4th September 2010, 09:17 PM
Hariharan Ramakrishnan

Is there any difference between Mechanical and Aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree?

Does mechanical and aerospace engineering in bachelor's dagree have a major difference? Will mechanical engineering bridge the gap of not choosing aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree while moving to master degree or generally in terms of knowledge atleast to the half the other?

Related Questions:
  1. Difference between B.E and B.Tech? Best colleges for Mechanical and Aerospace engineering? Eligibility for IIT JEE 2012 for 2.8.1987 born? -- [Most Discussed]
  2. How to do MS in Aerospace Engineering after B.E in mechanical engineering? What to do to get a seat in US?
  3. Am I eligible to apply for MS degree in Mechanical Engineering after doing B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering
  4. How to do masters in Aerospace Engineering after passing 2nd year mechanical engineering
  5. Difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical & Automation Engineering?
  6. Difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Specialization in Manufacturing Technology? Can I apply for government jobs?
  7. Can I take admission in IIT in Aeronautics or Aerospace after pursuing B.E in Mechanical? What is the procedure?
  8. Can I do diploma in mechanical engineering to be eligible for doing aerospace engineering in future? -- [New]
  9. Is it better to take aerospace engineering after Mechanical engineering?
  10. Is it possible to do MS in Aerospace Engineering after Mechanical Engineering?
  11. Difference between Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering?
  12. Between Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering, what is the basic difference?
  13. Detailed information and scope of Aerospace Engineering course for Diploma Mechanical student? List of colleges in Delhi?
  14. Is it possible to do M.Tech in Aerospace Engineering after completing B.Tech in Electronics and Communication? What will be the minimum percentage of bachelor degree
  15. Can a Mechanical Engineering student study M.E in Aerospace Engineering?
  16. Best colleges for doing MS in the stream of Aeronautics?
  17. Any problem in doing MS Aerospace from US or Canada after Mechanical engineering?
  18. Will there be any other Entrance Exams to join M.Tech in Aerospace Engineering being a candidate having not qualified in GATE Exam?
16th August 2011, 08:22 PM
deepshikha0605

Smile Re: Is there any difference between Mechanical and Aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariharan Ramakrishnan View Post
Does mechanical and aerospace engineering in bachelor's dagree have a major difference? Will mechanical engineering bridge the gap of not choosing aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree while moving to master degree or generally in terms of knowledge atleast to the half the other?
ya there is a difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering. Mechanical Engineering deals with the mechanics and thermdynamics and its different aspects like fluid mechanics, strength of materials, electrical and mechanical designs, etc.. whereas Aerospace Engineering deals entirely on aeronautics, its branches, designs, etc. If you are interested in aeronautics then you should opt aerospace engineering and it will be more beneficial if you study from a renowned institution where direct recruitment from many aeronautical companies takes place. You can also go for higher studies after bachelor's degree.....so all d best!
13th December 2011, 07:33 PM
tariqlko01

Default Re: Is there any difference between Mechanical and Aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree?

Aerospace Engineering: branch of engineering behind the design, construction and science of aircraft and spacecraft.
Mechanical Engineering: branch of engineering that deals with the design and construction and operation of machinery.

First two years of Aerospace and Mechanical engineering are about the same classes. After that it becomes different.

For example, cal 1, 2, 3, and differential equations (both need it) Statics, Dynamics, Solids.
But Aerospace Engineering, you take Thermal Engineering (includes thermo 1, thermo 2 and heat transfer) and for Mechanical Engineering you need (Thermo 1, 2, and Heat transfer) Three different courses.

Aerospace engineering you will deal more with fluids, incompressibles compressibles, anything that moves through any type of fluid etc.
Mechanical engineering you are more worried about controls, the operation of machinery and design etc.

Aerospace engineering is more narrow, but with a Mechanical engineering degree you can work at a vast majority of places, since you learn it more broadly. Aerospace you concentrate on one side.

GOOD LUCK.
15th April 2012, 11:49 AM
a444

Default Re: Is there any difference between Mechanical and Aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree?

aerospace engineers can find work as mechanical engineers as well. They are similar enough that we have the two listed as a single forum.

The only differences will be the focus in your last two years. As an AE major, you'll have more specialized courses over a range of topics (controls, fluid dynamics, vibrations, Propulsion, FEM, etc.) and only one or two engineering electives. As a Mech E, you will take more fundamentals classes and then have some freedom to select what areas you want to focus in.
2nd September 2012, 05:29 PM
ankursachan

Smile Re: Is there any difference between Mechanical and Aerospace engineering in bachelor's degree?

Hi...
Yes there is a little bit difference between mechanical and aerospace engineer. Mechanical Engineer is generally works in the field of Manufacturing,production thermal sectors etc. But aerospace engg. works in the field like designing of spacecraft, propulsion of rockets, satellites.and also works in aviation sectors.
19th January 2013, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

I'm a student of 1styear of mech. engg. But my interest in aerospace then which branch have i choose for higher studies and is perfect for me,plz tell me ?
13th May 2013, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

I am first year mechanical eng student . Iam intersted in aero space then which course i want to take in me .and what are the procedure
4th July 2013, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

can we take aerospace in M.tech after doing aeronauticals in B.tech.
4th July 2013, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

I am student of third year of mech engineering. Can I do post graduation in aerospace field in future ?
26th May 2015, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

Im the student of 3rd yr polytechnic in mechanical engg. (Govt. Polytechnic clg AN AUTONOMOUS INSTITUTE OF GOVT. OF MAHARASHTRA,,amravati)Can i do my degree in aerospace or aeronautical engg..?
If yes,then plse suggest me the colleges in pune.
4th June 2015, 11:32 PM
Unregistered

Please can an ND {national deploma} in mechanical engineering student apply for aeronoutical engineering?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?