22nd October 2015, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

Is there any curriculum of RBI in Fixed and Floating Interest rates for Nationalized Banks?

Dear Sir,
I am Harsh and I have taken education loan of Rs.17.5 Lacs for my son to study in Abroad from Indian Bank. At the time of signing the documents we were asked for Fixed Rate or Floating Rate options. We had opted for fixed rate option. Now the interest rates have gone higher and the bank wants us to pay interest at a higher rate saying that the option for a fixed rate was never available with the bank. Please advise what we should do under the circumstances. Is there any RBI circular regarding charging of interest at Fixed or Floating rates to the nationalized banks. Please advise.

Related Questions:
  1. Why I have to repay with higher interest rate if opted for Fixed rate to study in Abroad through Education Loan provided by Indian Bank? Is there any Norms of RBI related to Fixed/Floating Interest Rates for Nationalized Banks?
  2. Which one should I choose among Fixed and Floating Interest Rates in Bank Education Loan? -- [New]
  3. Which Bank offer cheapest Interest rates against Education Loan of Rs. 15 Lacs? Which is among Floating and Fixed interest rates better if want to repay before 1 year completing of education?
  4. Which Bank offered cheapest Interest rates against Education Loan of Rs. 15 Lacs? Which is among Floating and Fixed interest rates better if want to repay before 1 year completing of education?
  5. Where should I go for Education Loan to study MBBS among Private Bank and Public Bank?
  6. Private and Nationalized Banks offering Education Loan at low interest rates to study B.Tech in USA/UK/Australia?
  7. Interest rates of all Banks are same to study in UK?
  8. Eligibility criteria for seeking an Educational Loan? How to apply for the loan? -- [Most Discussed]
  9. Interest rates set by RBI for Education Loan?
  10. List of Banks which offer Education Loan to study MBA in India at cheapest Interest Rates?
  11. List of Banks which offer Education Loan at low interest rates to study B.Tech in Germany?
  12. Whether Private Banks charge higher interest rates than Public banks against Education Loan?
  13. Interest rates charges against Education Loan in State Bank of India for a candidate who want to study B.Tech in IIT?
  14. Documents required to apply for Bank Education Loan of Rs. 16.5 Lacs to study MBA in Abroad?
  15. List of Banks which has good interest rates and processing schemes to apply for Education Loan to study MBA in US?
  16. List of Banks which offer Education Loan at low interest rates to study B.Tech in USA, Australia and UK?
  17. Required age limit for the position of Bank PO for the candidates of General category?
  18. List of Banks which offer Education Loan of Rs. 7 Lacs to study M.Pharmacy course? Interest rates charge against Education Loan?
31st October 2015, 08:42 PM
ArunavaBasu
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Is there any curriculum of RBI in Fixed and Floating Interest rates for Nationalized Banks?

If you have opted for a fixed rate then you must not pay a higher interest rate.
The fixed rate itself is higher and if the Bank insists you to pay the higher interest rate then you must put forward the original loan sanction papers.
If it is written that you were to pay Floating there then you will have to pay Floating rates and if it is written then you have to pay the fixed rate.
So check the agreement and loan sanction papers and whatever is written there will be followed.
If the Bank still troubles you make sure you contact Consumer Forum as quickly as possible.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?