30th July 2016, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Am I eligible to appear in Indian Foreign Service exam being a BA English Honours student? Which subjects and books should I opt for better a preparation?

Respected sir, I am a student of BA English Honours. I am interested to be an Indian Foreign Service officer. I would be highly obliged if you kindly provide me with the necessary guidelines for it's preparation, the subjects required, the books that I should refer to and the eligibility criteria to apply for it?

Related Questions:
  1. Can I choose Chemistry in 2nd paper of Indian Forest Service recruitment exam being a English undergraduate SC student?
  2. Optional subjects in Indian Foreign Services examination for a BA Psychology student? Best books and institution for preparation?
  3. What is the job of Indian Foreign Service Officer? What is the syllabus and which are the scoring subjects?
  4. How can I appear in Indian Foreign Service exam? Reference books for the preparation? Does IFS conducts Preliminary exam?
  5. Job profile of Indian foreign service man? Syllabus of IFS and subjects should be taken for the exam? Working as Indian ambassador in foreign country after cracking IFS exam?
  6. Reference books for preparation of Indian Foreign Service exam?
  7. Procedure to apply, question pattern and reference books for preparation of Indian Foreign Service exam?
  8. Should I start preparation for Indian Postal Service exam after completing 12th? Whether the mentioned subjects are compulsory? Suitable books for preparation?
  9. Any good coaching centers for IFS in Hyderabad? -- [Most Discussed]
  10. Am I eligible to join Indian Foreign Service being a 22 years old CA Final student?
  11. To become an Indian Foreign Service Officer after +2?
  12. List some reference books for preparation of Indian Foreign Service exam?
  13. Indian Foreign Service- Examination
  14. Whether a B.Tech student is eligible to apply for Indian Foreign Service with Metallurgical Engineering subject?
  15. B.Tech student is eligible to apply for Indian Foreign Service with Metallurgical Engineering subject?
  16. Eligibility to appear in Indian Foreign Service exam for B.Sc(Computer Science) student?
  17. Am I eligible for Indian foreign Service exams after being detained due to health problems? -- [New]
  18. Am I eligible to join the Indian Navy after completing BA in English Literature?
31st July 2016, 03:41 PM
shrivastava_aman
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Am I eligible to appear in Indian Foreign Service exam being a BA English Honours student? Which subjects and books should I opt for better a preparation?

The posts of IFS are filled up through the civil services examination conducted by the UPSC.

According to the eligibility criteria released by the UPSC :

* The candidate should be a citizen of India.

* The candidate should have completed graduation through any stream under the scheme of 10+2+3 at least form a recognized university.

* The candidate should be of 21 years at least at the time of application.

* The candidate should be physically and medically fit.

So, no matter which graduation degree you pursue, you will be eligible for the CSE.

There are 2 kinds of subjects :
* General Studies (8-10 subjects)
- Indian History
- Indian Polity
- Indian Geography
- World History
- World Geography
- Indian Economy
- Science and Technology
- Enviornment and Ecology etc

* Optional Subjects :
Here you have to choose any one optional subject for the mains exam from the following :
- History
- Geography
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Philosophy
- Psychology etc.
31st July 2016, 06:10 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to appear in Indian Foreign Service exam being a BA English Honours student? Which subjects and books should I opt for better a preparation?

Yes, if you are interested in joining the service you need to start the preparation for Civil Services examination as you are eligible to appear for examination.

The examination is conducted in three stages as Preliminary, Mains and Interview stages.

To qualify in written examination you need to have well knowledge of General Studies, Current Affairs and Reasoning and Logical Ability. So, first of all try to go through NCERT books from VI-XII and some of best recommended books as Laxmikant for Political Science, Indian History by Bipin Chand Pal etc.

The candidates are eligible to select the optional paper irrespective of discipline paper of bachelor degree according to your examination preparation. For more information about examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.

