5th August 2011, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

i am amir and doing my b.tech i dont have any knowledge of IAS exam but iam very interested in doing of IAS exam please help me from A to Z .how much optional subjects have to be chosen for preliminary exam and you plz give me some idea of chosing the correct subjects.and you please tell me about the eligibility of writing preliminary exam plz give me a reply for this question as sooon as possible. plz help me.

Related Questions:
5th August 2011, 01:19 PM
ROHIT1THAKUR

Thumbs up Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

Detailed Information About IAS Examination -

Firstly I have to Inform You that The IAS Examination was Conducted by UPSC and If your aim is to become IAS Officer then for this you have to apply for the UPSC Civil services examination.

This examination was held every year in the month of June and the notification was Published in the Employment Newspaper OR in the UPSC website in the month of February.

Eligiblity Criteria for IAS Examination -

- You Must Be a graduate in any discipline From a recognised university
- your age should between 21 to 30 years.
- Final year Graduate Candidates are also eligible to apply for This examination.

So, If you have completed your Graduation degree course in any discipline Then you are eligible to apply for UPSC Civil services examination to become IAS Officer. Eligible candidates may fill the application Form Online By visit the UPSC website.

The examination was conducted into Two Stages, First Preliminary examination which are Objective type with 200 Marks each and there are 2 Papers in Preliminary examination. And After clear the Preliminary examination you are eligible to sit in Main examination.

But for Main examination you need to select the Optional Subjects On the given list in the UPSC website and you have to choose the subjects on the basis of Graduation.

So, After Completing M.tech You are eligible for IAS Examination, The application form also availiable in the Post Offices in India, You have also obtained form there after the declaration of Notification. But I will suggest you please apply for this examination online After declaration of Notification. So, If you are Interested to apply for IAS Examination then please apply for this examination Next Year, So please wait for the Next year Notification.

So, Here I am Providing you the Pattern of Preliminary examination, So please study According to the syllabus, So that you will be able to crack the Preliminary examination.

Paper I - (200 marks) Duration - Two hours

- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.

Paper II- (200 marks) Duration - Two hours

- Comprehension
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
5th August 2011, 01:25 PM
balathegreat
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

To become an IAS officer you must clear an exam conducted UPSC(Union Public Service Commission).

To apply for that exam you must be a graduate or at least you must be doing your final year. And your age limit must be between 21 and 30.Your nationality must be indian. There are two exams to be cleared to become IAS. One is preliminary and another is main exam.

The following is the civil services examination preliminary test syllabus

Preliminary Examination Syllabus 2011

Scheme of CS (Preliminary) Examination
The Preliminary Examination consists of two papers of objective type (multiple-choice questions) carrying a maximum of 400 marks. The Question Papers (Test Booklets) are set in English & Hindi

Civil Services Aptitude Test
The new Recruitment Process of Civil Services Exam is called the CSAT or the Civil Services Aptitude Test. The CSAT is coming into effect from the Civil Services Examination, 2011. CSAT will not only enable us to choose civil servants with right aptitudes but also end the use of scaling system for varying subjects that has been a matter of concern for many. No changes are being introduced at this stage in the Civil Services (Main) Examination and Personality Test in the scheme of Civil Services Examination (CSE).
From Civil Service Examination 2011, Preliminary Examination would consist of two papers- Paper I and Paper II.

The syllabus and pattern of the Preliminary Examination would be as under :
(Paper 1) (200 marks) - Duration : Two hrs.
• Current events of national and international importance
• History of India and Indian national movement
• Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
• Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
• Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
• General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change-that donot require subject specialization
• General science.

(Paper II) (200 marks) – Duration : Two hrs
• Comprehension
• Interpersonal skills including communication skills
• Logical reasoning and analytical ability
• Decision making and problem solving
• General mental ability
• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
• English language comprehension skills (Class X level)
• Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of Paper-II) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.
• The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.

After you clear preliminary exam you will be eligible for main exam about whose details are as follows.

The Main examination comprises of nine papers, all of them of a descriptive type conducted within a span of 20 days.

