8th January 2011, 11:06 PM
Unregistered

Which books to refer for preparation for IAS prelims and Mains exam?

sir,
I am a student of b.tech. third year and i am willing to prepare for IAS examination,so can you please help me out by telling me about the study material(books and other sources) for IAS pre and mains individually.

9th January 2011, 12:17 AM
saswata06

Default Re: Which books to refer for preparation for IAS prelims and Mains exam?

For prelims read some books based upon aptitude and reasoning like R.S.Agarwal.
For mains read the text books of your optional subjects thoroughly.Also read daily newspaper and magazines.
9th January 2011, 08:55 AM
bikenindia

Default Re: Which books to refer for preparation for IAS prelims and Mains exam?

Hello friend,

Its very good aim in life to become IAS.
To become IAS, you need to crack an exam called Civil service exam conducted by UPSC.
There are various study material based on the subjects you choose.
Civil service consist of
prelims
Mains
Interview.

If you clear the prelims only, you will be eligible for mains and interview.

For prelims, The best study material for GS would be
The Hindu Newspaper
Civil service chronicles
Competitive Success Review( CSR Magazine)

For main subject, that you have to mention your core paper and you can take up coaching in some good coaching which will help you and provide the best study material.

Prepare well.

All the best.
Thank you.
9th January 2011, 11:17 AM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

hi....
as for ad prelims are concerned,there are many books available in the market for the preparation of prelims exam
some of them are pearson addition book for csat
you cam also the books of upkar publishers
all the best
9th January 2011, 01:17 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

I m providing you a link of a very good website for IAS preparation ...here u will get all required information .
http://www.onestopias.com/ias-preparation.asp
9th January 2011, 04:23 PM
Ajay kumar verma

you read the books of your related subjects 5th to 10th class books of that subjects. Read Pratiyogita Kiran or Pratiyogita Darpan magazine regularly.
9th January 2011, 10:04 PM
sonu1234

About Preliminary Exam preparation,
- one paper is optional i.e. your choice
- One paper is compulsory i.e. General Studies.

- Now i will tell you how to prepare for General Studies(GS) paper.
- if one wants to have command over GS, then he has to prepare 8 major area i.e.
History
Geography
Polity
Science
Economy
Mental Abiltiy
Current Affairs
General Knowledge.

- For all the above topics, best way to start is from Basics i.e. NCERT Books of Class 6th to Class 12th.
- For History - NCERT + Spectrums Modern India
- Geography - NCERT + GoCheng leong + a good atlas like orient longman/oxford.
- Polity - NCERT + any good guide book like laxmikanth's indian polity/ Jojo mathews's Indian constitution and polity.
- Science - i think Ncert class 6th to class 12th is more than enough.
- Economy - NCERT class 11th and 12th + pratiyogita darpan's special issue on indian economy + Read and make notes of newspaper about current economy.
- Mental Ability - R.s.Agarwal.
- Current Affairs - one has to be thorough with newspaper readings of atleast one year back from the date of exam.
- General Knowledge - India year book + Manorama year book or Chronicle year book.

- if one is thorough with the above topics from the above materials, then he/she will definitely crack this exam easily.
10th January 2011, 04:38 PM
subho19
Senior Member+++

dear friend
as for ad prelims are concerned,there are many books available in the market for the preparation of prelims exam
some of them are pearson addition book for csat
you cam also the books of upkar publishers.thank you
11th January 2011, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

WHICH BOOKS TO BE PREFER FOR IAS MAINS EXAM
SUB MECHANICAL ENG.
MATHS
12th January 2011, 05:22 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

The books to be referred for IAS prelims are-

1.Our Constitution - Subhash Kashyap
2.India's struggle for independence- Bipan Chandra
3.Geography of India - D.R.Khullar
4.Certificate Physical and Human Geography - Goh Cheng Leong
5.Indian Economy- Dutt and Sundaram
6.Human Geography - Majid Hussain
7.Yojana
8.Oxford Atlas India
9.India Year Book
10.Economic Survey of India
11.The Hindu
12.The Times of India
13.Kurukshetra
14.World Focus
15.Frontline

