30th July 2016, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Optional subjects in Indian Foreign Services examination for a BA Psychology student? Best books and institution for preparation?

Dear sir, I am Dona Jose from kerala. I am verymuch interestend in Indian Foregin Service and now I am studying second year of BA Psychology. My quesltion is that which optional subjects can I taken in IFS examination? Also the best books for the preparation of this exam. Name of best institutions where I can go for preparation?

31st July 2016, 03:27 PM
shrivastava_aman
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Optional subjects in Indian Foreign Services examination for a BA Psychology student? Best books and institution for preparation?

The posts of IFS are filled up through the civil services examination conducted by the UPSC.

According to the eligibility criteria released by the UPSC :

* The candidate should be a citizen of India.

* The candidate should have completed graduation through any stream under the scheme of 10+2+3 at least form a recognized university.

* The candidate should be of 21 years at least at the time of application.

* The candidate should be physically and medically fit.

So, no matter which graduation degree you pursue, you will be eligible for the CSE.

Since you are pursuing BA Psychology, yo will have a great benefit of Psychology as an optional subject in the Mains exam.

There are a number of books for different subjects in the GS and the best institutes are as follows for the same :

* Vajiram and Ravi, Delhi
* Sriram IAS, Delhi
* IAS Mentor, Delhi
* Shakar IAS, AP
* ETEN- ALS, Delhi (they provide satellite classes as well)
31st July 2016, 06:15 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Optional subjects in Indian Foreign Services examination for a BA Psychology student? Best books and institution for preparation?

There is no restriction on selection of optional paper for examination, so you are eligible to select the optional paper other than discipline paper of your bachelor degree course.

The important books for preparation for examination is :-

N.C.E.R.T VI-XIIth Std.

Indian History by Bipin Chandra.

Indian Polity by LAXMIKANT.

Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh.

These are best books for preparation of examination. Some of the best institute for examination preparation is :-

VAJIRAM & RAVI.

ALS.

Chanakaya IAS.
31st July 2016, 07:22 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

There are many subjects among which you can select any one subject for your optional paper for mains exam for Civil Services examination. From my point of view, psychology would be the best option for you to take as optional subject for mains exam as you are pursuing bachelor's degree in it.

Best institute of Civil Services examination:

1. Vajiram and Ravi IAS academy.

2. Rau's IAS study circle.

3. ALS IAS institute.

4. Reddy IAS academy.

The best books for this exam preparation are polity by Laxmikant, Economics by Ramesh Singh, History by Bipan chandra, geography by GC Leong and NCERT books.
31st July 2016, 08:51 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

I.F.S stands for Indian Forest Service and after the bachelor degree you will be eligible to appear for Civil Services examination.

The candidates are free to select the optional paper other than there of discipline paper in Mains examination. So, you can select any from the available list at UPSC webiste.

The list of optional subject is available at http://upsc.gov.in/general/civil.htm...ts - CS (Main)
31st July 2016, 10:21 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

As you are pursuing bachelor's degree in Psychology, I would suggest you to take this subject as an optional subject for UPSC Civil Services examination Mains stage. Graduation subjects will surely help you in preparing for mains examination. Take psychology as an optional subject, you will get success in this.

There are many institutes to prepare for this examination like Rau IAS study circle, Vision IAS, Vajiram and Ravi IAS, Chronical IAS study circle etc. You can take admission in any coaching, all are equally good.

The best books for preparation are Economics written by Sanjeev Verma and then by Ramesh Singh. Geography by GC Leong and DR Khullar for Indian geography. Indian Polity by Laxmikant and History by Bipan Chandra.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?