How to Become a Company Secretary?
The Company Secretary course is administered by the prestigious Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI). The main intention of this institution is to regulate as well as develop the career of Company Secretaries within India.
As to get employed as a Company Secretary, aspirants will need to clear the following:
- Executive Programme
- Foundation Programme
- Professional Programme
Besides, they will also need to undergo practical training as to qualify for membership as a CS.
Who is eligible to apply?
Aspirants who have cleared their intermediate or its equivalent can apply for this program. The minimum age of interested students must be 17 years. Apart from this, applicants will also need to have good language skills as well as the ability to examine complex as well as technological issues, understand problems and make judgment with tact.
The admission procedure
Aspirants can purchase the admission forms from the institution or get it by post. Forms can also be got from the Central Bank of India. The price of the admission form is Rs.1000/-. The CS examinations are usually carried out in the months of June and December annually.
How to prepare oneself for the admission test?
Applicants who have completed the Foundation Programme need to have the practical experience and take up the needed practical training. Those applicants who do not have any training will need to go through the training period for the duration of 15 months with a recognized firm or work under a Company Secretary who is currently doing his practice.
Aspirants will also require undergoing a fortnight long training period with the registrar of banking or any other financial companies. Upon the completion of the Professional program as well as the other necessities, applicants shall be again needed to go through a 2 week long Secretarial Modular Training Programme.
The cost of the fee for the CS Foundation Programme will be approximately Rs. 3,600 and Rs.7000/- for Executive Programme (Commerce Graduates). For Non – Commerce students, the cost will be around Rs. 7750/-.
Responsibilities of a company secretary
The responsibilities of a company secretary are given below:
- A CS is the Corporate Planner as well as Strategic Manager
- A CS ought to be an expert in Securities, Corporate as well as Company laws.
- A CS works as a compliance officer of the firm.
- They act as the vital link between the organization and its Shareholders, Board of directors and the regulated and government authorities.
What are the prospects for employment?
With the development in the corporate sector, there is an involvement of legalities of many types. These legalities come under the purview of a CS. All firms require an advisor who has a very good knowledge of all relevant laws. This service can be got from a Company Secretary. Due to this reason, the employment opportunities available for a Company Secretary are quite high. Job opportunities for CS can be got with the stock exchanges, the Bureau of Public Enterprises or with financial departments of the government.
Other openings for them include:
- Central Government Law Services
- Divisions of merchant banks
Those who have good experience can get appointed as chairman, managing director or directors.
Career opportunities are also available for company secretaries overseas. They can get jobs in the Unites States, the United Kingdom in addition to other western countries.
- Company Secretary, Career as Company Secretary
- Difference between a Secretary and a Company Secretary
- Difference Between Company Secretary and Corporate Secretary
- Difference between Company Secretary and Lawyer
- Company Secretary after 12th
- Salaries after Company Secretary Course
- Jobs after CS
- Difference between Company Secretary and Chartered Financial Analyst
- Difference between CS and ICWA: Company Secretary (CS) and Institute of Cost and Work Accountants (ICWA)
- Government jobs in the field of Company Secretaryship
- Difference between Chartered Accountant (CA) and Company Secretary (CS)
- Jobs after Company Secretary Course
- Company Secretary Recruitment in Andhra Bank 2013
- Company Secretary - How to become a Company Secretary?
- CS (Company Secretary) Coaching Institutes