12th April 2018, 01:21 AM
Unregistered

Should I take Maths as an optional subject to study in 11th Commerce?

Hi everyone, Actually I am very much confused. I want to study Commerce in 11th standard but I am very much weak in Mathematics. So, I think that I should take Maths in an optional subject. So, is it correct? Should I take Maths as an optional subject?

Related Questions:
  1. Which is better to study as an Optional subject among Maths, Economics and IP in 11th Commerce?
  2. Is it possible to leave my 5th optional subject and continue with the 6th optional subject in class 11 after registration?
  3. How can I start preparing for CAT exam? I am in 11th commerce stream with Maths as an optional subject
  4. From which board should I study 11th Commerce among CBSE and HS Boards to appear in CPT? Optional subjects enlisted in 11th Commerce?
  5. Is there any optional subject for maths in 11th science stream to become a doctor in future?
  6. Subjects to study after Commerce with Maths in 12th for good job in Government or Private sector?
  7. What is the procedure to change optional subject in 12th standard?
  8. Suitable optional subjects in IAS exam for Commerce student?
  9. How to take Agriculture as an optional subject in 11th?
  10. Where can I find coaching classes for NATA entrance exam in Kerala?
  11. Any courses after passing 12th that allow to study Maths as an optional subject?
  12. Which optional subjects should I choose in 11th commerce? -- [Most Discussed]
  13. How can I pursue class 11th with Commerce stream if I am very weak in Maths?
  14. Which subject is a better choice in 11th class between Computer, Physical Education and Maths along with Commerce to do MBA course?
  15. List of books for self study of IAS exam preparation
  16. List of schools which offer admission in 11th Commerce with Maths in Pune?
  17. Is it possible to become a Journalist if study Commerce without Maths in 11th standard?
  18. Courses available in Commerce without Maths? How is it beneficial for students who have opted for commerce without Maths?
14th April 2018, 10:58 AM
sha2nk90

Default Re: Should I take Maths as an optional subject to study in 11th Commerce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, Actually I am very much confused. I want to study Commerce in 11th standard but I am very much weak in Mathematics. So, I think that I should take Maths in an optional subject. So, is it correct? Should I take Maths as an optional subject?
As you are studying Commerce subject which in future needs a lot of calculation related stuff, So skipping Mathematics would be a wrong idea. What you are thiking is correct. You should take Mathematics as your optional subjects as after 10+2, during your graduation you will have to study subjects which need you to be good in Mathematics. And if you study Mathematics from this level, It will be easier for you to understand those topics later on in your study.
Commerce itself is like an synonyms of Calculation and calculation you learn from Mathematics. So going with Mathematics will definitely help you if you are choosing commerce for your 10+2.
As far as your knowledge of subject is concerned, you says you are weak in Mathematics. When we started learning Alphabets , Numbers, during our childhood, was that easier ? No. So untill you do study, things will be difficult for you. But once you start studying something it becomes easier slowly.
It will take time but if you work hard you may get command over the mathematics.
14th April 2018, 11:28 AM
Badtameez Dil
Senior Member++

Default Re: Should I take Maths as an optional subject to study in 11th Commerce?

Candidates are allowed to select to six subjects in standard 11th for board examination.

Commerce stream along with mathematics is good for professional course. You can take these subjects and appear for board exam and secure good marks to get admission in good college or course.
14th April 2018, 11:40 AM
Bhaak Burbak
Senior Member++++

You can take six subject in standard 11th and appear for board exam along with all subjects. Many candidates who want to pursue courses like CA, ICWA, CS, etc take Commerce stream with mathematics.

You must secure minimum passing marks in sixth subject to have overall status of pass in 12th board exam.
14th April 2018, 01:48 PM
Angry Girl
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you can take admission in standard 11th in Central Board of Education with six subjects along with Mathematics in Commerce stream. Candidates are free to choose any sixth subject, some candidate opt for Computer Science and some select Mathematics depending upon their achieving goal.

When you register for standard 11th board, you need to mention your list of subjects in board exams. There is some additional fee for extra subject selection which you need to pay while applying for board exams.
14th April 2018, 06:52 PM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

If you think that you are very weak in mathematics subject then I would not suggest you to take it as an additional subject, then you should drop it and you should take any other subject as your additional subject.
Because if you fail in any additional subject then it would determine your percentage ,so it would not be a correct decision.
14th April 2018, 08:34 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

Mathematics is a subject which requires practice to get good marks. Even if you opt this subject as an optional in 11th standard, you will have to secure minimum of passing marks to pass 12th standard.

It is necessary for commerce stream candidates. If you will solve more questions on each and every topic, you weakness will go automatically. You should opt mathematics subject in commerce stream.
14th April 2018, 09:31 PM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Commerce stream contains subjects like Accountancy, Business Studies, Entrepreneurship, English, Economics.

There is no Mathematics subject in Commerce stream.

So, in case, if you are not comfortable in Mathematics then there is no need to take Mathematics in 11th.

You can study 11th and 12th through Commerce stream without Mathematics also. It is not mandatory to opt Mathematics.

Even if you are taking it as an optional subject, then it may affect your overall aggregate percentage. As the percentage is calculated after including all subjects.

But in ICSE Board, there is a provision of Best five. So, take your decision wisely.
14th April 2018, 10:07 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

According to me you should take it as an additional subject because nowadays mathematics is very important subject and where ever you want to seek government job then you have to qualify the examination which consists of Mathematical problems.
But if you think that you are really weak in Mathematics subject and you cannot cope up with the syllabus then definitely you should drop the idea of having it as your additional subject.
15th April 2018, 12:57 AM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

If you are weak in mathematics by regular practice you will become eligible to score better aggregate in mathematics.

Mathematics in 12th is one of the mandatory paper for admission in most of the courses such as B.Com, Economics etc.

But, if you think you will be not eligible to cop up with it then you can take it as optional paper as there are other course too where mathematics is not necessary.
15th April 2018, 12:29 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

If you want to pursue Bachelors degree in Economics Honors then mathematics is essential subject in 12th. You are weak in mathematics as you have stated, you will have put all your efforts to pass mathematics and devote more time neglecting other subject.

The wise decision is to leave this subject and opt any other subject in which you are comfortable and score good marks.
15th April 2018, 01:38 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

Since you yourself have mentioned that you are weak in Mathematics hence there is no point to opt Mathematics for your higher secondary school education as it would create an additional pressure on you mentally which could be reflected on your performance in other papers too.

Also, there are many subjects options other than Mathematics which you can opt as per your interest. Further, without Mathematics commerce field still has good career scope and hence you must not take the risk to opt for Mathematics if you are not confident about the same.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?