9th October 2012, 01:10 AM
djuke

What is the percentile needed for GATE examination?

what the percentile means in gate examination..Could u please tell me

1st November 2012, 08:27 PM
pakanaas

Default Re: What is the percentile needed for GATE examination?

percentile means who got highest marks in exam takes as 100%to your marks.
2nd November 2012, 01:43 AM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: What is the percentile needed for GATE examination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuke View Post
what the percentile means in gate examination..Could u please tell me
Hi

This is a very common question in the minds of all those who are taking GATE Exam.

GATE - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering

As you may know this is conducted by the IIT's every year for the M.Tech intake and the PSU recruitment's.

Now percentage is what we get out of 100. If you get 60 marks out of 100, we say you have scored 60%.

But Percentile is different and so it is having a different meaning. A percentile basically means how are you fairing or ranking in the entrance exam.

If you have 90 percentile, means you are among the top 10% of the applicants. i.e (100-90=10%). So suppose there are 3 lac people taking the exam, so if you get a 90 percentile, means you are among the top 30000 students !

Similarly the 99.9% means you have ranked among the top 0.1% candidates ! So it would mean your rank is within 300!

This is the basic meaning of the percentile. Now from this year there is a new formula to calculate the GATE percentile. It is as :

For any other information regarding GATE, Please Click Here

Hope this helps

All the best

Regards
RANJEET
2nd November 2012, 11:17 AM
BHAUMIK K. PATEL

Hi

This is a very common question in the minds of all those who are taking GATE Exam.

As you may know this is conducted by the IIT's every year for the M.Tech intake and the PSU recruitment's.

Now percentage is what we get out of 100. If you get 60 marks out of 100, we say you have scored 60%.

But Percentile is different and so it is having a different meaning. A percentile basically means how are you fairing or ranking in the entrance exam.

If you have 90 percentile, means you are among the top 10% of the applicants. i.e (100-90=10%). So suppose there are 3 lac people taking the exam, so if you get a 90 percentile, means you are among the top 30000 students !

Similarly the 99.9% means you have ranked among the top 0.1% candidates ! So it would mean your rank is within 300!

This is the basic meaning of the percentile. Now from this year there is a new formula to calculate the GATE percentile. It is as :

ALL THE BEST.
2nd November 2012, 11:20 AM
BHAUMIK K. PATEL

Hi

ALL THE BEST.
2nd November 2012, 03:47 PM
TARA001
Senior Member++++

Dear friend,

*GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering, minimum qualification required Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology or its equivalent.

*GATE exam is Generally conducted for getting an M.Tech seat in National colleges.

*To get a seat in best colleges like IIT u must score 96% Percentile in GATE.
Rank must be within 1-2000.

*One should score the minimum 70% marks for taking admission in good college for M.Tech.

*Total marks of this exam is 1000, so one should score at least 700 marks.
Then only u can get a seat in IIT's or desired college you want through Gate

WISH YOU GOOD LUCK .....
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?