8th January 2011, 11:27 AM
rajeshganesan

Difference between IES and Engineering Service Examination? Am I eligible for both the exams? Can I buy 2 separate forms for both the exams?

I bought UPSC form from Post office for Rs-20/-. The instruction given in that form is there is separate columns are given for the Candidates who applying for Indian Engineering Service and Engineering Service Examination. I am a B.E.Mechanical Engineering student. I want to know that if I am eligible for both IES and Engg.Service Exam or any one of the exam. Please help me to apply for the exam. Can I buy two separate form for Both the Exams? Waiting for reply!

28th July 2011, 01:50 PM
sumitkumarsharma
Senior Member+

Wink Re: Difference between IES and Engineering Service Examination? Am I eligible for both the exams? Can I buy 2 separate forms for both the exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshganesan View Post
I bought UPSC form from Post office for Rs-20/-. The instruction given in that form is there is separate columns are given for the Candidates who applying for Indian Engineering Service and Engineering Service Examination. I am a B.E.Mechanical Engineering student. I want to know that if I am eligible for both IES and Engg.Service Exam or any one of the exam. Please help me to apply for the exam. Can I buy two separate form for Both the Exams? Waiting for reply!
Dear friend don't take tension because both have same exam only name is different............

IES exam is going on the name of ENGINEERING SERVICE EXAMINATION.........

That's why don't take tension and please fill-up the form for both have same.......

This decision is not taken but in the form this is given then you can tick on both.........

Because this change name off IES EXAM............

New name is ENGINEERING SERVICE EXAMINATION..........

And both have same criteria...............
28th July 2011, 11:26 PM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Difference between IES and Engineering Service Examination? Am I eligible for both the exams? Can I buy 2 separate forms for both the exams?

Quote:
Firstly, I have to Inform You that There is No Such Difference Between IES and Engineering Service Examination because both These examination are same. The Engineering Services Examination is conducted by the UPSC, every year for the recruitment to the four categories of engineering services - Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Electronics & telecommunication Engineering.

And Any Engineering Graduate Candidates are eligible to apply for This examination, So If you have completed your Engineering Degree in any discipline from a recognised University Then you are eligible to apply for IES Examination, there is no Minimum Percentage eligibility Criteria to apply for this examination.

So, Please dont worry Because both these examination are same and Engineering Services examination are also called Indian Engineering Service Examination.

To apply for This examination You must have fulfill the given eligibility Criteria -

>> You Must Have possessing a degree in Engineering in any discipline is eligible for taking Engineering Service Examination.

>> Candidates having M.Sc Degree in Wireless Communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering are eligible for certain Services or posts.

>> Your age should between 21 to 30 years.

>> Final Year Graduate engineering Candidates are also apply for this examination.

Upper age relaxation is applicable for SC, ST, OBC and Other Reserved Category Candidates. The Notification of IES Examination was Published in the employment Newspaper OR in the UPSC Official website in the month of January and the examination was held in May Every year, Eligible Candidates may Obtained the Application form from the designated Post Offices and Also Apply Online.

And If you want to get More about IES Examination then please Visit the UPSC website OR Read the Given Notification Completely -

http://upsc.gov.in
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engg2011_ENG.pdf(143.4 KB, 618 views)
28th July 2011, 11:59 PM
kumar96
Senior Member+

Default Re: Difference between IES and Engineering Service Examination? Am I eligible for both the exams? Can I buy 2 separate forms for both the exams?

Both IES and Engineering Service Examination examination are same there is not any difference in these exams. UPSC conducts Engineering Services Examination every year for the recruitment of these categories of engineering services -
Civil Engineering,
Mechanical Engineering,
Electrical Engineering
Electronics & telecommunication Engineering.
UPSC conducts entrance exam for the requirement of these category of engineering student.

You have not to fill separate form for IES and Engineering Service Examination because both are same.any graduate student can apply for IES exam.if you are Graduate then you can apply for IES entrance exam.

eligibility Criteria for IES exam -

You Must Have Graduation in any discipline.

M.Sc Degree in Wireless Communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering are eligible for certain Services or posts.

age should between 21 to 30 years.

You can also apply in Final Year of your Graduate.Final year engineering Candidates are also apply for this examination.

For More information about IES Examination please Visit the UPSC website all information is provided on this website.when notification released it will be displayed on this website -

http://upsc.gov.in
29th July 2011, 01:08 AM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

hi...as my friends in this forum have already made it very clear that both the exams are the same and also that there is no difference between the exams and various other details regarding this particular exam i would like to help you in preperation of the exam,as you have already mentioned that you are an mechanical engineering firstly i will give you the names of the books which you need to follow for preperation of this exam:
1.operation research:kanthi swaroop
2.engineering thermodynamics,k nag
3.strenght of materials:ramamrutham
4.indutrial engineering.p khanna
5.production engineering: a.m malik
6.material science:i p singh
7.machine design: v.b bhandari
8.mechanical vibration:grover
9.theory of machines: rs khurmi
10.fluid machinary:rk bhansal
11.heat and mass transfer :sachdeva
12.fluid mechanics:modi and seth
13.i.c engines:ml mathur
apart from these books you should also follow the materials of the made easy for solving the problems because the problems in those books are really good and help ful
29th July 2011, 08:20 AM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

hi dear

Both are same
so you move to fill up one form
IES and engineering service two are the name of IES.

