26th July 2013, 11:36 PM
Naag Nagarjuna.Jampala

How to explain a year gap in education?

I had 1 year gap between Graduation and MBA, 1 year after MBA (i have 2 backlogs in 2nd sem and 1 backlog in 4th sem in MBA). I am very confused how to tackle this question if Interviewer asks me about my gap.
I am feeling very low for this. Please help.

10th-2004-71%

12th-2006-59%(commerce)

B com-2009-58%

MBA-2012-68%(finance)

Related Questions:
  1. List of Companies(preferably I.T) which considers more than 2 years gap in education for job?
  2. Whether 2 years gap in academics will create any issue if cleared HCL and IBM interviews? -- [New]
  3. Will it cause any problems if we have any Backlogs in B.Tech?
  4. Can a 10th passed student do B.Com?
  5. Jobs difficulty after having 1 year gap after 10th and 2 years gap after 12th?
  6. Is my case considered as academic gap? Does the time taken to complete arrears is taken as academic gap?
  7. List of jobs I can apply for? I've done B.Sc, B.Ed and M.C.A(with 3 back logs) and I'm having education gap after B.Ed
  8. Will I be eligible for a job in a good company after having 7 years of gap in education
  9. Is it fine to take 1 year gap for GATE coaching? Is it true that some companies do not select students with gaps? List of GATE coaching classes in India?
  10. Can I get a job after 1 year gap after 12th, 2 years gap after UG and 2 years gap after PG?
  11. Can I get a job if I have 1 year Gap after 12th, 2 years gap after UG and 2 years gap after MBA(HR)?
  12. Can I give Physics exam after 2 years gap?
  13. Will the gap in Education effect my Placements after completion of CS course being a candidate having done Graduation in 2006?
  14. Will 7 year gap in education and in experience hinder my job seeking? will MS degree help me start my career?
  15. Madurai Kamaraj University BCA- 2nd Year Computer Graphics Exam – Download Previous Year’s Question Papers
  16. How to tackle the questions if the interviewer asks me about my gap?
  17. I have 3 Gap Years, will I still be eligible for Placements? -- [Most Discussed]
  18. Career in IT companies after 2 years gap and less than 50% marks in 12th?
30th July 2013, 07:04 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: How to explain a year gap in education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naag Nagarjuna.Jampala View Post
I had 1 year gap between Graduation and MBA, 1 year after MBA (i have 2 backlogs in 2nd sem and 1 backlog in 4th sem in MBA). I am very confused how to tackle this question if Interviewer asks me about my gap.
I am feeling very low for this. Please help.

10th-2004-71%

12th-2006-59%(commerce)

B com-2009-58%

MBA-2012-68%(finance)
That's quite natural feeling to get depressed by seeing your negatives over and over. Which will in return bring you only more pain and depression. Instead what my suggestion is to look for positives in you.

A MBA graduate is tested for his :-

>Attitude
>Communication skills
>Convincing skills
>Tact

Forget about your past backlogs and gap that you have and whatever that is bothering you try and concentrate on what can be improved or what can be sharpened. Its just an interview for a position in a company. Not top of the world or top of everything.

Right approach towards interview is being confident, admitting any mistakes of yours if required and honestly exhibiting your attitude in a positive notion. That is how one can crack any interview be it MBA or IAS.

If there is any genuine reason for your backlogs or gap say it and make them understand why you have failed and also tell them how good you have scored in their supplementary exams if you did.

You have to ultimately create a positive mood in the interview room. That is your main agenda. No doubt the HRs will be very friendly and try to get the maximum out of you. As they are professionals in doing that never admit any negative of yours. Even if it is a negative thing in your profile make it positive.

For example if they asked why you got a backlog in the last semester of your MBA are you not concerned about your future or anything like that
Your answer must be in framed in a honest yet very diplomatic style. My answer for the above question would be this

Sir, There is a reason for that to happen in my life even though I know it is very important thing for my career. Actually I don't want to get sympathy because of that reason and win in this interview but I can say it is not a difficult subject for me to clear but I got back only because of lack of proper preparation due to unavoidable circumstances (whatever your reason is, can be explained in brief) Note :- your answer should be honest. If you bluff they will easily catch you.

Make your answers ready well before you reach interview. And don't be artificial in answers. Be as natural as possible. They should see confidence all over you to offer position in their company.

Hope you got the gist. Continuous introspection will benefit you to pull out answers from within you.

Regards.
9th October 2014, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: How to explain a year gap in education?

hai sir.
i have a year gap in my education..in my intermediate??what should be the genuine answer to present in the interview??
4th June 2016, 07:40 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: How to explain a year gap in education?

My name is Manohar .Just i have Completed my 10th std. I have scored 97.12% in 10th std. Now i have no interest to do any course or I puc. Because I have no Good Aim.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?