17th June 2011, 10:50 PM
Pruthwi kanta Biswal

How an engineering 1st year student can prepare for IES exam?

please tell me how to get started to be an ies from the begining . I am a 1st year engg student.

Related Questions:
  1. How may I prepare for the IES exam? I am first year BE student having ECE stream
  2. How to prepare for IES exam?
  3. From which year of B.Tech should I start preparing for IES exam?
  4. Which books are to be referred to prepare for IES exam for mechanical engineering?
  5. Syllabus for IES Exam? Which books to prepare for this Exam? How to prepare for this Exam?
  6. How to crack IES exam if I am a student of electronics and telecommunication engineering
  7. How may I prepare for the IES exam? I am pursuing BE(first year) with mechanical stream from MMM engineering college, Gorakhpur
  8. Guidance to prepare for IAS and IES Exams being a candidate pursuing 2nd year of BE in Civil Engineering? Previous 10 year Question Papers for these Exams?
  9. How can I prepare for IES in civil branch?
  10. How to prepare for IES exam? What is the eligibility criteria for IES exam? Am I eligible for IES exam pursuing my 1st year B.Tech? -- [Most Discussed]
  11. Full information about IES exam including syllabus? How to prepare for IES? I am a 3rd year civil student
  12. How to prepare for IES Exam being a candidate of pursuing 3rd year of Mechanical Engineering? Will there be any Coaching centers for this Exam in Chandigarh?
  13. Final year computer engineering student can join IES 2016? -- [New]
  14. Which books are best for IES exam for mechanical engineering
  15. How can I prepare for IES exam? What is the procedure for this exam?
  16. How should I prepare for IES? Which books to prefer? I am a student of electronics and telecommunication engineering
  17. Which are the best subjects for Civil service exam? How to prepare from 1st year
  18. When will be the right time for me to start taking coaching for IES or GATE Exams being a candidate of 1st semester of B.Tech?
18th June 2011, 07:54 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How an engineering 1st year student can prepare for IES exam?

If you wish to clear the IES exam you need to be well focused and follow a meticulous approach. Begin with making a list of areas to be covered. Cover each and every topic. Keep sufficient time for revision. Also download the previous year papers to know the type of questions asked.
18th June 2011, 12:06 PM
kartavya99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruthwi kanta Biswal View Post
please tell me how to get started to be an ies from the begining . I am a 1st year engg student.
you should prefer only standard books and also have knowledge of general apttitude.
18th June 2011, 02:52 PM
KARPAGAM NITHIYANANTHAM

hi friend,
first of all i wish you all the best...the preparation from the base only helps you to win at the end for all the UPSC exams,so you just start preparing.
preparation process:just start studying your subjects thoroughly and then general knowledge also read news paper.mostly the person who are all strong in their field of chosen subject is winning the exam... later after you reach final year apply for exam.if you follow these procedure i m sure you'll succeeded in the exam

all the best
18th June 2011, 04:02 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

It's good to plan for exams like IES from now itself.GATE and IES are similar to each other since both are related to the core subjects of your Engineering but the only change is that students of selective branches like Civil,Electrical,Mechanical,Electronics and Tele Communication are allowed to go through the IES exam.

Since your a first year student hence you will basically go through the fundamentals i.e for example if your an Electrical student then Electrical Circuit Analysis will be one of the first subjects that you learn.First go through the syllabus and then decide where to start your preparation.IES syllabus consists of only core subjects of your branch.After going though the syllabus start your preparation by following standard books.There are even guides and other such material available in the market for IES exam but it will be better that you prefer separate books for separate subjects rather than just following guides and other materials.

As a first year student all you need to do is learn the fundamentals in a better manner.Without the fundamentals other subjects will be tough to learn.
18th June 2011, 04:48 PM
sarawgi.ankit

Location: District & session court Dindori disst. Dindori (MP)
Thumbs up Re: How an engineering 1st year student can prepare for IES exam?

Quote:
it is a good idea for getting ur dream if u want to prepration for IES with ur engineering study than it is a good idea........
.>> first of all check the syllabus of IES Exam ......
.>> In IES exam syllabus have only core subject of engineering than study well of that subject
.>> if you do prepration yearly subject by subject than you alaso score more mark in engineering subject as well as u are also preprae for those subject for IES.
.>> when you will be on 2nd , 3rd n 4th year you got more technical subject related to your branch so give more time on those year.
.>> now clear the basic fundamental subject n syllabus , do planning how to study year by yaer .
.>> dont be forgat to revise previous year subject.
etc
18th June 2011, 05:16 PM
foreturner
Senior Member+

hey its too early to start for IES

IES syllabus includes questions from your engineering

course, in first year you can not do much, an ideal IES

preparation starts with revision of required papers.

