The West Bengal Joint entrance examination is conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations for the admission of candidates, who aspire to become engineers and doctors, for their admission in engineering degree colleges and medical colleges respectively. It started in 1962 with an objective to conduct a common entrance exam for the candidates to get admitted into the colleges in the state of West Bengal. So obviously the exam will be very competitive as the aspirants only have to attend one examination to get into any engineering colleges in the state. This apparently reduces the overall expense of a candidate to get an admission in an engineering college as they don’t have to go through a lot of tests.
Structure of WBJEE
The WBJEE exam is similar to that of other entrance examinations but with an exception that only 80% of the questions are objective type questions and the remaining 20% will be short answer type questions. The instructions in the question paper will be in Bengali format. There will be 3 tests conducted all in 1 day as per the WBJEE paper planning. The papers the candidates have to attend are
Paper 1: Mathematics
Paper 2: Physics & Chemistry
Paper 3: Biology
Students aspiring to be engineers need only attend Paper 1 & 2.Students aspiring to be doctors need to attend Paper 1 & 3.They have to pass both the papers in order to get admission in the respective colleges to pursue careers as engineers and doctors.
The examination will be of 100 marks in total. If the answer for a question is wrong, as per the WBJEE evaluation scheme, 33.33% of the marks for that question will be deducted. This also applies for the short answer type questions as well.
In general, to qualify for the admission in engineering or medical degree colleges, the candidates must have an aggregate of 50% marks for their respective papers taken together. That is, engineering aspirants are to qualify with a 50 % marks for Physics % Chemistry (Single paper) and Mathematics as a whole. And the medical aspirants are to score 50 % for the Mathematics and Biology papers as a whole. SC/ST candidates require only 40% marks for the same to qualify.
Syllabus for WBJEE
- Work, Energy and Power
- Thermal and Chemical Effects of Currents
- Solids and Semiconductor Devices
- Rotational Motion
- Ray Optics and Optical Instruments Electrons and Photons
- Magnetic Effect of Currents
- Laws of Motion
- Introduction and Measurement
- Heat and Thermodynamics
- Electromagnetic Waves (Qualitative Treatment)
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Description of Motion in Two and Three Dimensions
- Description of Motion in One Dimension
- Current Electricity
- Atoms, Molecules and Nuclei
- The d-and f-Block elements
- Surface chemistry
- States of matter
- Some basic principles of Organic Chemistry
- Some basic concepts in Chemistry
- Solid state Chemistry
- Redox reactions
- P-Block Elements
- Purification and characterization of carbon compounds
- Organic compounds with functional groups containing oxygen
- Organic compounds with functional groups containing halogens
- Nitro compounds
- Environmental Chemistry
- Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Classification of elements and periodicity in properties
- Chemical kinetics
- Chemical Energetics
- Chemical bonding
- Chemical thermodynamics
- Atomic structure
- Structure and Function – Plants
- Structure and Function – Animals
- Reproduction, Growth and Movement in Plants
- Reproduction and Development in Humans
- Photosynthesis Respiration
- Growth and Movement
- Genetics and Evolution
- Environmental Issues
- Ecology and Environment
- Ecological adaptations
- Diversity in Living World
- Cell the Unit of Life, Structure and Functions
- Biotechnology and its Applications
- Biology and Human Welfare
- Analytical Geometry
- Complex Numbers & Trigonometry
- Differential Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Discrete Mathematics
- Integral Calculus And Its Applications Methods Of Integration Standard Types
- Matrices and Determinants
- Probability Distributions
- Theory Of Equations, Sequence And Series
- Vector Algebra
To attend the WBJEE, the applicant must be an Indian Citizen and must have passed the higher secondary or equivalent classes with a 50% mark for their respective subjects that are Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics for engineering applicants and Mathematics & Biology for medical applicants and the aggregate of 50% is taken together for the papers. SC/ST applicants require only 40% for the same. The applicants must also pass English with at least 30 % marks and that is for applicants of all categories. In addition to this, the applicants must have pass percentage in each subjects mentioned above as well and in the native language paper as well.
The age restriction is 17 years as on the end of the year of examination.There is no upper age limit except for the Marine Engineering course which has an age limit of 25 years as on the end of the year 2011.
Besides all these, the candidates should have been residing continuously in the state of West Bengal for at least 10 years to apply for the WBJEE or their parents must be permanent residents of West Bengal and should have a permanent residential address in the state. SC/ST candidates will have reservations as per the rules of the State government.
How to Apply?
The application forms will be available for sale by mid November till the end of the year at specified branches United Bank of India in West Bengal. The candidates can buy the forms on all working days and between the working hours of the bank by paying the fee for it. It can also be obtained by post from the Board’s office but that requires another application requesting for the post and at an additional fee of Rs 200/- including the required fee for the application form. If the candidates require postal service, a demand draft of the above mentioned total fee in favor of the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board payable at Howrah/Calcutta should be sent to the concerned authorities.15th of December is the last date for requesting the application kit by post.
If by any chance, the candidate couldn’t buy the application kit before or on the last date, he/she can still get it from the Board’s office by paying the actual fee of the kit and a late fee of Rs 300/-.The candidates cannot return or replace an application kit after buying it.
