21st April 2018, 03:21 PM
Unregistered

MPhil is mandatory to study PhD for Mathematics postgraduate?

Hello Friends, I did my MSc in Mathematics from Calcutta University. I am fond of doing PhD in Mathematics. But many of my friends are telling me that MPhil is must to do before PhD. So, is it true?

Related Questions:
  1. Should I have to appear in any entrance exam to study PhD in Mathematics at Delhi University?
  2. Should I have to appear in any entrance exam to study Ph.D in Mathematics at Dibrugarh University?
  3. Detailed information and procedure to get admission in Delhi University for PhD in Mathematics?
  4. Eligibility to study PhD in Galgotias University for MPhil(Mathematics) candidate?
  5. Eligibility to pursue PhD in Mathematics for Applied Mathematics postgraduate? -- [New]
  6. What should I do to study PhD in Mathematics being a postgraduate?
  7. Procedure to get admission to study PhD in Physics at Mumbai University for a candidate who has completed M.Phil and B.Ed from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam?
  8. How to study PhD in Mathematics in Odisha being an M.Sc postgraduate?
  9. Is M.Phil mandatory before PhD? -- [Most Discussed]
  10. Procedure to study PhD in Politics & International Studies in University of Cambridge with scholarship for M.Phil postgraduate?
  11. Does Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya offer PhD in Mathematics for a postgraduate?
  12. M.Phil is mandatory to study PhD for Telugu postgraduate?
  13. Ph.D course after MSW?
  14. Mathematics or Applied Mathematics which is better to pursue in PhD?
  15. Details of M.Phil/Ph.D in mathematics in AP universities? Any universities in AP where I can get without answering any entrance test? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. How can I get admission to study PhD in Mathematics in GNDU being a postgraduate?
  17. How can I apply to study PhD in Mathematics at University of Cambridge being a M.Tech(Industrial Mathematics) postgraduate?
  18. List of institutes which offer PhD in Mathematics to a postgraduate in Montreal?
27th May 2018, 09:15 AM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: MPhil is mandatory to study PhD for Mathematics postgraduate?

Eligibility Criteria Required to pursue PhD in Mathematics course:

Basically whether M.Phil is required or not depends upon that concerned college's eligibility criteria. As far as my best knowledge is concerned, here is the basic eligibility criteria that most of the colleges consider.

>> Candidates must have completed their Master's Degree in Mathematics or Statistics or Computer Science or Engineering Sciences or Physical Science or its equivalent with minimum 60% marks from a recognized university.

>> And candidates must have qualified in any of the below mentioned entrance exams in order to be eligible.
* GATE Examination or
* DST INSPIRE Fellowship or
* CSIR/ UGC NET qualified or NBHM or its equivalent qualification ..etc.,

>> As you are done with M.Sc in Mathematics course, I can strongly say that you are certainly eligible to pursue PhD in Mathematics course. But, you are required to appear in any of the above mentioned examinations or concerned college's PhD Entrance Examination.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?