10th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

Respected sir ....
i have completed my +2 and i am about to join a engineering college.my aim is to become an I.A.S officer.so i need your guidence to take further steps.please tell me the best books to prepare for the exam.

10th July 2011, 11:49 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Respected sir ....
i have completed my +2 and i am about to join a engineering college.my aim is to become an I.A.S officer.so i need your guidence to take further steps.please tell me the best books to prepare for the exam.
dear friend,

yes , you are eligible for IAS exam after your graduation.

the IAS exam criteria is given below-

Educational Qualifications for IAS :
Bachelor’s degree of a recognized university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering or an equivalent qualification.

Age limit:
21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing. Maximum 30 for general category, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs.

UPSC IAS EXAM

Apply online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in

Apply offline by purchasing the application form from designated post offices throughout the country.

For complete details go to http://www.upsc.gov.in

thanks
11th July 2011, 12:09 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

Dear Friend

If your ultimate decision is to be an IAS officer then you are seriously going to waste
your coming four years in engineering. Those who aspire for civil services and go for
engineering after 12th do so generally because they think that if they do engineering
they will have a safe future. When they complete engineering they got stuck with
job for some years and during job they start preparing for civils and finally get frustrated.
People who fear from future and result don't pertain the caliber to qualify civil services
examination. So, take this fear out of yourself and focus only on civil services.

If you are a sincere student you will try to study for engineering and civil services as
well during your B.Tech. and thus you will not be studying anything sincerely.

To qualify civil services you would require two year continuous preparation which
you won't be able to manage during engineering.

I would suggest you to go for some B.A./ B.Sc./B.Com. course in the field of your
interest and choose that subject as optional subjects for civil services examination.

You are going to waste four years in B.Tech. If you devote these four years completely
for civil services examination from now on you would surely succeed.

If you are not going to change your decision then;

You should start preparation for General Studies from the first year.
Keep studying for General Studies at least one complete year and then give at least
one hour daily for General Studies in the following years.
For General Studies you should refer NCERT books(above 6th std.) of science and arts
subjects. You an refer any General studies book for civil services(e.g.,TMH publication).
Also the study materials of VAJIRAM & RAVI would be good for G.S. Apart from these
you should read one English and one Hindi Newspaper daily.
Choose that Hindi Newspaper which is most famous in your region.
You can choose TOI and/or The Hindu English Newspaper.
Refer some Civil Services focused magazine like, Chronicle.

Make this schedule according to your suitability. Don't push yourself a lot it won't
give efficient result. Study according to your digestion capacity.

After 1 to 1.5 years your G.S. will become very good but you need to keep revising the
old things and also you need to keep yourself about all national and international
happenings.

Once you think that you have studied a lot for G.S. then you should start moving the
optional subjects. For that you must refer the standard books and study material of
coaching institution.
11th July 2011, 12:42 AM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

IAS is an exam that makes you to enter into the competative world and make you to get the top posts such as DC and DSP and ACP so on..

You can take any course as your graduation course.

Because to become an IAS you should have completed your graduation first in any stream from any recognized university....that is the only educational criteria....then take a look at the following things.

1. Your age should be between 21 years and 30 years.
[33 years for Sc/ST]

2. You should have good knowledge in current affairs and social issues.
[Because you need to have very strong in that]

So if you fulfill the above conditions, you can easily crack IAS exam.

official website-- http://www.upsc.gov.in

The Exam is basically divided into two parts...

1. Preliminary
2. Main

In Preliminary, 2 papers are there...

Each paper carry 200 marks and duration is 2 hours.

In main exam you have to select the optional subjects.

Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from optional subjects.

Each paper is of 3 hours duration.

Whatever engineering course you do, one thing you should remember that you have to be very strong on topics like general knowledge, general science, history, politics, geography, numericals, decision making, reasoning, mental ability etc.

So to prepare for IAS, lots and lots of books are available in market.

To see the list of the books click here.
11th July 2011, 08:10 AM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

hi dear
after 12th you go for B.TECH
then you eligible for IAS exam

Criteria:-

* candidates pass graduation

* age 21 to 30 years
5 years for SC/ST
3 years for OBC

*attempts:-
4 times for general
7 times for OBC
no limits for SC/ST

then you prepare your self in well manner..........

GOOD LUCK
11th July 2011, 02:00 PM
ROHIT1THAKUR

(i) Age limits :

21-30 years as on 1.7.2011. (Upper age limit relaxable for SCs/STs, OBCs and certain other categories as specified in Para 3(ii) of Notice).

