7th January 2015, 05:03 PM
abhit tomar

Procedure to become a captain in merchant navy?

Sir .i wnt to be a captain in merchant nevy ..so please help me about the procedure and other thing in this type of job.

Related Questions:
17th June 2017, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Procedure to become a captain in merchant navy?

If I complete my be and b tech in mechanical envy. Then what is the procedure to join the cruise and the type of job offered for me also after that how to become the captain of the ship????
11th August 2020, 10:56 AM
deepikapandey9999

After you have done your 10+2, you have in total 3 options to choose from:

DNS ( Diploma in Nautical Science)
BSNT ( Bachelor of science in nautical technology)
BSME ( Bachelor of science in marine engineering )
You firstly have to choose between two .i.e. whether you want to join on the deck side which will lead you to the post of Captain in future or you may join on the engine side which will lead you to the post of Chief Engg. in future.

In the above mentioned courses DNS (Duration-1yr.) and BSNT (Duration-3yr.) both are for the deck job and choosing BSME will give you the engine side job of the ship.

Other than this when you opt for any of the above mentioned courses there is a minimum medical requirement which you need to pass before joining. These requirements may be found on any merchant navy’s clg website or basic needs list.

I personally feel for any of these courses you should only opt for Tolani Maritime Institute because just doing these courses is not enough, you also have to get placed in any company to complete your internship.
14th August 2020, 11:36 AM
deepikapandey9999

You have to do a pre sea course as a trainee and be hired by one of the shipping companies. Then you have to do a government affiliated nautical exams for 2nd Off, First Mate and finally Master Mariner. Prior each exam you will have to do a certain amount of time at sea, then college time with some required additional courses which will train you in some fields. After you get a License or a Competency Certificate you have to be promoted by the company. So even if you have your Master Mariners Certificate of Competency which will allow you to sail as a Captain/Master onboard, you will first need to be promoted by your company to the rank of a Master.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?