13th December 2012, 12:00 AM
shivam0009

Am i eligible for PU, IES and GATE exam after doing mechanical engineering with 55%

hi, i done my engg from mech and got 55%. Am i eligible for psu, ies and gate exams or not? How many times i can appear in these exams?

13th December 2012, 12:32 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am i eligible for PU, IES and GATE exam after doing mechanical engineering with 55%

Okay lets start one by one. I think it would be difficult for you to get PSU job. Public Sector Undertakings to accept mechanical engineering graduates but I am afraid your percentage is little below the required level.

PSU basically are companies where govt of India controlls at least 51 percent stakes. There are over 250 PSUs in the countries. The criteria for offering admission is almost the same for each company.

Eligibility

1. B.Tech degree from a recognized university.

2. At least 60 percent marks in Engineering.

3. There is some relaxation for reserve category.

4. There should be no pending backlogs.

5. A valid GATE score is required.

6. The age limit is 21 to 30 years.

7. Age limit for OBC is relaxed by 3 years and 5 years for SC/ST.

Since your percentage is below 60 percent. I am afraid you may not get job in the Public Sector Undertaking.

However same can't be said for Indian Engineering Service (IES). You are eligible for appearing in this exam. IES is conducted to recruit engineers for various posts in central government departments.

These are reputed jobs which is why, thousands of Engineers apply for IES entrance exam. Being a mechanical engineer, you are eligible for the entrance exam.

Eligibility

1. Only Indian citizens can apply for IES.

2. Your age should be 21 to 30 years.

3. There is 3 years relaxation for OBC.

4. SC/ST candidates are eligible for 5 years relaxation.

5. B.Tech degree in Mechanical Engineering would be enough to apply.

6. There is no percentage criteria.

Therefore the bottom line is that you are eligible for Indian Engineering Service. If interested start preparations as soon as possible.

GATE

You are also eligible for GATE entrance exam. GATE is conducted for admission in M.Tech. However B.Tech graduates should appear for it either way. Several companies which includes PSUs, give preference to the candidates who have GATE score.

Therefore it would be recommended that you appear for GATE entrance exam. All you need is B.Tech degree to appear for it.
13th December 2012, 02:04 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am i eligible for PU, IES and GATE exam after doing mechanical engineering with 55%

You are eligible to apply for GATE and IES but for PSU you have to be GATE qualified.

For GATE one must have following qualifications:

-Graduate in Engineering or Equivalent from a recognised university. Final year students can also apply if they expect their result in time.

-Those who have done Master in Science or mathematics or computer application are also eligible to apply for GATE.

Those who qualify GATE can apply for PSUs like GAIL, BHEL , SAIL, NTPC etc.

PSUs recruits only GATE qualified hence qualifying GATE is necessary if you want to join PSUs.

For IES exam you should have following qualifications:

-Graduate in Engineering in Discipline like Mechanical or Civil or Electrical or Electronics and Communication.

-Age must be between 21 to 30 years if you are general category.

-There is age relaxation available for SC/ST , OBC, PWD and Ex Servicemen.

So you can apply for IES exam which is conducted by UPSC . For more information visit http://www.upsc.gov.in
13th December 2012, 11:08 PM
ibadsyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam0009 View Post
hi, i done my engg from mech and got 55%. Am i eligible for psu, ies and gate exams or not? How many times i can appear in these exams?
Hi,IES (Indian Engineering Service) is an all India service for Engineers to be eligible for Govt. jobs like Railways, PWD, Water Board, etc.

The eligibility criteria for this exam is you must have a pass class in your Engineering degree. There is not criteria for minimum marks. As long as you satisfy the criteria you are eligible for the exam.

Exam is conducted every year in the month of June and then interviews are conducted in Jan next year. A merit list is prepared and based on that, departments are alloted.

GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an exam conducted by IITs for admission into ME/M.tech programme. The eligibility criteria for this exam is you must have atleast 50% in your Engineering degree.
As long as you satisfy this criteria, you are eligible for this exam.

Kindly keep track for the notifications about the exams in the leading newspapers.
20th December 2012, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Can i apply to 3 or 4 psu companies with my gate 2013 regester numb ?????
16th March 2013, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

My clas 12 percentage is 50 m i eligible for gate and ies and psu's exam
8th May 2014, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

i have done my b.tech from aeronautical engg. am i eligible for psu through gate for mechanical engineer. if i qualify gate with mechanical engg.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?