10th August 2017, 12:23 AM
Unregistered

What is the academic qualification required for being a district magistrate?

Dear Sir/Mam, My name is Riya and I am a student of class 12 and I have chosen the arts stream , my subjects are _English, Bengali, political science, economics, history and geography, my aim is to be a district magistrate but I don't know how I should proceed step by step towards my aim. What should I do after 12th exam, and graduation? On which subject should I do my graduation as well? can you plz give me the description of this procedure.

10th August 2017, 08:39 PM
Badtameez Dil
Senior Member++

Default Re: What is the academic qualification required for being a district magistrate?

District Magistrate is Indian Administrative Services officer. Students who clear Civil Services examination and are in top ranks of this exam is selected for Indian Administrative Services.

The academic qualification required for Civil Services examination is bachelor's degree in any stream from a recognized university. Candidates studying in final year of bachelor's degree can also apply for this exam.

After senior secondary board examination, you must pursue bachelor's degree to be eligible for this examination. You can choose any subject in bachelor's degree of your choice. The minimum age limit to apply for this exam is 21 years.
10th August 2017, 10:00 PM
Dadi Maa
Senior Member+

Default Re: What is the academic qualification required for being a district magistrate?

Who is called District Magistrate?

Any person who joins Indian Administrative Services become SDM after completion of training at LBSNAA. After 3-4 years of experience that candidate becomes District Magistrate in any district.

So to become District Magistrate, you should join Indian Administrative Service. To join IAS, you will need to appear for Civil Services examination and crack it.

Academic qualification is bachelor's degree to apply for IAS entrance exam. Minimum age limit is 21 years. You next step should be to pursue graduation.

You can select any arts stream subjects like Political Science, Economics or History etc.
11th August 2017, 08:15 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

To be an district magistrate you need to first join IAS ( Indian Administrative Services ) by qualifying Civil Services examination held by UPSC once every year.

--> The minimum requirement for appearing in Civil Services examination are as here under :-

* You must have the nationality of India.

* You must have completed your bachelor degree course in any discipline from a recognized university. Students pursuing final year of their bachelor degree are also eligible.

* Your age must lie within 21 years to 32 years if you belong to general category. Further there is provision of age relaxation for reserved category candidates as per the government norms.

As far as you are concerned about the selection of stream for your graduation degree for becoming IAS officer then as it is clear that as far as eligibility for same examination is concerned there is no requirement for a particular stream but selection becomes important when you appear in second stage of Civil Services examination as you would be required to have thorough knowledge in your optional subject and in my view it is possible in that subject only in which you are interested and which lies to your strength.

For more details regarding Civil Services examination you can visit the link www.upsc.gov.in.
11th August 2017, 09:47 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

The academic qualification required to become District Magistrate is:

1. You must have done bachelor's degree from any recognized board of India.

2. Your age should be between 21-32 years. You can get upper age relaxation if you are from reserved category.

After 12th, you should pursue bachelor's degree to apply for Civil Services exam.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?