15th June 2016, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

Can I become an IAS Officer having BA background? What are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?

Hello sir, I have completed 12th Class with Mathematics and Science streams. I am very much interested in BA course, Can I become IAS Officer from BA Background? If yes, what are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?

Related Questions:
  1. Whether I am not eligible to become an IAS Officer being a Commerce student?
  2. How to prepare to become an IAS officer and which subjects to be chosen? I am a class 12th student from science -- [Most Discussed]
  3. What is the work-profile of an IES mechanical officer in various sectors? Does IES officer have same powers as IAS officer?
  4. Suitable subjects and books for IAS Officer exam?
  5. Which is the best stream to choose in graduation to become an IAS officer?
  6. Physical fitness requirements, starting salary and duration of IAS Officer training for 2nd PUC student?
  7. How can I become an IAS Officer being a 9th student? Detailed information about IAS?
  8. Which is the best university to study graduation to become an IAS officer?
  9. Which subjects to choose after 10th standard to become an IAS officer?
  10. Best suitable course after XII Medical to become an IAS Officer?
  11. How many Exams I have to undergo to become IAS Officer? What are the subjects for this? Which books to prepare for this? Does coaching necessary to become IAS Officer?
  12. Am I eligible for NDA Exam?
  13. What are the steps to become an IAS Officer?
  14. Placement Papers of Accenture Recruitment?
  15. Can I become IAS officer having completed B.Sc. in IT? What is required to become IAS Officer?
  16. Which subjects should I choose in Arts stream to become an IAS Officer? -- [New]
  17. Can I become IAS Officer after completion of Graduation in Geography? Which subjects should I choose for this?
  18. After 2nd PUC how long does it takes to become an IAS Officer? Starting salary and minimum required physical standard?
15th June 2016, 09:23 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I become an IAS Officer having BA background? What are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello sir, I have completed 12th Class with Mathematics and Science streams. I am very much interested in BA course, Can I become IAS Officer from BA Background? If yes, what are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?
After completion of BA course, you are eligible for IAS officer exam. So you can choose B.A in History to become an IAS officer.

Those candidates who have completed graduation in any discipline from a recognized university are eligible for IAS exam.

Age Criteria:

For General: 21 to 32 years
For OBC: 21 to 35 years
For SC/ST: 21 to 37 years

No. of Attempts:

For General: 5
For OBC: 9
For SC/ST: No Restriction
15th June 2016, 09:26 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I become an IAS Officer having BA background? What are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?

Yes, you can apply for IAS Officer exam even after having BA background as there is no restriction on stream selection.

The candidate should choose subjects like history, sociology, anthropology, geography, political science, psychology and public administration as optional subject because there is a huge amount of study material available in these subjects. The candidate should try to select such optional subjects with which they are familiar,comfortable and have availability of study material.

One needs to clear Civil Services exam conducted by UPSC (UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION) to become an IAS officer .

The eligibility criteria required to apply for IAS exam are as under :-

-The candidate should be an Indian.

-The candidate should have passed graduation degree in any stream with any percentage from a government recognized university.

-The age limit to apply for the exam is from 21 years to 32 years for general category. There is relaxation in upper age limit by 3 years for OBC candidates, 5 years for SC/ST candidates and 10 years for PWD (People with Disability) candidates.

-The exam process is conducted in three phases:

* CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test)

* Mains (Civil Services Mains)

* Personality test (Interview)
15th June 2016, 09:26 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

IAS refers to Indian Administrative Service and to be an IAS officer which is the highest post in the administrative field you need to qualify Civil Services examination with top rankings.

Civil Services examination is organized by Union Public Service Commission and is a three stage examination which comprises of Preliminary Test ( CSAT ), Mains and Personal Interview respectively.

--> The minimum eligibility criteria required for appearing in the same examination are as following :-

* You must be an Indian resident.

* Your age must lie in between 21 years to 32 years if you are a general category. Age relaxation is applicable for reserved category candidates as per the government norms.

* You must have completed your graduation degree with any subject of your interest from a recognized university.

As it is clear from the above eligibility criteria that for appearing in the same examination there is compulsion of a particular stream or subject. So being Bachelor of Arts degree holder you are eligible for the same and you can go with any subject of your interest.

For more details refer to the official website of UPSC i.e; www.upsc.gov.in.
15th June 2016, 09:55 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Service and examination is conducted for recruitment by UPSC.

The eligibility to appear for examination is candidate must have passed bachelor degree from any recognised university in any discipline. The age limit to appear for examination is 21-32 years.

So, you can appear for examination after bachelor of Arts. Candidates have to appear and qualify in all three stages of examination for final selection for jobs.

For more information about examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
15th June 2016, 10:49 PM
Knowledge World

Yes,You can apply for IAS exam after completing graduation and if you select BA for graduation then it will helps in your preparation for IAS exam.Subjects also don't matter for this exam but if you select exam related subjects then it will also helps you in preparation.
You can choose history,political sci. etc. subjects.
15th June 2016, 10:53 PM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear for IAS examination after pursuing bachelor degree with B.A.

The eligibility to appear for examination is candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline from any recognised university. There is no limitation on discipline and aggregate in bachelor degree.

But you have to study hard to qualify in all stages of examination for selection as an I.A.S Officer. To get information in detail about Civil services examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
15th June 2016, 11:49 PM
Money Bank

Yes,You can appear in IAS exam,it does not matter in which subjects you did your graduation.Every student after graduation can give this test and acc. to me you should select that subjects in graduation which are relate with IAS syllabus and subject because it will you in preparation.
You can choose History,Political science,Geography as your main subject and you are from science stream so you can also choose physics,chemistry and maths .
16th June 2016, 12:43 AM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

Obviously With BA in graduation you will have a chance to become a IAS Officer. But the selection of the subject is important. In general most of the people opt for BA due to in the prelims, Mains they will face a common set of papers related to Geography, history, economics, polity etc.,

So chose the subject which you like most. Then you just prepare well for BA with those subjects.
16th June 2016, 02:29 PM
ShreeRocks
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, you can become an IAS Officer after studying BA in graduation. The eligibility to appear for Civil Services Examination is any Graduation from a recognized university. The aspirant can choose Economics or History or Geography or Sociology or Psychology in graduation to become an IAS Officer in future. The history is one of the subjects, which many candidates choose in their mains examination. Because we studied the subject from our school days onwards and it is quite an interesting subject compared to other subjects. So you can choose BA in History and you can also choose the same subject in the Mains Examination also.
16th June 2016, 08:28 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Yes, many BA graduates have cracked IAS officer exam previously. You can surely crack the exam if you prepare for it seriously. Just make sure that you complete BA from a recognized university.

You can choose any subject of your choice because any stream graduates are eligible for the exam. Selection will be based on the performance in preliminary, main and interview.
14th June 2017, 10:44 PM
Ezhil Gold Shelton N

Smile Re: Can I become an IAS Officer having BA background? What are the suitable subjects in BA to become IAS Officer?

There is no objection in becoming an IAS officer with a BA background because IAS exam Eligibility is just only a degree from a recognised institution it's enough to write the IAS exam and so thrre is no problem in becoming an IAS officer with BA background
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?