21st February 2012, 09:11 PM
Abhilasha_Eha

What are the various jobs that I can get after applying for UPSC exam?

What are the various jobs that I can acquire/consider applying through UPSC exam? What are the Good reputed jobs ( i know just IAS)? What kind of facilities do they get(govt bunglow,car etc)?

22nd February 2012, 12:20 AM
rvidyasagar

Default Re: What are the various jobs that I can get after applying for UPSC exam?

The UPSC recruits officers for Government of India through its competitive exams. Civil Services Exam, Engg Services, Indian Economic Service, etc are examples.

If you go through the detailed notification of these exams, you will notice that the exams cover a vast variety of services. For example, the Civil Services exam selects officers for Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, ,Indian Police Service, Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Indian Defence Accounts Service, Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Indian Postal Service, Indian Civil Accounts Service, Indian Railway Traffic Service, Indian Railway Accounts Service, Indian Railway Personnel Service, Railway Protection Force, Indian Defence Estates Service, Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Indian Trade Service, Indian Corporate Law Service, Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Pondicherry Civil Service, and Pondicherry Police Service.

The nature of designation would vary from service to service. You may see the details of the Civil Services exam from the UPSC website. For other exams also (though they are not under process at the moment), you can see the past advertisements from the website. Service conditions and promotion prospects vary from service to service.

Generally, the UPSC recruits officers at Gazetted levels. The organized services (all the above are organized services) have a steady pattern of prmotion, provided you meet the bench mark. Generally, the people in the IAS cadre get speedy promotion. This discrimination faced by people of other service has been addressed by the last Pay Commission and the so-called IAS parity has been introduced.

Regarding facilities, yes, they are entitled for Govt or departmental quarters. Of course, they have to surrender their House Rent allowance and further pay a nominal licence fee for the quarters. In some places, the govt accommodations are at very good places. But, a fresher may not get a govt accommodation immediately. It depends on the place of posting. They may become eligible for the so-called bungalow type accommodation much later when they are about to retire.

They can avail govt transport to attend office works away from office by a pool of vehicles. After, they rise upto the level of Senior Administrative Grade, they may become eligible for a dedicated vehicle and a driver. A transport allowance is paid (which varies for different grades) for reaching the office and to go back.

Phone facility is provided for official calls.

Children get preferential treatment for admission in Kendriya Vidyalayas.

They are eligible to get treatment through Central Government Health Scheme or authorised medical attendant. They can also get treatment in several referral hospitals and get their bills reimbursed.

Upon transfer from one place to another place, they get expenses for packing and forwarding their personal effects, motor car, rail/air tickets and one month's basic pay as lump sum grant. Upon retirement they get these to their home town.

They get leave travel facility for self and family members to home town once in two years and anywhere in the country once in four years. They get tuition allowance for their children.

Of course, if you do an analysis of private sector vs. govt jobs, you will notice that the perks enjoyed in private sector are much better.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?