(ii) Educational Qualifications :

Bachelor’s degree of a recognised university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physcs, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Enginerring or an equivalent qualification

so.you should do B.SC. first then you can apply.
12th July 2011, 11:55 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
Respected sir ....
to give ias exam, you will first have to do graduation. this is because, the minimum eligibility qualification for the ias exam is that the student must have done graduation in any field with atleast 60% marks. the exam is conducted once in every year by upsc. there will be two papers. first will be objective questions type and the second will be a written exam. if you pass both the exams, then you will be called for personal interview. also getting selected in that interview, you will become an ias officer.
there will be general knowledge questions also in the exam. you can prepare for them by watching tv news and reading newspaper regularly.
9th August 2011, 12:17 PM
DN358
Banned

ducational Qualifications for IAS :
Bachelor’s degree of a recognized university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering or an equivalent qualification.

Age limit:
21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing. Maximum 30 for general category, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs.

UPSC IAS EXAM

Apply offline by purchasing the application form from designated post offices throughout the country.
9th August 2011, 12:21 PM
DN358
Banned

ducational Qualifications for IAS :

Age limit:

UPSC IAS EXAM

9th August 2011, 12:25 PM
DN358
Banned

to give ias exam, you will first have to do graduation. this is because, the minimum eligibility qualification for the ias exam is that the student must have done graduation in any field with atleast 60% marks. the exam is conducted once in every year by upsc. there will be two papers. first will be objective questions type and the second will be a written exam. if you pass both the exams, then you will be called for personal interview. also getting selected in that interview, you will become an ias officer.
there will be general knowledge questions also in the exam. you can prepare for them by watching tv news and reading newspaper regularly.
9th August 2011, 12:27 PM
DN358
Banned

9th August 2011, 12:43 PM
DN358
Banned

9th August 2011, 12:44 PM
DN358
Banned

9th August 2011, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

the number of subjects to be opted to write the exam?
7th September 2011, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

what books can refer for ias
8th September 2011, 12:19 AM
BITAN GHOSH
Senior Member+

All you need to have is a Bachelor degree from a recognized university with a specialization in any one of the following subjects-Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Zoology, Agriculture etc. Graduate Engineers or an equivalent qualification can also apply.
The exam consists of two stages-Preliminary and Main. You will get the syllabus and all the details regarding the exam from the website-www.upscguide.com
8th September 2011, 01:48 AM
Snehamay ganguly
Senior Member+++++

dear friend,
You have complete your 12th, and you want to go for engineering course after that... You have interest to become an IAS officer..
For that you have to appear in IAS exam after completion of your engineering course..

Eligibility for IAS exam:-

*The candidate must have complete the graduation in any trade..
*The candidate should not have any pending backlogs during graduation..
*The age should be in between 21-30 years..
For SC/ST the upper age relaxation is 5 years and for OBC the upper age relaxation is 3 years..

So, go for your graduation course first.. after completion of graduation you can go for IAS exam..

You must have a vast general knowledge to crack the exam..
For that you have to read daily news paper. And try to collect all the information regarding the Indian politics...
This things will help you a lot..
So, go for it..
All the best..
26th September 2011, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

i have completed 12 class in kv no 1 in fmm stream now i want to go for I.A.S officer exam .my age is 19 is i am eligible if not then after this 12 class in fmm stream how can i go for preparation of I.A.S exams
guide with my career please
26th September 2011, 10:47 PM
vasu&sakshi

Smile Re: Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

Quote:
Respected sir ....
Yes,

Educational Qualifications :-
Bachelor’s degree of a recognized university.
Age limit:
21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing.
Maximum 30 for general, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs.
11th May 2012, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Respected sir,
which subject u prefer to take to become an IAS Officer???
5th June 2012, 01:53 AM
Unregistered

I have completed my 12th nd i want to beat ias exam in first attempt.so plz guide whether i should do btec or b.a/b.sc inorder to succeed in my dream?
7th July 2012, 03:12 PM
sahiljain12