It is designed to test not only the academic talent of the aspirant but also his ability to coordinate and present his knowledge in a clear and cogent manner. About 12,000 peoples were qualified for the Main Examination in 2010.

Civil Services Main Examination Timetable
Part B - Main Examination - Optional Subjects
Paper-I One of the Indian Languages to be selected by the candidate from the 22 languages included in the VIIIth Schedule to the Constitution (Qualifying Paper) 300 Marks
Paper-II English (Qualifying Paper) 300 Marks
Paper-III Essay [in the medium you choose] 200 Marks
Papers IV & V General Studies (300 Marks for each paper) 600 Marks
Papers VI, VII, VIII & IX Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from the prescribed optional subjects (300 marks for each paper) 1200 Marks
Total Marks for Written Examination 2000 Marks
Interview Test [in the medium you choose] 300 Marks
Grand Total 2300 Marks

For any other clear details about the syllabus and subjects you can go to the following link click here
5th August 2011, 01:28 PM
ROHIT1THAKUR

Arrow Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

IAS exam comes under the Civil Services exam conducted by UPSC.It is conducted in three stages i.e Preliminary,Main and Interview.You need to pass all the three stages in order to become an IAS.
The eligibility for IAS is as follows:
-Bachelor's degree from a recognized university.
-Age limit: 21-30yrs.

If you fulfill the above criteria,then you can apply for IAS exam.
Preliminary exam consist of two papers i.e General Studies and Optional Subject.It is of 2hrs each.
Main exam consist of 9 papers in all.It includes Language: one of the Indian languages, English, Essay GK and Current Affairs: 2 papers on general studies Optionals: papers from two subjects that fall in optional-1 and two papers from optional-2.

You can get the application form from the post offices by cash payment.
You can get the notification of the exams from the UPSC website.
http://www.upsc.gov.in/
5th August 2011, 01:42 PM
venkataprakash.v
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am amir and doing my b.tech i dont have any knowledge of IAS exam but iam very interested in doing of IAS exam please help me from A to Z .how much optional subjects have to be chosen for preliminary exam and you plz give me some idea of chosing the correct subjects.and you please tell me about the eligibility of writing preliminary exam plz give me a reply for this question as sooon as possible. plz help me.
I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Service Examination.

The entrance examination was conducted by Union Public Service Commission every year.

To become a IAS Officer,the candidate appear to Civil Service Examination.

The Civil Service consist of,
  • Preliminary Examination
  • Main Examination
  • Interview.
The preliminary examination consist of two papers.Both papers are objective type.

Exam pattern of preliminary examination :-

(Paper - 1)(200 Marks)consist of
  • Current events of national and internal importance
  • History of India and Indian national movements
  • Geography
  • Indian polity and governance
  • Economic and Social development
  • and General Science

(Paper - 2)(200 Marks)Consist of
  • Comprehension
  • Logical reasoning and analytical ability
  • decision making and problem solving
  • general mental ability
  • Basic Numercy
  • English Language and Comprehension skills

After clearing the preliminary examination the candidate called for the main examination.

Main Examination consist of nine papers and there is a one optional papers you can choose any of the optional subjects.

After clearing the Main examination the candidate called for Interview.

Eligibility Criteria for I.A.S :-

Graduation in any desire subject.
The candidate age should between 21 years to 30 years.
Applicants who are in the final year of examination may also eligible.
5th August 2011, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

eligubility criteria and syllabus for IAS examination?
29th August 2011, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Hello sir, this is aslam and I am studiying 3rd B.com I am very interest to IPS so what can I do and now my age 28 plz advise me
30th August 2011, 02:08 AM
sandipk
Senior Member+

The officers of the IAS play a major role in managing the bureaucracy of both the Union Government (Central Government) and the state governments

The Civil Services Examination is used for recruitment for many Indian administrative bodies. Civil Service Exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission(UPSC).
It has three stages:
  • a preliminary exam
  • a main exam
  • an interview

For more subject details:http://http://www.civilserviceindia.com/subject/

There used to be 23 optional subjects along with a general studies paper. Now there will be no optional subjects in the preliminary examination. Instead there will be a second paper which will be common for all candidates. It covers
  • aptitude,
  • general mathematics
  • comprehensive English
  • social studies
etc

• Repeated attempts are allowed up to four times for General Merit candidates.
  • seven times for OBC candidates.
  • There is no bar on the number of attempts for SC/ST candidates.
  • The upper age limit to attempt the examination is 35 for SC/ST
  • 30 years for the General Merit Candidate.
  • The candidate should not be older than 30 years of age as on 1 August of that year
The minimum age is 21 years.