Best of luck.......
12th January 2011, 06:43 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
WHICH BOOKS TO BE PREFER FOR IAS MAINS EXAM
SUB MECHANICAL ENG.
MATHS
Hi,

You can prefer physics and maths NCERT books or that you have studied in 12th for Mains and that is more than enough.
Practice previous year papers to get the idea of the exam pattern.
12th January 2011, 06:45 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Quote:
sir,
I am a student of b.tech. third year and i am willing to prepare for IAS examination,so can you please help me out by telling me about the study material(books and other sources) for IAS pre and mains individually.
Hi,

Prelims : RS Aggarwal for aptitude, reasoning and pratiyogita darpan magazine for GK

Mains: Read NCERT books and practice previous year papers of Mains.
3rd February 2011, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Second optional subject for IAS pre & main exam?First subject is Microbiology
22nd February 2011, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

what optional subject should i choose for mains along with maths. I am a comp. sc. engg. student,final year.
25th February 2011, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

where we can get ncert books for ias prelims?
2nd March 2011, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

i am a student of b.tech first year with electical branch,i m willing to prepare for IAS exams,would you please give me an account on how to start the preparation from now only and what subjects should i select for mains????
11th April 2011, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

how to prepare a notes from pratiyogita darpan and from other books, means question wise or point wise
12th April 2011, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

i m student of BE 2 year ...n i have to prepare for ias ..can u please tell me which books should i refer
12th April 2011, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

i m student of BE 2 year ...n i have to prepare for ias ..can u please tell me which books should i refer
14th April 2011, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

helo..m in F.Y.B.A.what preparation shuld i do for ias entrance????????
15th April 2011, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

I am B.Tech(Information Technology) graduate. Could any one tell me what optional paper can be selected for my prelims...
I dont see any optional paper that is related to computer science..
23rd April 2011, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

DEAR SIR, I AM A STUDENT OF MA 2nd YEAR SOCIOLOGY FROM JNU. CAN U PLZ GUIDE ME WID THE PATTERN OF PRELIMS AND THE REQUIRED BOOKS FOR IAS PRELIMS.
27th April 2011, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

i want to know about books for prelim exams as per new pattern if there is any change in the pattern.
28th April 2011, 04:50 PM
kanchanyadav
Senior Member+

Hi,

Here i am providing the name of website from where IAS aspirants can get the name of books for IAS exam preparation subject wise.

http://www.onestopias.com/books/

All the Best...
5th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

hiiiiiiiiiiii sir i want to know all Polititions party name & all politition name with their rank
and reply my id "[email protected]"
17th May 2011, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

how i can get a proper guidance for the civil services?
sir,
i am a student of BA II and preparing myself only without coaching.So that i can't get proper guidance on various topics.As a result i get confused.
shalu
2nd June 2011, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

what is helping book for hindi qualify mains
2nd June 2011, 04:25 PM
Bhojraj2151

For ias exam preparation books you may follow this keyword books:Books for IAS,Ancient India (NCERT),The Wonder That was India,Ancient India - An Introductory Outline,Indian Feudalism,Thestory of Civilization, Vol. 2 (NCERT),A History of South India,The Raj Syndrome (Penguins), IAS books, ias us gaap, ias india, bet books, sports books, gambling books, indian books, police books, ias exam, ias exams, chemistry books, ias service, physics books, cat books,etc.
10th June 2011, 10:33 AM
Unregistered

can you suggest standard books name for Psychology and public administration for hindi medium .
reply plzz on [email protected]
10th June 2011, 10:47 AM
bhupivrmas

can you suggest standard books name for hindi medium , public administration and psychology
12th June 2011, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

hi sir
can u tell me with which subject i can ias i am studying in bca
13th June 2011, 11:53 AM
Unregistered

plz send me the best books names and authors recommended by toppers for ias prelims and main exams,interview preparation.and also tell me the link from where i can download papers,notes and books.And required cut off for ias prelims and mains for sc students at my id [email protected]
16th June 2011, 12:23 AM
ajay kumar madanam