Smile Re: Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

dear friend,

The Indian Administrative Service is abbreviated as IAS
this exam is being conducted by UPSC Union Public Service Commissionevery year

eligibility for the exam

you will need to have a bachelor's degree in any field from a recognised university

age criteria
there is specfied minimum age that is age should be below 21 years
maximum age should must be 30 years

this age limit is being given relaxation
for obc upto 3 years relaxation is given
for sc/st upto 5 years relaxation is given
for physically handicapped upto 10 years relaxation is given

one need to be a citizen of India

restriction in no. of attempts
maximum 4 attempts for general
maximum 7 attempts for obc'
no limit for sc/st

so to become an IAS officer you will have to qualify the civil services exam
for sitting in this exam you will have to satisfy the eligibility criteria given above

pattern of the exam

selection procedure consist of 3 stages
preliminary exam
mains exam
interview

4th January 2013, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have completed my 12th nd i want to beat ias exam in first attempt.so plz guide whether i should do btec or b.a/b.sc inorder to succeed in my dream?
study the subject with interest thats enough
5th March 2013, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

books for preparation ias
6th March 2013, 02:38 PM
MSTs
Member+

Quote:
books for preparation ias
Hi,
If you want to become an IAS officer for that you have to apply for civil services exam

Civil Services Exam Will be held in Three Round .
1. Preliminary Exam
2. Main Examination
3. Interview Test
1. Preliminary Exam - This is an objective type questions based test which if the candidate passes, qualifies tothe second phase.
2. Main Exam - This is a subjective type questions based test which if the candidate passes, passes to the third phase after clear this you can go for interview round
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
#Qualification
Candidate must have graduation Degree in any stream,No specific marks are required,Final year students are also eligible
#.Age Limits
For gen-21-30 years
For obc- 21-33 years
For sc/st- 21-35 years
#.Attempts
General- 4
Obc- 7
Sc/st- no limit

Best book for Civil services Exam:-
#.CSAT: Interpersonal, Communication, Problem Solving and Decision Making Skills (Paper 2)
by
Shalini Verma
Publisher: Pearson

#.UPSC Portal CSAT Comprehensive Manual: IAS Preliminary Examination 2013 (Paper - 2)
by
Sachchida Nand Jha
Publisher: UPSC Portal

#.UPSC Portal CSAT General Studies Manual: IAS Preliminary Examination 2013 (Paper - 1)
by
Jha, Jha
Publisher: UPSC Portal

IMPORTANT DATES
Prelims exams will be held on 19th May 2013
Mains will held on
08-11-2013

for Previous Years Question Papers you can refer www.upsc.gov.in
You can fill the online application form fromthe official website www.upsconline.nic.in
22nd March 2013, 05:57 PM
Unregistered

Respected sir
i have completed bca n i want to become an ias officer.Am i able to give this exam?
27th March 2013, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Steps to be taken after 12th to become an IAS officer? Best books for preparation for the exam?

Quote:
Respected sir ....
please
5th April 2013, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

How should commerce student prepare for IAS?
17th April 2013, 09:55 AM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend,

UPSC conducts Civil Services Exam every year for the posts of IAS, IFS, IPS, IRS, etc.

You will have to pass three stages to crack this exam:

>> Preliminary Exam (CSAT Exam)

>> Mains Exam

>> Personal Interview

You will have to choose Optional Subjects yourself among 18 Subjects for Mains Exam.

Choose that subjects in which you have more knowledge and have interest.

So that, you can prepare for it easily.

For more information, visit: http://upsc.gov.in

Some of the good books from which you may get help are:

IAS Prelims/CSAT Civil Services: 18 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers (1995-2012) (Paperback)
by Disha Experts
Publisher: Disha Publication (2012)
Price: Rs. 174

IAS Mains General Studies Chapterwise Solved Papers 2011-1997
by Siddharth Mittal
Publisher: Arihant (2012)
Price: Rs. 166

The Pearson CSAT Manual 2013: Civil Services Aptitude Test for the UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination (Paperback)
by Edgar Thorpe, Showick Thorpe
Publisher: Pearson (2012)
Price: Rs. 883
6th May 2013, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Dear, frient
plz work HARD.Iam a 2 student .Iwant to become an ias officer and iam sure after few years iam being the seat.now ilike to know the way to study for that.pls help me?
and all the very best for all who wish to become ias officer.

By
Maanvi
(6-5-2013)
26th May 2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

What subjects should be taken for ias after 12th std?
And is it ok if we take commerce for 11th and 12th?
18th May 2016, 03:53 PM
Unregistered

I successfully finish my 12th.std.i am going to join BE.my aim to become an IAS officer. Please anybody give guidance to me
18th May 2017, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

I am gaurav sir and I m from Navodaya Vidyalaya
I want to be a IAS officer so sir tell me procedure and information that is helpful for me to become an IAS. N I m passed my 12th class with commerce stream
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?