8th July 2011, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Difference between IAS and IPS exam? Pattern and syllabus for the exam?

Hello

Just, I want to know any difference between ias and ips exams and pattern & syllabus or same exam for ias and ips both. Please clear the difference

28th July 2011, 09:39 AM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Difference between IAS and IPS exam? Pattern and syllabus for the exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello

Just, I want to know any difference between ias and ips exams and pattern & syllabus or same exam for ias and ips both. Please clear the difference
No there is no difference between these two in the sense of examination for examination it is same that means in terms of syllabus and interview etc..,

As you know IAS/IPS are the services for which a common entrance examination called civil services examination will be conducted by UPSC

everything till the end of the examination pattern will be same for both IAS/IPS aspirants.

at the last stage when you give preferences of services then the IAS aspirant must tick on IAS and IPS aspirant must prefer IPS as their first option and interest.

In interview the candidates will be questioned why do they have interest on their preferred service.

they have to be ready to answer that with a genuine answer.
This is all about difference in the IAS/IPS examination what you have questioned.

if you want to clarify with the official website then just check this link

click here

all the best

regards

~AdityA~
28th July 2011, 07:51 PM
saurav9889

Default Re: Difference between IAS and IPS exam? Pattern and syllabus for the exam?

friend ias and ips are different cadres but their recruitment is through the same upsc civil services exam. hence there is no difference in syllabus for ias and ips exams. generally after getting a merit rank candidates based upon their personal inclination take up ias or ips cadre.
1st August 2011, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Difference between IAS and IPS exam? Pattern and syllabus for the exam?

i am b.c.a. holder.what am i eligible for i.a.s. ?
13th August 2011, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

MARK LIMIT BETWEEN IAS AND IPS ?
29th August 2011, 08:48 PM
immadikondalarao

Quote:
Hello

hai,

Main Examination and Personal interview
Those who qualify Preliminary round appear for Main examination.
Those who qualify Main examination are called for Interview.
The marks of Main examination and Interview are sum up to prepare the final merit list.
The Main examination comprise of following papers.
Essay type Indian Language Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
General Essay type paper (200 marks)
General Studies(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-I(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-II(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)

Interview: 300 marks.

IPS (Indian Police Service)

we all know IAS/IPS is the most prestigious examination of our country.We have to show our passion and determination about these examination to qualify it.

Name of Civil Services : IPS (Indian Police Service)

Exam Date : Prelim in 1st week of May & Mains in 2nd week of Oct

The application procedure will be available in the notification.
You can either apply online or you can get the application form post office and send
in your application.

Eligibility Criteria :

Main Examination and Personal interview
Those who qualify Preliminary round appear for Main examination.
Those who qualify Main examination are called for Interview.
The marks of Main examination and Interview are sum up to prepare the final merit list.
The Main examination comprise of following papers.
Essay type Indian Language Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
General Essay type paper (200 marks)
General Studies(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-I(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-II(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)

Interview: 300 marks.

1.Age limit

21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing. Maximum 30 for general category, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs . Ex-servicemen will get 5 more years exemption from the prescribed age limit The date of birth accepted by the Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognized by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University, which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate.

2.Number of Attempts

Four attempts for open, seven for OBCs and no limit for SCs/STs. If a person appears in the Preliminary Examination or even one paper is counted as an attempt.

3.Restrictions on applying for the examination:

A candidate who is appointed to the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Foreign Service on the results of an earlier examination and continues to be a member of that service will not be eligible to compete at this examination.

4. Minimum Physical Standard

The physical standards are important for the job profile and the rigorous training at the NPA, which includes weekly run for 10 k.m. in 60 minutes, route march for 25 k.m. UAC, Horse riding, rock climbing, assault course, PT obstacles, rope climbing etc. I shall give a detailed a/c of this sometime.
Services are divided into technical and non-technical. Technical services are IRTS, IPS, DANI PS, CISF, RPF & other Police organization. The Medical standards for Technical Services are stringent.

For IPS-

Height – Male 165 cm Pahari Male (general also) & ST (not the SC/ OBC) – 160 cm

Female 150 cm Pahari Female (general also) & ST (not SC/ OBC)- 145 cm

Chest – Male Minimum 84 cm. Expansion 5 cm.

Female Min 79 cm expansion 5 cm.

(Those can’t expand the chest go to next service. If expansion is less during 1st Medical, i.e. just after interview; during second Medical, i.e. after the result, or appeal, expansion can be shown.)

Many people fail in this test of chest expansion.

(I know some people who have cleared this exam during the second Medical Test, i.e. after the Medical Exam conducted after the declaration of Final result)

Eye sight – 6/6 or 6/9 distant vision for good eye. 6/12 or 6/9 for worst eye. Near vision J 1 for good eye. J2 for worst eye. The correction is by lenses
only. High standard for the Colour-blind test. No inherent night blindness. Vision should stereoscopic.

Blood pressure (High) – Age 23 – 123, age 24 – 124, age 25 –122, age 28 – 124, age 30 –125, age 32 – 126, age 34 – 127.

Ladies should not be pregnant at the time of Medical Test.

Ear- good listening & normal ear cavity. 1000 to 4000 frequency hearing impairment shd not be more than 30 decibels.

Nasal- candidate should not stammer while speaking.