About 850 candidates are finally selected each year out of the nearly 300,000, but only a rank i.e. top 50 guarantees an IAS or IFS selection

for more details: http://www.upsc.gov.in

~~~~GOOD LUCK~~~~~
30th August 2011, 02:09 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
dear friend,

After completing your Bacholar Degree, you are eligible for IAS exams.

So, Candidates with professional and technical qualifications recognised by the Government are eligible for appear in IAS exams.

Age limits -

21-30 years as on (Upper age limit relaxable for SCs/STs, OBCs and certain other categories.

Attempts -

The general Candidates get 4 attempts And 7 attemps of OBCs and no limit for SCs/STs Candidates in this exams.

Number of Exams -

Preliminary Examination - It is of objective type, which is a qualifying examination.

Main Examination - It consists of written examination and interview.

All the best.
30th August 2011, 11:41 AM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

Quote:
Hey friend,

Details about IAS exam:

IAS is one of the Indian Civil service exam and this exam is conducted by UPSC every year in search of IAS officer.

The candidates are selected for the post by 3 stages in the exam:

Preliminary exam
Main exam
Interview

The candidate must pass the preliminary exam first so that he/she will be eligible for the Main exam and then the interview.

For applying for the exam,the candidates must ensure that they satisfy all the eligibility criteria:

-> Candidate must be a citizen of India.

-> Candidate must have a age limit of 21-30 years for candidates of General category.

-> Candidates of SC/ST category must have a age limit of 21-35 years.

-> Candidates of OBC category must have a age limit of 21-33 years.

-> Candidates who are Ex-service men get 5 years exception from the prescibe limits.

-> Candidates must have finished their graduation from a recognized university.

-> Candidates who are writing their final degree exam or waiting for the result can also apply for the exam.

Attempts:

For SC/ST there is no limit.
For OBC it is 7
For General it is 4.

For more information regarding the exam you can get at the official site of UPSC at http://www.upsc.gov.in
30th August 2011, 06:47 PM
dhruv007

this exam is conducted by UPSC every year, for applying in this exam you should clear your graduation in any stream from any recognized university . the age limit exist for this exam 21-30 years.(5 & 3 relaxations for SC\ST & OBC candidates).candidates who are the final years students can also apply for this exam.

no. of attempts- for general candidates -4 times
for OBC candidates- 7 times
for SC\ST candidates there are no such restrictions.

And Eligible candidates may fill the application form Online By visit the official website, OR you can also obtained the application form directly form the Designated post offices in India.

So please wait for the Notification and then apply for the UPSC Civil Services examination and for more Information please check the official website -

http://upsc.gov.in
12th September 2011, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

whats date of mains exams 2011?
26th September 2011, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Sir,am sunil..I am doing my B.E,5th sem..am very much interested to do IAS.can u suggest me..how to prapare for this exam now onwords..plz suggest me sir..
26th September 2011, 11:13 PM
vasu&sakshi

Smile Re: Detailed information regarding IAS Exam?

Quote:
Eligiblity Criteria for IAS Examination -
- You Must Be a graduate in any discipline From a recognised university
- your age should between 21 to 30 years.
- Final year Graduate Candidates are also eligible to apply for This examination.
27th September 2011, 12:28 AM
saurabh abhijeet

hello,

union public service commission conducts the exam for IAS
for which the eligibility criteria is;

qualification

- a candidate should be graduate from any recognized university
-a candidate as an appearing can also apply for the exam

age limit

-a candidate's age should be between 21-30 for general
-for OBC upper age limit is 33 years
-for SC/ST candidate upper age limit is 35 years

number of attempts

-for general-4 attempts
-for OBC- 7 attempts
-for SC/ST- no limits

for further details you can visit the link

www.upsc.gov.in
27th September 2011, 02:52 AM
praveendia

The IAS Exam will consist of three stages: Prelims , Mains , and Interview (Personality Test). While the Preliminary exam willbe objective in nature, themains will be written while the personality test is verbal.

