26th December 2011, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Is it true that very few are selected from commerce stream in IAS?

I'm pursuing b.com(hons)3rd year regular college.. i'm planning to go for IAS.. i have heard that there are very few selection from commerce stream in IAS,is it true??
can you plz help me??
thank you.

Related Questions:
  1. Whether I am not eligible to become an IAS Officer being a Commerce student? -- [New]
  2. What should I do to crack IAS after clearing 12th commerce stream?
  3. Is it true that commerce stream isn't good for aspiring students? Wouldn't commerce give a good base for bright future?
  4. Is it good to choose arts stream in 11th? What are the career opportunities if we choose Arts Stream in 11th? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it true that there is no future in Commerce Field?
  5. Can Commerce Stream students appear for IAS exam?Names of the services for commerce stream?
  6. Can I give IAS collector exam after passing 12th from commerce stream?
  7. How to become an IAS officer after studying in 12th in commerce field in Mumbai
  8. Which stream is good for IAS?
  9. Can I go for IAS after choosing commerce as my stream in class 11th?
  10. Which stream is better to get benefit of IAS preparation?
  11. What is the procedure followed to become an IAS officer with commerce stream?
  12. Which subjects I have to choose after completion of 10th class to go for Fashion Designing? -- [Most Discussed]
  13. Which subject will help me to prepare for IAS? I have passed 12th from commerce maths stream
  14. Which subject will help me to prepare for IAS? I have passed 12th from commerce maths stream
  15. In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?
  16. Which is the best stream for IAS preparation after 12th commerce?
  17. Which stream should I choose between Medical, Non Medical and Commerce to go for IAS? Best Colleges for Commerce, Non Medical and Medical courses?
  18. Books to be referred for Paper II and Paper III? I am about to register for NET exam for commerce stream
28th December 2011, 07:47 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it true that very few are selected from commerce stream in IAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm pursuing b.com(hons)3rd year regular college.. i'm planning to go for IAS.. i have heard that there are very few selection from commerce stream in IAS,is it true??
can you plz help me??
thank you.
This is absolutely not true. The civil Service exam has basically nothing to do with the arts, commerce or science stream. To crack the exam, all you need is to be hard working, intelligent and focused. Candidates belonging to commerce background have equivalent chance of qualifying the exam just like the candidates belonging to any other stream. In the last year, and even in the earlier civil service examinations, candidates who qualified the exam were from engineering background, arts background, CA professionals etc.

If you see the current format of the exam, it comprise of two stages with the first one based on general studies and aptitude test and the second stage known as the main exam is based on English, Essay, Indian Language and General Studies and optional papers.

So, candidates having a strong base in these subjects can definitely ace the exam irrespective of their stream.
13th January 2012, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

i m persuing b.com general final year and i m very confused tht which career option should i choose LLB aftr b.com or IAS or any other option... plz suggest me??
18th August 2012, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Can i do preparation for ias before graduation and just after 12th to some extend,so that i wil cover that all up to grauduation level.
30th September 2012, 09:33 PM
Unregistered

I am pursuing ca and near to complete it.Now, I am planning to go for IRS but facing problem in choosing the 2nd optional subject with commerce and accountancy. Please guide me in choosing the second subject. Kindly tell me , which 2 nd optional subjects generally commerce students are choose?
1st October 2012, 07:26 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

My friend somebody has given you wrong information. There is no such thing as you are referring. Candidates from any stream whether Arts, Commerce and Science have equal opportunity to get selected for the IAS.

There is no bias against students of any stream. The stream of student is not considered when selecting candidate for IAS or IPS through the Civil Service Exam. There is a exam pattern which is same for all the candidates. It is not changed for candidates of a particular stream.

Exam Pattern

1) Preliminary Exam

2) Main Exam

You will have to first meet all the requirements to appear for Civil Service Examination.

1. You must of be Indian origin.

2. A graduation degree in any stream

3. Age limit is 21 to 30 years.

4. OBC - 21 to 33 years.

5. SC/ST - 21 to 35 years

Number of Attempts

General - 4

OBC - 7

SC/ST - No Limits

The pattern to get selected is very simple. First you need to appear for Preliminary Exam and qualify it. The minimum percentage marks criteria is same for all the candidates.