Exam Pattern :

All India Combined Competitive Examination for the Civil Services conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) comprises of two successive stages:

Preliminary Examination: It is of objective type, which is a qualifying examination.
Main Examination: It consists of written examination and interview.
The Preliminary Examination is held in May/June and the Main Examination in October/November. One must begin preparations of the main exam along with preliminary exam. This is because there is little time for the Main exam if one waits for the results of the Preliminaries.

so work hard..............

all the best
7th September 2011, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

is their any physical test also done in ias/ips. and also tell me what is the main difference b/w ias/ ips..
8th September 2011, 03:15 AM
pitabash

for IAS and IPS, the exam is same. first you have to give the preliminary exam of public service examination conducted by union public service commission, New Delhi. This exam is based on GK, english, math, aptidute, and if you qualify this exam, then you have to apply again for the main examination. In the main exam, you have to choose two subjects based on which you have to give a subjective examination. If you qualify the subjective examination, then you will be called for the interview. Thats all.
29th March 2012, 12:06 AM
Unregistered

I HAVE GIVEN 12TH BOARDS N WANT TO JOIN INDIAN POLICE SERVICE,WHEN SHOULD I START PREPARING FOR IT?
16th November 2012, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

give me full detail for IAS IPS servise application
17th November 2012, 07:55 AM
shiv puri

hello friend,

There is no difference between IPS and IAS exam both exam pattern are same.

1.First a fall you have to clear the preliminary exam.
2.The main exam and at last
3.Interview

I hope this helpful to you....

Thanking you...
17th November 2012, 11:40 AM
radha 2
Senior Member+

hi,

Both are conducted by UPSC in every year. IAS stands for Indian and IPS stands for Indian police service.

Eligibility for IAS/IPS
The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities ,Candidates who have appeared or intend to appear for the qualifying examination and are awaiting results are also eligible.

candidate must be citizen of India.

A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years
17th November 2012, 03:17 PM
Dharm27
Senior Member+++++

Thumbs up Re: Difference between IAS and IPS exam? Pattern and syllabus for the exam?

Quote:
give me full detail for IAS IPS servise application

Dear Aspirant,

If you are wishing to Become an IPS or IAS Officer then you have to apply for Civil Service Examination Conducted by UPSC Every year........

Require Qualification for that here is below......

Qualification for IAS/IPS:

>> A candidate must have completed their Graduation Degree in any Stream With at least 50% from Recognized universities......

>> A final Year student can also apply for both of it.....

Age Limitation:

>> General age limit is between 21 to 30 years. (There is a relaxation is available for Reserved category OBC +3 years, SC/ST +5 years on Upper age).....

Attempt Limit:

>> General Attempt Limit maximum 4 times. (OBC candidate can maximum 7 times, SC/ST No attempt limit)......

Exam Pattern:

1. Preliminary Exam.
  2. Main Exam
  3. Interview

Subjects for IAS/IPS:
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • History
  • Law
  • Arabic
  • Assamese
  • Bengali
  • Agriculture
  • Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
  • Anthropology
  • Botany
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Commerce & Accountancy
  • Economics
  • Electrical Engineering

^^^^^^^^^^ Books For Reference ^^^^^^^^^^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the best

With Regards......
Dharm
17th November 2012, 04:07 PM
multitask

- IAS means Indian Administrative Services

- IPS means Indian police Services

- Both the posts are through entrance test called CSAT.

- CSAT means Civil services Aptitude Test.

- Exam pattern and syllabus are same for bth the posts.

- Eligibility criteria to apply for both the positions is same.

- For CSAT - Gradution is needed from a recognised universty and the age must be between 21 years to 30 years.

- For CSAT - there are 3 stages of the exam - Preliminary exam, Main exam and Interview.
17th November 2012, 06:22 PM
eduforall
Senior Member+++

Hi,

There is no such difference in the exam pattern and syllabus for the entrance exam for IAS and IPS.

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services, IPS stands for Indian Police Services.

UPSC conducts the exam for IAS / IPS in the form of CSAT - Civil Services Aptitude Test.

Eligibility criteria for CSAT-

1. Candidate should be of Indian origin.

2- Graduation in any discipline from a recognised university.

3- Age - 21-30 years.

There are three stages of this exam -

1- Preliminary exam
2- Main exam
3- Interview

Syllabus of CSAT -

Paper I - (200 marks) Duration: Two hours - 2 Marks each with negative mark of .33%
• Current events of national and international importance
• History of India and Indian National Movement
• Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
• Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
• Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
• General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization
• General Science.

Paper II - (200 marks) Duration: Two hours - 2.5 Marks each with negative mark of .33%
• Comprehension
• Interpersonal skills including communication skills
• Logical reasoning and analytical ability
• Decision making and problem solving
• General mental ability
• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
• English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
3rd June 2013, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

which optional subject i should choose being a mechanical engineering
30th April 2015, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

I AM PERSUING BS(HSC) AND I WANT TO BECOME IAS OFFICER BUT MY MATH IS TOO POOR SO PLEASE SUGGEST ME
8th September 2015, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

does IAS exam have any physical test? I have 50% hearing loss in one ear..whether i will be eligible for the exam?
?
9th September 2015, 12:16 PM
Rashmuu

IAS and IPS both are the posts.These posts can be get on the basis of performance in the entrance exam. Upsc conducts the exam as CSE.It is necessary to have a graduation degree in any stream from a recognised university with good percentages for being eligible in this exam.
28th March 2020, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

Give me a list of best books for preliminary examination of IPS
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?