17th August 2010, 12:36 AM
swach007

Can sc/st candidate opt for general seat in GATE examination?

hi guys, please clarify whether sc/st candidate if clear cutoff of both sc/st and general category, whether he will be able to opt for general seat???? or will he be restricted to his category only????

Related Questions:
  1. How much training period is required for Indian Engineering Service preparation?
  2. What are the possibilities of doing M.Tech in Environmental Science?
  3. Percentage required for M.Arch from IIT?
  4. Am I eligible for GATE counseling after scoring 16704 rank in GATE exam? Can I get M.Tech seat in GATE counseling? When will the GATE counseling start?
  5. Best institutes after score of 508 in GATE and belonging to general category?
  6. Am I applicable in school service commission after B.Tech electronics and communication engineering?
  7. In which NIT college I will get admission if secured 7499 rank in GATE being a general candidate?
  8. Steps to study PhD in Architecture for B.Arch student?
  9. Previous 10 year Question Papers of NTPC for Electrical Engineering stream?
  10. Details about Non GATE admission in any NIT? I am a non GATE candidate
  11. Can I get admission in IIT if secured 99.55 percentile in GATE-Electrical being a general candidate?
  12. How much rank should I get in GATE in order to get a seat in IIT's and IISc's? I am a BC candidate
  13. Which course I can take after B.Com graduation which will provide good job and salary?
  14. Minimum percentage required in M.Tech for IIT in Aeronautics Engineering?
  15. Who all can apply for IAS? What is the percentage required? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. What will be the minimum score in GATE Exam for getting admission in IISC being a candidate of General category?
  17. Will I get a seat in any branch of TU from reservation seat for NE candidate? I have got 85 in AIEEE and belong to general category
  18. Which subject should I choose in UPSC exam to become an IAS officer? -- [New]
17th August 2010, 06:07 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: Can sc/st candidate opt for ggeneral seat in GATE examination?

I am not sure about the cut off, but they can opt for general category.
17th August 2010, 11:26 AM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

hi......yes sc/st student opt for general seats.....if u r sc/st then u will get
benefits ofv reserve seats......
17th August 2010, 11:53 AM
jiyaa

dear friend,
if you clear the cutoff marks of general candidate,then you will treated as a general student,but at tha same time with the rank of your quota you will definetly get a good college...
best of luck
17th August 2010, 12:21 PM

In general rule of GATE exam it madetory to mention your categaory if you have mention SC cataogry you have to show eligible document for that, Although it cannot be possible to change your catagory later on for admission.....
17th August 2010, 10:13 PM
richa420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swach007 View Post
hi guys, please clarify whether sc/st candidate if clear cutoff of both sc/st and general category, whether he will be able to opt for general seat???? or will he be restricted to his category only????
Frnd
if u qualify for general seat u will get general seat.
thank u.
17th August 2010, 11:07 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Yes you can apply for both the categories. If you are an SC or ST and if you get a good rank in SC ST and even in general then you can decide whther you want to take admission on the basis of your quota or your general category
17th August 2010, 11:19 PM
Rickers

Hello friend,

Yes you can apply for both the categories such as SC/ST and general. But you will get advantages having in SC/ST categories.
You get good colleges having less marks so why don't you go for this.
Good luck!!!!!
17th August 2010, 11:26 PM
hsakapandit
Banned

Location: Vill. and Post Office Katrain, Near Shiv Temple, Distt. and Teh. Kullu (Himachal Pradesh) India
Default Re: Can sc/st candidate opt for general seat in GATE examination?

Yes! You can apply for General seats also but if you are from sc/st so it will be better than general category.
18th August 2010, 01:44 AM
shubham957

Smile Re: Can sc/st candidate opt for general seat in GATE examination?

Quote:
yes sc/st students can apply for general category seat but only if he had cleared the cut off of general category. but why you want to do that. sc/st are having very good advantages like low cut off, low fees etc.
18th August 2010, 04:37 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

You can opt for general seat in GATE exam. If you mention SC/ST you have to show the document for that.SC/ST have 5% relaxation for marks and you can get good colleges even if you score little less.
2nd January 2011, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Hi friends, i belong to SC category. How much should i score to get into IIT's? Atleast min score??
19th January 2011, 03:56 PM
mychandru024

yes,provided you have the required rank.... but you will get no more benefits that an sc/st student will get.
20th June 2011, 08:42 AM
Unregistered

Sir i hv got 50% marks at 12th level and 60% marks(bsc&msc) can a apply for gate xam?if i score gud percentile in gate xam.can i get a chance in iit 4 mtech in chemical eng..
2nd September 2011, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

sir,what is the cut off for sc st and obc students
8th September 2011, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

I gave my AIEEE as SC category, now I want to give GATE from general category (ethical issues!!!), Can I do it?
17th September 2011, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

what is the cut off for gate for sc in iit bombay
6th October 2011, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

can a obc candidate having good rank in general category in iit btech entrance fill his choice in general if he is unable to submit obc non-creamy layer certificate.please Let me know sir?

yours truly
buina
6th October 2011, 04:23 PM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Can sc/st candidate opt for general seat in GATE examination?

Quote:

Your category will remain the same as you have written while applying for the GATE exam

like while filling up the form..you have mentioned your category to be SC/ST and provided the complete documents then you will be considered an SC/ST candidate and if initially you have filled the form from the general category then you will remain in the general category..

You can't change your category after the results are declared or even after the exam is over..it has to be done before that only while filling up the form..

all the best..

With Warm Regards
"Nitz"
6th October 2011, 06:15 PM
shrijan00

hy,
Yes you can apply for both the categories. If you are an SC or ST and if you get a good rank in SC/ST , then u will get
benefits of reserve seats......

Gate Eligibility Criteria 2012

Following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE:

Bachelor's degree holders in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/Pharmacy (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by IE(I), AME by ICE(I)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
15th March 2012, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

hi i got 42.33 mark score 424 and all india rank:2132 ....shall i get iit dehli structure belongs to Sc pls reply me:[email protected]
18th March 2012, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

hi i have 424 score with AIR 2132 in civil category...i belong to obc...where can i get admission?
18th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Hy my gate score 216 in sc and my marks is 24.67 .can take the admession in good college
24th June 2012, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

what is the percentage b.tech requried for sc/st studient to apply for gate
20th June 2013, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

i'm a final year student ,belongs to sc category ... how much marks should i get to go through the IIT colleges..please reply to my mail ID: [email protected]
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?