RELEVANT TO MATHS
28th December 2015, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

I completed my bech with instrumentation.i want to do m.tech with pgcet.bt i want write gate exam for government jobs.can i write gate exam after completion of my m.tech through pgcet
26th February 2019, 10:27 AM
Ealpguru

IES Exam, conducted by UPSC, is attempted by a lot more candidates than GATE. ... This ratio is almost 300:1 when we talk about IES Examination but it is 10:1 in GATE. Hence, for every 1 seat in IES Examination, 300 students will be competing.
26th February 2019, 03:16 PM
ealpexpertguru

GATE is conducted for admission to higher study programs where as IES exam is conducted for recruiting candidates to engineering services departments.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?