Those who have passed the Preliminary Exam would be called to appear for Main Exam. There will be 9 papers in the Main exam. You will have to qualify main exam followed by a interview to get selected. Therefore the chances of commerce students are same as other stream students. Don't worry about it.
1st October 2012, 08:39 PM
Nojrul1

Yes , this is true. But there are no link to know your question. I say about my knowdge.
1st October 2012, 09:27 PM
Nojrul1

For IAS exam Candidates from any
stream whether Arts, Commerce
and Science have equal
opportunity to get selected . And there is no limit of marks.
There is no bias against students
of any stream. The stream of
student is not considered when
selecting candidate for IAS or IPS
through the Civil Service Exam.
There is a exam pattern which is
same for all the candidates. It is
not changed for candidates of a
particular stream.
Exam Pattern
1) Preliminary Exam
2) Main Exam
3)Interview
You will have to first meet all the
requirements to appear for Civil
Service Examination.
1. You must of be Indian origin.
2. A graduation degree in any
stream by recognished university.
3. Age limit is 21 to 30 years., OBC +3 years, SC/ST +5 years
Number of Attempts
General - 4
OBC - 7
SC/ST - No Limits
The pattern to get selected is
very simple. First you need to
appear for Preliminary Exam and
qualify it. The minimum
percentage marks criteria is
same for all the candidates.
Those who have passed the
Preliminary Exam would be called
to appear for Main Exam. There
will be 9 papers in the Main
exam. You will have to qualify
main exam followed by a
interview to get selected.
Therefore the chances of
commerce students are same as
other stream students.
1st October 2012, 09:39 PM
vetdoc.01

Post Re: Is it true that very few are selected from commerce stream in IAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can you plz help me??
thank you.
HIE!

no no! it is absolutely a myth that very few commerce students are being selected for IAS. it entirely depends on he canddates caliber to crack the exam. if a student is efficient enough and can answer questions, and is considered efficient for the post he/she will be definitely selected.

here are some details for civil services exam which will be helpful to you:

The examination is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission. It has three stages (preliminary, mains and interview) and is considered to be extremely challenging. Recently, the preliminary exam pattern has changed. There used to be 23 optional subjects along with a general studies paper. Now there will be no optional subjects in the preliminary examination. Instead there will be a second paper which will be common for all candidates (CSAT). It covers aptitude, general mathematics, comprehensive English, social studies, etc.

Entry into the IAS is considered very difficult. Almost all of the applicants rank IAS as their top choice because of the high prestige and diversity of career it offers.

Repeated attempts are allowed up to four times for General Merit candidates, seven times for OBC candidates. There is no bar on the number of attempts for SC/ST candidates. The upper age limit to attempt the examination is 35 for SC/ST and 30 years for the General Merit Candidate. The candidate should not be older than 30 years of age as on 1 August of that year. The minimum age is 21 years.

About 850 candidates are finally selected each year out of the nearly 550,000 (2010 data) but only a rank in the top 80 guarantees an IAS selection — an acceptance rate of 0.025 percent, which makes it one of the most competitive selection processes in the world.

Here is a list of subjects for IAS/UPSC exams as per the UPSC Syllabus. Under each subject is provided reources regarding the mains IAS syllabus as well as question papers, strategy and suggested readings for the subject. The IAS Syllabus and other services like the IPS and Income Tax is the same, as it is a single exam conducted by UPSC and the syllabus is also set by the UPSC.

UPSC PLAN OF EXAMINATION:

The Civil Services Examination consists Civil Services Main Exam(Written & Interview) for selection of candidates

UPSC Interview Questions 2011
UPSC Main Examination - Optional Subjects
General Studies
Essay
English Qualifying
Indian Languages
Mathematics
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Anthropology

Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Chinese
Dogri
English
French
German
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Manipuri
Marathi
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu

The Following Combinations are NOT allowed by the UPSC

Political Science & International relations and Pubilc Administration
Commerce & Accountancy and Management
Anthropopgy and Sociology
Mathematics and Statistice
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Management and Public Administration
Any two branches of engineering
Animal Husbandry & Veterimary Science and Mediacal Science
Combination if two Literatures

all the best for ias!
2nd October 2012, 12:15 AM
sumitjha14u
Senior Member+

hello dear,
Its nice to see that you are aspiring to become an IAS officer.

IAS is commonly known as Indian Administrative Services.
To become an IAs officer you need to clear UPSC Civil Services Examination.

You can sit for the exam provided you follow the eligibility norms:

** You must have completed your graduation in any stream.

** Final year candidates may also apply.

** Your age should be between 21 to 30 years.

There is age relaxation given for reserved categories.
SC/ST- 5 yrs
OBC- 3 yrs
PH- 10 yrs

Number of attempts:

4 in case of general
7 in case of OBC &
unlimited in case of SC/ST till they attain the age of 35 years.

There are 3 stages of examination:
Preliminary
Mains
Interview

According to latest pattern Preliminary exam is known as CSAT.

You have 2 papers in this:
General awareness
Aptitude test

If you fulfill these requirements you can fil the aplication form. Civil services exam is held every year.
For more Information log on to the official website:
www.upsc.goV.in\

good luck
2nd October 2012, 04:21 PM
tash1907
Senior Member+++++

Hi Friend..........

No friend, somebody give you wrong information about this

all stream candidates (Science/Arts/Commerce) have equal opportunities to select as IAS

but, shortlist depend on merit in written examination

if you got good marks in written examination, you can also select for IAS officer

but, you can do heavily hard work for this, because maximum competition for this examination from all over india

all the best...........
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?