26th November 2016, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

Which subject to choose in graduation to become an IAS officer?

I took science so what I shall take subject for graduation to become an IAS officer in future? Can you please provide me the details on this? It will be helpful if you can guide me with the answer soon as possible. Awaiting for the response.

30th November 2016, 07:03 PM
Career Expert
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which subject to choose in graduation to become an IAS officer?

If you are interested to become an IAS officer then, you have to pursue your higher studies in Bachelor's degree courses like B.E, B.Tech, BBA, BCA, B.Sc., B.A., etc., of your interest after completion of your 12th standard with Science stream from a Government recognised board.

It is not mandatory to choose any particular subject in Graduation to become an IAS officer. You can opt for any stream of your interest in Graduation and after completion of your Graduation from a Government recognised university, you can apply for IAS examination.
30th November 2016, 07:34 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

As far as eligibility criteria is concerned, there is no requirement of specialized degree for IAS exam. You can opt for any subject for completion of degree because it is just a qualification to make you eligible for such exams.

It will be good, if you choose a subject which has good scope in private job sector. It will help you to get a decent job, in case you don't succeed in becoming an IAS officer.
30th November 2016, 08:28 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Service and for the selection as an I.A.S officer candidates have to appear and qualify in Civil Service examination.

The examination is conducted by UPSC and the eligibility to appear for examination is that candidate must have passed bachelor degree from a recognised university.

The candidates are eligible to pursue any discipline in bachelor degree. So, you can pursue course of your choice but have to qualify in Preliminary, Mains and Interview stages of examination for final selection.

For selection in all the stages you need better preparation and for that you need to do smart study.
30th November 2016, 09:13 PM
Khurit
Senior Member+

To become an IAS there is no particular subjects.You can opt for any subject.When you apply for an IAS exam then for the preliminary test you will not get any choice, but for the main exam you will get the optional subjects to chose.So,whatever subjects you will study in graduation can opt for the same.
30th November 2016, 09:37 PM
pruthvi12dba

To become an IAS Officer you can study any graduation but my suggestion is B.Sc Computer Science.

* This course is more suitable for your career.
* To crack IAS entrance exam you need to do more hard work on your subjects.
* And these are the books to prepare for IAS Exam.

Books for preparation :

* Indian polity by Laxmikanth
* Geography of India by Majid Husain
* Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
* A brief history of modern India by spectrum
* General Studies Based on NCERT Syllabus
* Certificate Physical and Human Geography
30th November 2016, 09:55 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

The eligibility to appear for Civil Service examination is :-

Candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline from a recognised university.

Candidate's age must be between 21-32 years.

So, you can select any course in the bachelor degree if you want to appear for Civil Service examination which is conducted for recruitment as an I.A.S Officer.

But, it will be best for you to select the course in which you have more knowledge and interest so that it may be helpful if you can opt it as an optional paper for Mains.
30th November 2016, 10:30 PM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

Best subject to choose in Graduation to become an IAS Officer:

There is no such specific stream as a basic requirement. The minimum educational qualification required to be eligible for becoming an IAS officer is as follows.

>> In order to become an IAS officer, the minimum qualification required to be eligible is "Bachelor Degree" or a Graduation from a recognized university.

>> As there is no specific discipline is required, I suggest you to go with the course in which you are very good interested.

>> There are several streams namely, Science, Commerce and Arts. Besides these courses, you may also get into B.E/ B.Tech (Engineering).

>> As far as my best knowledge is concerned B.A (Arts) course with the interested specialization is recommended.
30th November 2016, 11:53 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

The required eligibility to appear for I.A.S recruitment examination ( Civil Service Examination) is candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline. The age limit is 21-32 years with relaxation in upper age limit for reserved category.

The candidates are eligible to select the optional paper for mains stage other than the discipline paper.

So, you can select any stream for pursuing the bachelor degree. As examination is conducted by UPSC for any query visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
1st December 2016, 12:10 AM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

You can pursue bachelor's degree in science stream in any subject like Physics, Chemistry or Biology etc. Second option for you is to apply for engineering entrance examination and pursue bachelor's degree in engineering. You can select your bachelor's degree subject as your optional subject so that you can do well in mains exam.

Candidates are free to select any subject as optional subject in Civil Services mains examination. The age limit is 21-32 years. You must start your preparation for this exam from second year of bachelor's degree so that you can complete your syllabus on time.
1st December 2016, 12:46 AM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services.

Eligibility criteria for Civil Services exam:

*Bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

*Age limit is 21-32 years.

UPSC mention that candidates from any discipline can apply for this exam. So, you can select any subject of your choice and interest in this exam. Select according to interest for better understanding of subject.
1st December 2016, 01:20 AM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Although there are many courses available in Graduation it is highly recommended to go with the course you are mostly interested in. Yes, you are the person to choose which is suitable to you in Graduation. As there are many streams available in Graduation, each one of the courses has it's own specializations and career Opportunities. There are traditional courses namely B.A (Arts), B.Com (Commerce) and B.Sc (Science) based courses. Besides these, there are other courses called Professional courses. You may go with B.E/ B.Tech from a recognized University. If you are really interested in core subjects, I would strongly suggest you to go with Traditional courses and preferably Bachelor of Arts course.
1st December 2016, 12:01 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I took science so what I shall take subject for graduation to become an IAS officer in future? Can you please provide me the details on this? It will be helpful if you can guide me with the answer soon as possible. Awaiting for the response.
After completion of 12th standard in Arts, you can choose History subject for bachelor degree to become IAS officer. This subject is scoring subject and many question are coming from this subject.

Those candidates who have completed graduation degree from a recognized University are eligible for IAS exam.

Age criteria :-

Your age should be in between 21 to 32 years.

Age relaxation:-

5 years relaxation for SC/ST candidates
3 years relaxation for OBC Candidates
10 years relaxation for PHC candidates
5 years relaxation for Ex-serviceman

Attempt limit:-

For General: 5
For OBC: 9
For SC/ST: No Restriction
22nd February 2019, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

if anyone fails in their medical test exam of IAS then ,he/she can be select in the IAS services or not?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?