hence my suggestion is that you concentrate on studying the engineering

properly and in addition strengthen your english.

for future.

read some magazines like csr and chronicle

they provide good information about the IES etc conducted by

UPSC
18th June 2011, 08:31 PM
rajatisrajat

Well, its very good to see such foresighted plans. First of all, one should spend maximum time to the courses being studied at college as they are the heart of the IES\GATE examinations. So, what is important is to orient your college curriculum studies according to the needs of the competitive exam. Since you are a first year student so you have a minimum of 3 years for the IES exams. No doubt, an extra amount of hard-work and research is needed but it will be worth your while.
You may definitely refer to branch\subject specific books in your college libraries or buy them from the markets but take care the time spent on them is not at the cost of your performance in college. Good Luck!
18th June 2011, 11:19 PM
venkatgct

Quote:
friend,

<<<<GOOD START EARNS GOOD RESULTS>>>>

steps to do from now on:

1. understand all the concepts in the class well and view them from the subjective point of view.

2. follow standard books lik
R.S.KHURMI,
R.K.BANSAL,
J.K.GUPTA,
R.K.JAIN,
P.K.NAG

for all ur subjects...this will improve ur understanding.

3. start the mock test by third year itself.

4. u r eligible to appear in the IES exam during the final year of ur study.

regards
19th June 2011, 12:11 AM
agrawal1288

Quote:
One should join any correspondence course of any well reputed institute of IES preparation. He can practice sample papers on internet.These methods will help in securing good rank.......
19th June 2011, 08:50 AM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

Hi
for preparation for ias
i recommend you for preparation
aptitute-r.s.agrawalla
you did not mention your subject

* but i say that in this exam some patience will require for crack this.......

*concept clear all these things
that is help full to you in exam..............
19th June 2011, 11:21 AM
tiwari ayush

u shold keep u r basics clear and have good cnceptual knowledge of the subject and the topics within it.
19th June 2011, 11:30 PM
Snehamay ganguly
Senior Member+++++

dear friend,
see, as you are now in 1st year, so i think there is long time to prepare yourself for the IES exam... you have not mentioned that from which branch you are.. if you are from core branch like - electrical,mechanical,civil,electronics then to prepare for IES you have to make your base strong.... you have to clear your concept... it is good that you are thinking of it from the 1st year... so read properly, take preparation..
i think you will definitely crack the IES exam at the first attempt..
all the very best..
20th July 2011, 03:03 PM
abhi789
Banned

you should have deep knowledge of your engineering field and consult some good books and teachers.
18th November 2011, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

I am a 3rd year mechanial engineering student. I want join in ies exam . What can i do?
19th November 2011, 09:40 AM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Hi.

IES stands for the Indian Engineering Services and its one of the toughest exams in India. An engineering student needs to crack IES in order to get government jobs related to the field of Engineering in India.

Eligibility criteria for IES examination :

1. A candidate should be a minimum graduate in B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch from a recognized university or board college.

2. He/She should have score atleast 60% aggregate in the graduation.

3. The age limit for IES is as follows :

a) 21-30 years for GENERAL category
b) 21-33 years for OBC category
c) 21-35 years for SC/ST category

4. A general candidate can take upto 4 attempts, where as an OBC can take upto 7 attempts but SC/ST have no limits to the no. of attempts they take.

So, first of all IES is 3 years far from you as of now. It would be best to start your preparation right in the 1st year itself, but see that you maintain your momentum all through.

Go with the course that is taught to you in college, and then in your free time or time allotted for IES preparation, look through other IES specific books for those same topics which were taught to you.

Develop an understanding of the subject. The knowledge matters a lot in such entrance examinations.

Since you have not giving which stream you are from, I am unable to provide you with the names of books.
However for any information regarding IES, notes, books, Important dates, you can CLICK HERE

All the best with your preparation.

Regards
#RJ#
14th March 2012, 05:33 PM
kaveribiswas

It's good to plan for exams like IES from now itself.GATE and IES are similar to each other since both are related to the core subjects of your Engineering but the only change is that students of selective branches like Civil,Electrical,Mechanical,Electronics and Tele Communication are allowed to go through the IES exam.

Since your a first year student hence you will basically go through the fundamentals i.e for example if your an Electrical student then Electrical Circuit Analysis will be one of the first subjects that you learn.First go through the syllabus and then decide where to start your preparation.IES syllabus consists of only core subjects of your branch.After going though the syllabus start your preparation by following standard books.There are even guides and other such material available in the market for IES exam but it will be better that you prefer separate books for separate subjects rather than just following guides and other materials.

Good luck.................
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?