14th January 2013, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible for me to get into civil services after passing Arts?

I have taken ARTS group is it possible for me to get into civil services easily?

15th January 2013, 08:36 AM
dhirajen18
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it possible for me to get into civil services after passing Arts?

Yes, it is possible for me to get in to Civil Services after passing Graduation in Arts.

Civil Service Exam is conducted by UPSC once every year to become IAS/IPS/IRS/IFS etc. officer.

The eligible candidate must be an Indian National having either appear for the final Graduation Degree exam or pass in any stream from a recognised University within the age of 21 to 30 years with upper age relaxation for reserved candidate.

For more information you may log on to http://www.upsc.gov.in
15th January 2013, 09:45 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it possible for me to get into civil services after passing Arts?

It is never easy to clear Civil Service Exam regardless of you are Arts student or Engineering. There are around 300 something vacancies in Indian Police Service and Indian Administrative Service.

The number of candidates applying is more than 10 Lakh therefore it would be a stiff competition. You will have to work hard in order to clear the Civil Service Examination. One thing you should know is that Arts graduate has as much chance of clearing Civil Service Examination as any other graduation degree holder.

Eligibility

1. Must be citizen of India.

2. Bachelor degree in any discipline.

3. There is no percentage criteria.

4. Age limit is 21 to 30 years.

5. There is 3 years relaxation for OBC.

6. SC/ST are given 5 years relaxation.

You need to study hard and well in advance. Starting preparing 1-2 months before the exam is not going to help you out. You should start preparation at least 8-10 months in advance. The Civil Service Examination has two stages.

1) Preliminary Exam

There are two papers in it. First is General Studies for which you should watch a lot of news and be updated with all the latest happening in around the world. NCERT books for Class 12th are also helpful in preparing for General Studies Exam.

You will have to select a optional subject for the second exam. Generally what people do is since the purpose of preliminary exam is to qualify for Main Examination, they choose subjects like Geography or History.

2) Main Examination

The real test will begin in main examination. There are 9 papers in it and their marks would be added into final tally. First two subjects are on language to check your communication skills. For first paper you will have to select a Indian language.

It could be your native language like Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil etc. Second paper would be on English. For that you should prepare in advance on your grammar.

The next paper would be "Essay" You should buy some essay books to prepare for it. Next two would be on General Studies while for the remaining four papers you will have to select 2 optional subjects of your choice.
15th January 2013, 10:48 AM
nitishtrifid

Hello Dear,

don't take any tension dear, as per the criteria of UPSC you are eligible for the IAS exam. there are such type of rule regarding to the specific stream in graduation . all stream candidate are eligible for this exam.

Eligibility criteria for IAS exam is
Candidate should be graduate in any stream.
age of the candidate should be 21 to 30 year.
3 year age relaxation for OBC candidate
5year age relaxation for SC/ST candidate
Nationality should be Indian

Number of Limit
General candidate can attempt 4 times
OBC candidate can attempt 7 times
SC/ST have no restriction till above age limit
16th January 2013, 01:56 PM
Narendra k.
Senior Member+

Exclamation Re: Is it possible for me to get into civil services after passing Arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have taken ARTS group is it possible for me to get into civil services easily?
Yes, it is possible for me to get in to Civil Services after passing Graduation in Arts.

Civil Service Exam is conducted by UPSC once every year to become IAS/IPS/IRS/IFS etc. officer.

The eligible candidate must be an Indian National having either appear for the final Graduation Degree exam or pass in any stream from a recognised University within the age of 21 to 30 years with upper age relaxation for reserved candidate.

For more information you may log on to http://www.upsc.gov.in
17th January 2013, 11:07 PM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend,

It is possible for everyone including you also to appear for Civil Services Exam even if you have passed your Graduation with Arts Stream.

For appearing in Civil Services Exam, you must have done Graduation in any stream from any recognized college.

You can also appear for Civil Services Exam if you are in the Final Year of your Graduation.

Civil Services Exam is divided into three stages i.e.