You have to clear the preceding stage to reach the next stage of IAS 2012Exam. For instance you will need to first crack theIAS prelims, then appear for the mains, and based on the marks obtained you may be called for the IAS interview, the final frontier.To appear for the IAS exam you will first need to apply for it. All the three stages of the IAS exam are conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), a Constitutional body answerable to the Union Parliament.

The notification for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination (or just IAS prelims) will appear in the Employment News and on UPSC's website on 04-02-2012 and you can apply either online or through application formsavailable at the Head PostOffices throughout cities in India.

Remember : You cannot directly appear for the Mains or Interview. Rather you have to first apply for the Preliminary examination conducted by UPSC before proceeding to the next stage.

The last date of receipt of your application is 05-03-2012 . At this stage you don't have to send any documents about your age or educational qualifications. They will be required at the time of filling the IAS Mains form.

The Preliminary exam or the first stage of the IAS Exam 2012 will be held on 20-05-2012 .What You Need to Know

Here is some basic and important information about the Prelims if you intend to appear for the ias exam in 2012.

*. The IAS Prelims will be objective in nature and consist of two papers compulsory to all

*. Most questions carry a negative penalty or negative marking of 0.33 marks for each wrong answer

*. Each paper will of 200 marks each and 2 hours in duration. The number of questions in each paper is not fixed and can vary every year

*. You have to appear for both papers, held on the same day, for your papers to be checked

*. Even if you appear for one paper, your attemptis counted

*. If you merely apply for the Prelims but do not appear for the exam then your attempt is notcounted

2012 Prelims Syllabus

As already mentioned, thePrelims is objective in nature and each question carries four choices out of which the candidate has to select one right option. The new CSAT or Prelims syllabus was introduced from the 2011 exam and is as follows.

(Paper 1) (200 marks) - Duration : Two hrs

*. Current events of national and international importance

*. History of India and Indian national movement

*. Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world

*. Indian Polity and governance constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.

*. Economic and social development sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics,social sector initiatives etc.

*. General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change-that donot require subject specialization

*. General science.

(Paper II) (200 marks) Duration : Two hrs

*. Comprehension

*. Interpersonal skills including communication skills

*. Logical reasoning and analytical ability

*. Decision making and problem solving

*. General mental ability

*. Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. Class X level)

*. English language comprehension skills (Class X level)

*. Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item inthe Syllabus of Paper-II) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.

*. The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.Educational Eligibility for IAS

*. Graduate in any discipline from a university recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC)

*. You can appear for the Prelims even if the final year's result is awaited provided you produce it while filling the Mains form

Citizenship Eligibility for IAS

*. MUST be a Citizen of India

Age Eligibility for IAS

*. Minimum 21 years of age at the time of filling the Prelims form and not more than 30 years for General category

*. For OBC candidates between 21 and 33 years of age

*. For SC/ST candidates between 21 and 35 years of age

Attempt Eligibility for IAS

*. For General category students not more than 4 attempts including prelims

*. For OBC candidates not more than 7 attempts

*. For SC/ST candidates no limit on attempts. Only age limit.
27th September 2011, 12:19 PM
peterpan10
Senior Member+

Detailed information regarding IAS :

My friend,
Here is the details information regarding IAS :

Educational qualification :
You must complete your graduation.

Age Limitation :
For general :30 years.
For SC/ST:35 years.
For OBC :33 years.

No. of Attempts :
For general:4 attempts
For SC/ST:Unlimited
For OBC:7 attempts.
27th September 2011, 08:46 PM
shibendu

Here is the details information about IAS :

>You must be a graduate.
>Your age can be maximum30 years.
>You only make 4 attempts.
26th November 2011, 03:54 PM
gamble007
Senior Member++

INDIAN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE [IAS]

There is a CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION ,conducted by UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION [UPSC].For become a IAS officer, you must have to clear this examination.