After obtaining the kit, the filled up application form should be sent enclosed in the printed window envelope the candidate receives in the kit. It’s mandatory that the forms should be sent by speed post only so that it can reach the Board within the last date of the 12th of January. Personal submissions and courier submissions are not accepted and will not be entertained. The application kit including printed window envelope instructions book and the form is priced at Rs 500/- for E/M type forms and Rs 600/- for C type forms and is to be paid in cash itself.
How to fill the Form?
To help provide guidelines and instructions for the candidates on filling the form, an instruction brochure will be there in the kit. The candidates are to go through it and do what’s necessary as instructed in the brochure. The candidates should stay alert and should read each field before filling them. Invalid entries are not to be crossed out and the use of Whiteners is suggested. The Board recommends candidates to use ball point pens in black ink. But above all, the entries should be valid and precise.
Important Dates (Tentative)
Sale of Application Kit (from listed UBI Branches) : Last Week of November till Last Week of December, 2011
Last date for
Receipt of request for Application Kit “by post”: Mid of December, 2011
Receipt of duly filled in applications “by Speed post” only: Second Week of January, 2012
List of WBJEE centers
- West Bengal
Contact Address for the WBJEE
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board, AQ 13/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake City, Kolkata - 700091
- Phone: 033 - 23671198 / 23671199
- Fax: 033 - 23671149
- Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Web URL:http://www.wbjeeb.in
Colleges Accepting the WBJEE score
- Bengal Engineering And Science University
- Jadavpur University
- Kalyani University Science Instrumentation Centre
- University Institute Of Technology
- West Bengal University Of Technology
- Govt. College Of Engineering & Ceramic Technology
- Govt. College Of Engineering & Textile Technology
- Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College
- Kalyani Government Engineering College
And many more autonomous, self financing and central government institutions affiliated to the University have seats and considers the WBJEE results.
Reference Books for WBJEE
The books given below can be used for reference.
- Trueman’s Biology
- SC Verma (Part-1 and 2)
- Rudiments of Biology- MCQ type
- Pradeep’s Biology
- NCERT- Biology Part 1 and Part 2
- MTG (Biology Today) CBSE PMT (Subscription)
- Higher Secondary books- Part 1 and Part 2(WBHSC)
- Dinesh Biology
- AC Dutta for Botany (Oxford Publication),
- Arihant Organic Chemistry
- Dinesh Chemistry
- Higher Secondary books- Part 1 and Part 2(WBHSC)
- Morrision Boyd for Organic Chemistry
- NCERT- Chemistry Part 1 and Part 2
- Peter Atkins and Julio de Paula for Physical Chemistry
- Rudiments of Chemistry- MCQC Type
- Rudiments of Physics- MCQ type
- Physics: CBSE PMT set of 3 Volumes by Anil Aggarwal
- NCERT- Physics Part 1 and Part 2
- Higher Secondary books- Part 1 and Part 2(WBHSC)
- HC Verma for Physics,
- Concept of Competition Physics for CBSE PMT by Aggarwals
- Algebra Made Easy by K.P.Basu
- Co-ordinate Geometry by S.L.Loni
- Elementary Maths by Dorofeev,Patapov
- Higher Algebra by Hall & Night
- Introduction to Probability and its Applications by W.Feller
- Maths by Krechmar
- Plane Trigonometry Part 1 by S.L.Loni
Coaching Centers for WBJEE
- Dr. Bhatia Medical Coaching Institute
- Gate Forum Educational Services Pvt.Ltd.
- Interactive Education Private Limited
- Kota Magic
- Maria’s Institute of Engineering and Computer Education
- Nissan Educational Services Private Limited
- Pankaj Coaching Centre
- Prime Tour
Pre-planning for an entrance examination is one of the best ways to get the best results. Patiently planning an exam requires good analytical skills as well. Dividing the exam schedules as sessions and allotting a time deadline to complete each session is one of the best ways in planning ahead for what is to come. Besides planning, the applicants have to put in a lot of hard work and effort for what they have planned. All the papers are conducted in a single day. So it can be stressful.
So the best option is to keep the minds calm and cool and take on the subjects one by one and cover all topics without strain so that there would be time for other subjects as well. Make use of the syllabus wisely and spend your time accordingly. The most important thing is to take enough rest to clear your mind of all tensions. Put in enough hard work and focus with a strong will and the candidate can savor the taste of great success.
How and Where To Get the Results?
The results will be uploaded by the Board in their official website http://www.wbjeeb.in. Browse the following site to view you results
The score the candidates obtained in the WBJEE is valid for a year.
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam Eligibility Criteria
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations (WBJEE) Papers
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam- Physics & Chemistry Papers
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam- Mathematics Papers
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam- Biology Papers
- MCA Colleges in West Bengal
- BBA Colleges in West Bengal
- North Bengal Medical College, West Bengal
- List of universities in West Bengal
- How to fill WBJEE Forms?
- Details of JECA Exam
- Government Colleges in Kalyani, West Bengal
- Institutes offering Diploma in Electrical Engineering Course in West Bengal
- Application Procedure for WBUT– CET/JEMAT/PGET 2013
- MBBS Colleges in West Bengal