>> Preliminary Exam

>> Mains Exam

>> Personal Interview

Exam Pattern of Preliminary Exam is:

Exam Pattern of Mains Exam is:

Some of the best books for the preparation of Civil Services Exam are:

General Science for Civil Services Preliminary Examination (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
by Tara Chand, Shabnam Johry, Tanushri Saxena, Renu Kathpalia
Publisher: Tata McGraw Hill Education (2012)
Price: Rs. 241

General Studies for Services Preliminary Examination 2013 (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
by TMH
Price: Rs. 900

Crack Civil Services General Studies IAS Prelims CSAT, Paper - 1 and 2 (Set of 2 Books) (Paperback)
by Disha Experts
Publisher: Disha Publication (2012)
Price: Rs. 821

General Studies for Civil Services Preliminary Examinations (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
Author: Manohar Pandey
Publisher: Arihant (2012)
Price: Rs. 684

Guide To UPSC (IAS) Civil Services Preliminary Exam: General Studies (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
by Gkp
Publisher: G. K. Publications Pvt. Ltd (2011)
Price: Rs. 266

General Studies (For UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam) (Paperback)
by RPH Editorial Board
Publisher: Ramesh Publishing House
Price: Rs. 999

IAS Mains General Studies Chapterwise Solved Papers 2011-1997
by Siddharth Mittal
Price: Rs. 166
27th February 2013, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dear friend,

It is possible for everyone including you also to appear for Civil Services Exam even if you have passed your Graduation with Arts Stream.

For appearing in Civil Services Exam, you must have done Graduation in any stream from any recognized college.

You can also appear for Civil Services Exam if you are in the Final Year of your Graduation.

>> Preliminary Exam

>> Mains Exam

>> Personal Interview

General Science for Civil Services Preliminary Examination (Paper - 1) (Paperback)

General Studies for Services Preliminary Examination 2013 (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
by TMH

Crack Civil Services General Studies IAS Prelims CSAT, Paper - 1 and 2 (Set of 2 Books) (Paperback)
by Disha Experts

General Studies for Civil Services Preliminary Examinations (Paper - 1) (Paperback)

Guide To UPSC (IAS) Civil Services Preliminary Exam: General Studies (Paper - 1) (Paperback)
by Gkp

by RPH Editorial Board

by Siddharth Mittal
16th January 2013 02:56 PM
27th February 2013, 10:53 PM
narendra B.

Quote:
Dear friend,

>> Preliminary Exam

>> Mains Exam

>> Personal Interview

by TMH

by Disha Experts

by Gkp

by RPH Editorial Board

by Siddharth Mittal
16th January 2013 02:56 PM
28th February 2013, 07:55 AM
eduforall
Senior Member+++

Hi,

Yes, you can apply for civil services exam with arts subjects.

Civil Services Exams are conducted by UPSC every year.

You will have to satisfy two basic eligibiliy criteria -

You should be a graduate in any discipline from a recognised university.

your age should be between 21 years to 30 years.

The IAS exam is conducted in three stages -

Preliminary exam or CSAT

Main Exam

Interview.

Exam Pattern -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IAS pattern.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	132240

Click image for larger version

Name:	IAS main subjects list.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	132241

Visit www.upsc.gov.in

28th February 2013, 09:01 AM
sanj69
Senior Member+

There is no mention of any specific stream to be completed through Graduation in order to join Civil Services, hence with Graduation from Arts stream you are eligible for Civil Services but to join this one has to crack Civil Service Exam conducted by UPSC every year.

The eligible candidate wishing to join Civil Services, must be an Indian national having either appear for the final Graduation Degree exam or pass in any stream of education from a recognised University within the age of 21 to 30 years with upper age relaxation for reserved candidate.

For more information one may log on to http://www.upsc.gov.in
28th February 2013, 11:20 PM
end of query
Senior Member+

hi
for applying for the upsc exam, you are eligible if you are a graduate in any stream from a recognized Indian university. There is no criteria for percentage that is required for appearing in the examination.
Gud luck
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?