This civil service examination have three stages, to be clear in the way of a IAS aspirants.
1.CSAT [CIVIL SERVICE ATTITUDE TEST]
2.MAINS
3.INTERVIEW [PERSONALITY TEST]

EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION-

A graduation degree in any stream from a recognized college.

The age limit for this examination is 21-30 years, there are 5 & 3 years of the age relaxations are applicable for the SC\ST & OBC candidates respectively.

Exam pattern of CSAT-

No of attempts-
Four for the GENERAL candidates..
Seven for the OBC candidates..
No such restriction for the SC\ST candidates...

Thank you!!!
~gamble~
27th December 2011, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

I am parvinder kaur.i am persuing b.com final.i want to know all informaion of IAS exam .i m very interested in this.so please give me every information about this exam.how to prepare for this exam and give me A to Z details about this exam..how many papers in prelimanry exam?????please give me all details about this exam....
20th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

iam compleating my b-tech now iam eligible for ias or not
25th March 2012, 01:07 AM
poole

ya sure! for being an IAS officer you need to crack the exam conducted by U.P.S.C., India, in which you can choose your subject of interest as your main exam paper but all you need to have is good knowledgeof the subject along with a great control over the issues of general awareness and public administration. you should also possess a decision making ability and a lot of patience!
all it demands is hardwork and a sound brain, so you can readily answer the questions asked to you in the interview!
All The BEST!
13th April 2012, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

GOOD MORNING
hello sir/madam,
im shefali jain..i did my graduation in commerce taxation as my specialization.my only aim is IAS.. but im new to this.i dont have any knowledge of IAS exam but iam very interested in doing of IAS exam please help me from A to Z . i dont have the idea on how to choose the subjects in optional subjects in the preliminary exam 2012.so kindly can you tell me what subject i must choose for this exam and other information regarding this exam.. please reply as soon as possible

thanks & regards,
SHEFALI JAIN
5th October 2012, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

sir please explain me about optional papers.y
thank you
5th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

sir please explain me about optional papers.y
thank you
5th February 2013, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

I am huda doing my bsc. Biotech 3rd yr,i wana go for upsc xamination,so plz suggest me the trend to start my preparation nd most importantly gve me the info abt optional subjects dat i should opt.
21st March 2013, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

I AM DOING GRATUATION IN PHYSICS CHEMISTRY MATH ENGLISH I WANT TO BECOME AN IAS OFFICER PLZ GIVE ME ALL KNOLEDGE ABOUT IT
21st March 2013, 08:35 PM
dhirajen18
Senior Member+++++

First of all there is no specific exam as IAS Exam. To become an IAS(Indian Administrative Service) officer, one has to apply, appear and crack Civil Service Exam conducted by UPSC every year.

The eligible candidate must be an Indian National having either appear for the final Graduation Degree exam or pass in any stream from a recognised University within the age of 21 to 30 years with upper age relaxation for reserved candidate.

The selection is through two stages of written exam followed by Personal Interview.

The candidate applying for Civuil Service exam, is called for a Preliminary exam called as CSAT(Civil Service Aptitude Test) and the candidate selected out of this is called for the Civil Service Main Exam and the final selection is conducted through Personal Interview from the candidate selected out of Main Exam.

The Civil Service can be applied both through off line an online mode.

For more information you may log on to http://www.upsc.gov.in
26th February 2014, 01:13 PM
ChakrabortyP
Senior Member++++

UPSC comprises of three sections Preliminary Examination which covers objective type questions, Mains which is subjective type questions and personal interview questions. For eligibility part, aspirant’s age limit should be between 19 to 40 years. Relaxation is also given for SC/ST candidates of 2 years as per the government norms. Also candidate should be Indian and must possess a graduation degree in Mathematics, statistics, Geology, natural science, civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, economics, Chemical Engineering.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?