The eligibility to appear for examination is candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline and age limit to appear for examination is 21-32 years with relaxation in upper age limit for reserved.
31st July 2016, 08:46 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear for Civil Services examination after the bachelor of Arts.

The eligibility to appear for examination is :-

Candidate must have passed bachelor degree from any recognised university.

Candidate's age must be between 21-32 years with relaxation for reserved category.

To qualify in examination you require better preparation and first and foremost to qualify in examination is the better strategy and better revision of all the topics as according to syllabus of examination.

Some of recommended books, newspaper and magazines for preparation of examination is :-

The Hindu, Hindustan Times, Times of India etc..

Pratoyigita Darpan, Times, YOJANA, Kurushetra etc..

N.C.E.R.T books of Geography, History, Political Science and Economics from Std VIth - 12th.

You also need to go though books of NIOS for Enviornmental Studies. So, kindly go through the syllabus for better preparation.
31st July 2016, 09:24 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

If you are interested to join Indian Forest Services then you must apply for Civil Services examination and clear all the three stages of this exam which is preliminary, mains and interview. Subject that plays vital role in this examination is History, Political science, Geography, Economics etc. You need to have good command over all these subjects so that you can solve conceptual as well as tricky questions.

Newspaper is also necessary for this examination. You need to be updated with latest current affair for this examination. For any candidate who has done bachelor's degree in psychology, psychology would be the best optional subject for mains exam. You can go through books like NCERT books for social science, science from sixth standard to 10+2 standard. You can also refer to standard books of these subjects mentioned above.

Graduates or final year candidates are eligible to apply for this exam. The minimum age limit is 21 years.
31st July 2016, 09:54 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

English Honours candidates are eligible for Civil Services examination because minimum academic qualification required is bachelor's degree in any discipline.

*Age criteria is 21-32 years.

*Preparation strategy: Read daily newspapers, NCERT books and standard books for subjects like Geography, Economics, Political science and History.

For joining Indian Foreign Services, you must qualify in all stages that is Preliminary, mains and interview.
31st July 2016, 10:41 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

As, candidate passed bachelor degree in any discipline are eligible to appear for Civil Service examination. So, you will be eligible to appear for examination after the B.A in English.

But, you have to qualify in Civil Services examination for the final selection. The notification for the 2017 examination will be available from February 22nd.

The examination requires 3D that is determination, dedication and devotion to the study along with proper strategy as the examination is among the toughest examination.

It is necessary to have better information and knowledge of all the topics mentioned in the syllabus and about the current affairs, events taking place around the world and India.

There are many books of best author but the basis book which is the foundation for examination is of NIOS and N.C.E.R.T. To get syllabus for examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
31st July 2016, 11:00 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Indian Foreign Services comes under Civil Services of Indian Government. The entrance examination conducted for IFS is Civil Services examination. It is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. For this exam, minimum academic qualification required is bachelor's degree. English Honours candidates are eligible to apply for Civil Services examination.

The age limit for Civil Services exam is 21-32 years. Upper age limit relaxed by three years and five years for candidates of OBC and SC/ST category.

Preparation strategy:

>>In first stage of preparation, complete NCERT books of social science from 6th standard to tenth standard then read standard books of each subject like History by Spectrum or Bipan Chandra, Polity by DD Basu or Laximant etc.

>>Ready The Hindu newspaper daily and be updated with current affairs. You can select English as your optional subject as it is your degree subject.
21st June 2019, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

I am a ba spanish hons student from eflu. Am i eligible for indian foreign service examination. Which subjects should i opt and what are the best strategies to prepare for the civil services examination?
11th November 2019, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

which subject that i should take in class 12 for taking ba english??
18th May 2021, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

sir, I passed hindi(hons) from delhi university with 63.5% ,
can I applied for IFS
26th June 2021, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

Sir I'm BA English Honours and currently pursuing my masters.In this process of my Masters I would like to appear an exam which I'm unable to decide which exam would be best? Kindly help me with this Sir?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?