So do not worry fill up inn one form.............
29th July 2011, 10:55 AM
venkataprakash.v
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Your confused.....Both are same.

IES i.e Indian Engineering Service Examination.

For this examination,the applicants must have a graduate degree in engineering from recognized board or equivalent qualification and Engineering degree in

Engineering degree in :-
  • Mechanical
  • Civil
  • Electronics
  • Electrical and Communication.

The Engineering entrance examination was conducted by UPSC every year.

Eligibility Criteria for this examination :-
  • Graduation in Engineering from any recognized board.
  • The applicants age should between 21 years to 30 years.
  • Relaxation is given to the various reserved categories.
  • Candidates who are appearing in the final year of examination may also eligible.
So,According to the eligibility criteria you are eligible for this examination.

More details,visit the official website : www.upsc.gov.in
29th July 2011, 09:13 PM
kunjeyan5282

Dear friend don't take tension because both have same exam only name is different............

That's why don't take tension and please fill-up the form for both have same.......

This decision is not taken but in the form this is given then you can tick on both.........

4th November 2011, 08:39 AM
Unregistered

If both IES and Eng. Service Exam are the same, then WHY DO THEY have 2 different months in which to take the exam?!? Go to the UPSC website and you will see in the EXAM TIMETABLE = Eng. Service exam is June 2012 and IES Exam in Dec. 2012
16th December 2011, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

refer some books for ies ece
19th February 2012, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

i think in the new naming format ies means indian economic service and indian engineering service is renamed as engineering services examination
29th April 2012, 12:50 AM
mithu ashi
Member+

THERE TWO EXAMINATIONS ARE QUITE DIFFERENT.
BUT BOTH THESE EXAMS ARE CONDUCTED BY U.P.S.C.

FIRST ONE IS INDIAN ENGINEERING SERVICE.
ENGINEERING SERVICE EXAM IS ONLY FOR ENGINEERING GRADUATE DEGREE HOLDER.

SECOND ONE IS INDIAN ECONOMIC/STATISTICAL SERVICE EXAMINATION.
SECOND EXAM IS FOR MASTER DEGREE HOLDER IN STATISTICAL / ECONOMICS SUBJECTS.

ELIGIBILITY FOR ENGINEERING SERVICE:-

-- Your age should not be less than 21 years & should not be more than 30 years
-- The Upper age limit is relaxed to SC,ST & O.B.C. candidates.
-- For SC/ST candidates 5 years of age relaxation is available. i.e. age limit is 21-35 years
-- For O.B.C candidates 3 years of age relaxation is given i.e. age limit is 21-33 years
You must have completed your engineering with following streams.
--Civil Engineering
--Electrical Engineering
--Mechanical engineering.
--Electronics and Communication Engineering

You must be physically fit for applying for the post.
You must be Indian citizen.
-- 4 number of attempts for open category.
-- 7 attempts for O.B.C(Other Backward Class).
-- Unlimited attempts for SC/ST candidates.

ELIGIBILITY FOR INDIAN ECONOMIC/STATISTICAL SERVICE EXAM:-
--Candidate must be a post graduate degree holder in Economics/ Business Economics / Econometric / Applied Economics.
--Candidate must be a master degree holder in Statistics / Applied Statistics / Mathematical Statistics to apply in Indian Statistical Exam.
--Age limit is 21 years to 30 years.

IMPORTANT DATES:-

ENGINEERING SERVICE EXAM
Date of notification:-10.03.2012
Last date for form submission:-09.04.2012
Date of exam:-15.06.2012

INDIAN ECONOMIC/STATISTICAL SERVICE EXAMINATION
Date of notification:-18.08.2012
Last date for form submission:-17.09.2012
Date of exam:-01.12.2012
17th January 2014, 08:57 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Difference between IES and Engineering Service Examination? Am I eligible for both the exams? Can I buy 2 separate forms for both the exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkumarsharma View Post

Then why the date of both examinations is different, if you don't believe then go and check out in upsc.gov.in.................
28th February 2014, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

everybody saying that" I have to Inform You that There is No Such Difference Between IES and Engineering Service Examination because both These examination are same. The Engineering Services Examination is conducted by the UPSC, every year for the recruitment to the four categories of engineering services."
then why they are given different dates for this exams if they are same
7th March 2015, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

everybody saying that" There is No Such Difference Between IES
and Engineering Service Examination because
both These examination are same. The
Engineering Services Examination is conducted
by the UPSC, every year for the recruitment to
the four categories of engineering services."
then why they are given different dates for this
exams if they are same
8th March 2015, 10:17 PM
neetatripathi

Before you buy two different forms first have a look:

IES name as indian engineering services
is same as ES ie also indian engineering services as we are in india therefore work for our nation only therefore ignoring india people say in short ES exam

Eligibilty for IES or ES exam

firstly you have to be graduated in any stream of BE or B.tech which is course of duration 4 yrs.but you should prepare from 2nd year only to have good marks
and good rank in one shot and also foolow previous years papers before preperation ok

all the best
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?