17th October 2014, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

What is the job of Indian Foreign Service Officer? What is the syllabus and which are the scoring subjects?

What job does Indian foreign service man do? I am doing B.Sc economics 1st year so what is syllabus for IFS and which subjects should i take to score more?Are there any special books that i should refer to study?If i crack this exam will i work as Indian ambassador in foreign country?

22nd October 2014, 12:25 PM
belide
Senior Member+++

Default Re: What is the job of Indian Foreign Service Officer? What is the syllabus and which are the scoring subjects?

In order to work in Indian Foreign Service (IFS), initially you need to attend and get a good rank in Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). It is a national wide examination. IFS is considered as Group A and Group B of the Central Civil Services of Government of India.

UPSC will be held in three stages as follows,

• Preliminary Examination.
• Main Examination and
• Interview.

Candidate need to get cutoff mark in each level to proceed to the next level. Each year among 4 to 5 lakh candidates only 800 to 900 every year and the top rankers are given IFS. Any candidate who has done is degree is eligible for UPSC.

Functions of Foreign Service Officer:

As a Foreign Service Officer, you are supposed to promote or project India’s wide areas of interests at home and also at abroad.

This includes,

• Economic promotion
•Political promotion.
• Trade promotion
• Investment promotion.
• Representing India in multilateral organizations like UN.
• Should promote friendly relationships with all nations and NRIs.
• Need to represent India in its Embassies all over the world.
It is similar to working as an Indian ambassador in foreign countries.

Syllabus for IFS:

• General English
• General Knowledge
• Agriculture
• Economics
• Macro and Micro Economics
• Forestry
• Geology
• Mathematics
• Physics.

You can choose optional subjects related to economics as you are doing your B.Sc economics to score good rank.

Designations in IFS:

• Third Secretary
• Second Secretary
• First Secretary
• Director
• Minister/DCM Ambassador
• High Commissioner
• Ambassador

Best books to prepare for IFS:

• Indian Forestry : A Breakthrough Approach to Forest Service
• IFS - Zoology (Paper 1 & Paper 2) (English) (Paperback)
• UPSC-IFS Exam Botany Guide Including (Paper 1 and 2) (English) (Paperback)
• IFS India Forest Service Main Examination Agriculture (Paper 1 and 2) (English) (Paperback)
• An Introduction to Probability Theory & Mathematical Statistics -V K Rohtagi
11th October 2015, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: What is the job of Indian Foreign Service Officer? What is the syllabus and which are the scoring subjects?

Sir, I am studying english honours 2nd year and wanted to be an ifs officer but I have no idea of how to prepare myself for this examination.how can I start my preparation abd which books should I have to follow to score high??
2nd March 2016, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

What is the job of Indian Foreign Service Officer?
What is the syllabus and which are the scoring subjects?

What job does Indian foreign service man do?
I am doing B.A Political Science 1st year. So what is syllabus for IFS and which subjects should i take to score more?
Are there any special books that i should refer to study?
19th April 2016, 09:23 PM
Unregistered

how to start for preparation of IFS exams if I am now in 2nd degree of B.Com., tax group
3rd March 2018, 05:06 AM
Unregistered

I'm doing BBA (BACHELOR OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT), which would be the best job for me after completing my degree?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?