4th December 2010, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Should an engineer do MBA if he's not interested in Software Industry jobs? Which streams, colleges and universities to prefer?

Hi. I have done by B.E(E.C.E) . Currently I am working in a leading software firm. But I am not interested in the software industry and I would like to change industry. Please guide me whether doing an MBA would serve the purpose. Actually i feel I have lost touch with my electronics as it is more than 2 years i changed my industry. So I guess it would be better for me to go for an MBA. Please guide which branch in MBA I can choose. Also let me know is it worth to do an MBA outside India. If so which country and which University?

Thanks

5th December 2010, 04:17 AM
ramakant sharma

Default Re: Should an engineer do MBA if he's not interested in Software Industry jobs? Which streams, colleges and universities to prefer?

Hello dear yes of course you can do MBA . even BE+ MBA is known as best combination so you can do it . now you want to change your status you may go for MBA in business , MBA in finance, MBA in marketing, MBA technical these are good streams with good output

for universities in India there are IIM,s , XLRI, IIT's, and lots of business schools which are in top hundred apart from listed one

If you want to go abroad than it is also good decision you may go for

1. University of Pennsylvania: Wharton, U.S.A.
2. London Business School, U.K.
3. Harvard Business School, U.S.A.
4. Columbia Business School, U.S.A.
5. Insead, France / Singapore
6. Stanford University GSB, U.S.A
6. IE Business School, Spain
8. Ceibs, China
9. MIT: Sloan, U.S.A.
10. New York University: Stern, U.S.A
11. University of Chicago: Booth, U.S.A
12. Iese Business School, Spain
13. Dartmouth College: Tuck, U.S.A.
14. IMD, Switzerland

all these universities are extreamly good where you may complete your MBA

all the best
5th December 2010, 12:24 PM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Should an engineer do MBA if he's not interested in Software Industry jobs? Which streams, colleges and universities to prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi. I have done by B.E(E.C.E) . Currently I am working in a leading software firm. But I am not interested in the software industry and I would like to change industry. Please guide me whether doing an MBA would serve the purpose. Actually i feel I have lost touch with my electronics as it is more than 2 years i changed my industry. So I guess it would be better for me to go for an MBA. Please guide which branch in MBA I can choose. Also let me know is it worth to do an MBA outside India. If so which country and which University?

Thanks
see since you are telling you feel going away from your field of interest that is electronics and want to do MBA it is good you can do mba in telecom management and various other technical branch but

more technical side of electronics is M.TECH..if you think you are more
5th December 2010, 09:30 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Default Re: Should an engineer do MBA if he's not interested in Software Industry jobs? Which streams, colleges and universities to prefer?

Hi,

You can go ahead with MBA if you are not satisfied with your technical work in the software industry.
You don't have the option of MTech as yoor link with your stream has broken.
You can choose among finance or Marketing in MBA.
You can prepare for CAT and GMAT for getting admissions to the best institutes.
6th December 2010, 01:38 AM
saranarayanan

Yah u can prefer MBA,if u really not interested in software field and have confident to do well in business line....because once u get into the business line u will not able to come into the engineering field...for MBA within india is sufficient fo getting quality education..the institutions like
1)INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (AHMADABAD)
2)INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (KOZHIKODE)
3)INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (BOMBAY)
4)NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (TRICHIRAPALLI)
5)BHARATHIAR INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT
6)VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (VIT)
above are some of key notable institutions providing MBA with international standard..wish u all the best........
6th December 2010, 12:26 PM
RAKESH KUMAR.N
Senior Member+

Hi

*For you best option is CAT exam, do that well and you will get good college if you get good mark

*then Next option is that go for GMAT,GRE for your studies in aboard, Best for doing MBA is London is best for MBA

*If you thing of doing Msc then go for Germany , it is very good for Engineering

*choose is your do the best.
6th December 2010, 06:35 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

hi!

Yes, of course MBA is the best option if you want to change your field.

MBA offers a no. of electives to choose from. You can choose any elective depending upon your interest. An MBA degree will open up ample opportunities for you in diverse field.

Engineering plus management graduates are in great demand these days since MNCs are looking for multi-skill & multi-task candidates.

The best institutes to pursue MBA in india are:
IIMs
IIPM, delhi
XLRI, jamshedpur
BIT, Mesra
symbiosis university, pune
6th December 2010, 07:01 PM
love_star

Location: 128/939 Y Block, Kidwai Nagar, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Thumbs up Re: Should an engineer do MBA if he's not interested in Software Industry jobs? Which streams, colleges and universities to prefer?

this is a very good choice on your part. If you are no longer interested in software company then MBA can do good.it has streams like IB,IT,finance,human resource and marketing. choose according to your interest like if you have good communication skills then go for marketing or human resource stream. for the universities in India IIMs are the best. they take entrance through cat exam .Other universities are FMS-DU,XLRI,symbiosis,amity are the best. for foreign universities you have to give gmat.
some foreign universities are Harvard Business School, U.S.A., Columbia Business School, U.S.A., Insead, France / Singapore, Stanford University GSB, U.S.A, IE Business School, Spain, Ceibs, China, MIT: Sloan, U.S.A., New York University: Stern, U.S.A, NUS singapore
13th January 2011, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Hello,

It is not necessary to do MBA because you want to change the industry ot you are out of touch from ECE etc. The most important criteria is your passion. Are you passionate about innovation and technical work in Electronics and telecom?
What you learned in BE was theory and getting out of that theory does not matter as the ground work that you do in electronics or any industry is vastly different than what you read in engineering books. This is obviously because of the gap between industry and the universities.
If you are passionate about doing technical innovations, you can do another short course in telecom billing or simillar areas and get into industry as a technical expert.
If you are not interested in management, even after doing MBA, you will not be satisfied in the management ladder which involves purely non technical work and talking at 40000 feet level etc.
All the Best!!
Tushar
28th March 2011, 01:07 AM
Mayank Shekhar

Dear,
you can do MBA . even BE+ MBA is known as best combination so you can do it . now you want to change your status you may go for MBA in business , MBA in finance, MBA in marketing, MBA technical these are good streams with good output

for universities in India there are IIM,s , XLRI, IIT's, and lots of business schools which are in top hundred apart from listed one

8. Ceibs, China
14. IMD, Switzerland

all these universities are extreamly good where you may complete your MBA.
Thanks.
All the best.
3rd July 2011, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

I did b.e (E.E.E) .i wan to do mba.. being an E.E.E student which branch can i choose in MBA....pls guide me
3rd July 2011, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

I did my b.e (E.E.E)..i wan to do mba.. being an EEE student which branch can i choose in MBA...
31st August 2011, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

i have completed my BE aeronautical from areputed university ,i was placed through campus interview in one of the IT industry ,i would like to know is it a good decision to go for that job
20th September 2011, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

I am B.E. (mechanical) currently working in an IT company .....I want to do MBA ...Please suggest me suitable stream for MBA.....
14th December 2013, 01:05 AM
Unregistered

Hw to get admitted in?

8. Ceibs, China
14. IMD, Switzerland

all these universities are extreamly good where you may complete your MBA.
Thanks.
All the best.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?