1st March 2018, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Is it mandatory to pursue M.Phil to study PhD in Economics?

Hello friends, I am interested to do PhD in Economics. I did my M.Sc in Economics and M.Sc in Geology. I want to know that for PhD I have to study M.Phil as I did M.Sc 2 times. So, suggest me with your advice.

12th March 2018, 04:56 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it mandatory to pursue M.Phil to study PhD in Economics?

Pursuing M.Phil is not mandatory for doing PhD in Economics course and it generally varies from college to college. The basic educational qualification required generally varies from college's eligibility to college's eligibility criteria. Here are the important instructions.

>> For some of the college, pre-requisite for doing PhD in Economics course is "M.Phil" course from a recognized university. In this case, candidates need not appear in any other entrance examination to be eligible for pursuing PhD in Economics course.

>> In most of the cases, the basic qualification required ot pursue this PhD in Economics course is minimum 2 year Post Graduation course in relevant discipline. Hence, candidate who are done with their MA in Economics or M.Sc in Economics are certainly eligible to pursue this course. Besides this, you are required to appear in UGC JRF Entrance examination and have a valid score in order to get admission into this course as most of the colleges give preference to JRF qualified candidates.
12th March 2018, 06:54 PM
Careerexpert
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello friends, I am interested to do PhD in Economics. I did my M.Sc in Economics and M.Sc in Geology. I want to know that for PhD I have to study M.Phil as I did M.Sc 2 times. So, suggest me with your advice.

It is not mandatory to pursue MPhil to do PhD in Economics. Candidates who have passed master’s degree in economics with not less than 55% marks are eligible to apply for the PhD in Economics. They have to clear a research entrance test and interview conducted by the university for the admission to do PhD in Economics. Those candidates who have qualified NET/SET/SLET in Economics are exempted from the entrance test. Therefore, it is not mandatory to pursue MPhil to do PhD in Economics. The PhD in Economics is available in various colleges and universities in India.
12th March 2018, 07:54 PM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

No, it is not mandatory to pursue M Phil in order to pursue PhD because as per the eligibility criteria candidate with Masters degee can also apply for PhD course.
If you have completed your M Phil then also you can apply for PhD otherwise on the basis of your masters degree you are eligible.
12th March 2018, 09:21 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

No, it is not necessary that you must have to complete your M.Phil in order to pursue your Ph.D course. You can opt Ph.D course after your Masters degree course.
Candidates those who have completed their Masters degree course in the relevant field from a recognized University scoring a minimum of 55% of marks in it can apply for Ph.D course in the same.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?