hai sir iam ajaykumar.recently i have completed my b.pharmcacy. i want to prepare for civils .which optionals are suitable to my profession..how can i get command in geography and pub.administration?
18th June 2011, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

i am student of b.tech third year with E.C. branch,then which books to refer for preparation for I.A.S. prelims and mains exams?
23rd June 2011, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

i am student of b.tech fourth year with E.C. branch,then which books to refer for preparation for I.A.S. prelims and mains exams
28th June 2011, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

i m completed my b.tech (ece). pl tell me which books to refer for i.a.s. and from where i got syllabus. , sub and form , exam date. pl help me
my i.d. is [email protected]
thanx
30th June 2011, 06:29 AM
Unregistered

Sir i have taken a deegre &prepare for cse
my optionals are public administration & soociology can u syggest me the basic books i must to read
my email [email protected]
7th July 2011, 07:23 PM
Unregistered

what books should i take for mains (pol sc) ?
18th July 2011, 01:16 AM
Unregistered

hello friends

can any one tell me books for mains preparation my optional are:-
optional 1- Commerce
optional 2- Economics
4th August 2011, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

sir i am a graduate student which books to refer to prelims
5th August 2011, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

sir i am in b.tech 3rd year having comp sc as my branch i want to prepare for i.a.s would u tell me some standards books for p.t and mains of geography and public administration.....................
7th August 2011, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

sir
i am in b.tech 2nd year having computer science as my branch. i am willing for IAS preprations , will you please tell me books for pre and mains of hindi, physics
13th August 2011, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

sir,i m a student of b.sc. forestry. but i will opt b.sc agriculture for exams. plz guide me which book should i refer for ias prelims and mains?
20th August 2011, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

more books and sample papers for IAS
29th August 2011, 07:52 PM
vipin bihari chaturvedi

hi dearFor ias exam preparation books you may follow this keyword books:

Reference Books

For Reasoning

A Modern Approach to Verbal Reasoning by RS Agarwal
Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey(BSC Publications)

For Quantitative Ability

Mathematics text books from 6Th to 8Th Standard.(Especially for arts Students)

Quantitative Aptitude by R.S.Agarwal

Quicker Maths by M.K.Tyra(B.S.C Publications)

Data Interpretation By K.Kundan(BSC Publications)

For Reading Comprehension

you must read several English papers and Novels.

MAINS

For MAINS you only based on your Optional Subjects.

Next is Interview.

Civils is an ocean of materials But Above materials are very useful for your Preparation.

All the Best for you..
2nd September 2011, 02:31 AM
Unregistered

which book follow for ips
2nd September 2011, 11:25 AM
rana2011
Banned

The books to be referred for IAS prelims are-

1.Our Constitution - Subhash Kashyap
2.India's struggle for independence- Bipan Chandra
3.Geography of India - D.R.Khullar
4.Certificate Physical and Human Geography - Goh Cheng Leong
5.Indian Economy- Dutt and Sundaram
6.Human Geography - Majid Hussain
7.Yojana
8.Oxford Atlas India
9.India Year Book
10.Economic Survey of India
11.The Hindu
12.The Times of India
13.Kurukshetra
14.World Focus
15.Frontline

Thanks!!
17th September 2011, 11:36 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
sir,
dear friend,

Books for IAS exam are as follows:

Tata McGraw Hill’s (TMH) GS Manual for prelims.
Manorama Year Book
An Introduction to the Constitution of India by DD Basu,
Our Constitution by Subhash Kashyap,
India’s Constitution by MV Pylee
India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra
Social Problem - Ram Ahuja
Journal of peace Studies
World Focus
Sharma & Cotinho : Economic and Commercial Geography of India.
Khullar : India- A Comprehnsive Geography.

thanks
26th September 2011, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Hello Sir
Can you please tell me with geog which subject should i opt.
And how exactly should i start with the preparation keeping mains in mind.
1st October 2011, 05:59 PM
Unregistered

hi........ i am PRAVEEN completed puc2nd yr .... i want to do IAS so please4 insist me with the books i need for both prelims and mains.......
kindly reply friends
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?