Career in Merchant Navy after B.Sc in Nautical Science
Deck Officer, Scuba Diver and Nautical Surveyor are some of the popular job profiles in Merchant Navy for graduates who have completed their B.Sc degree in Nautical Science. The career prospects will be much better if the candidate can pursue higher study options like PG Diploma, Higher National Diploma or certain certification courses.
Selection process to enter Merchant Navy
Candidates have to undergo multiple selection procedures to get into the Merchant Navy. First of all they have to clear the written exam conducted by UPSC which is held twice a year. Those who will get selected in these tests will have to pass various medical tests and also physical tests. The final step of the selection procedure will be a personal interview and those who will clear this round can get into the Merchant Navy. The aspirants should be within the age bracket of 21 and 30 years. They should have a minimum height of 167cm as well.
Career options in Merchant Navy after B.Sc in Nautical Science
Aspirants who have completed B.Sc in Nautical Science have several career opportunities in Merchant Navy. They can work in any of the following job profiles.
- Second Officer
- Third Officer
- Scuba Diver
- Ship Manager
- Nautical Surveyors
- Pilot with Port Trust
- Deck Officer
- Petty Officer
- Marine Superintendent
- Radio Officer
They can expect initial salary packages of around Rs.30000/- to Rs.40000/- per month. With experience in the field one can gain good remuneration over years.
Higher Study options after B.Sc in Nautical Science for career progression
After doing B.Sc in Nautical Science one can do various higher study courses in the field to advance their job prospects. Some of the commonly opted higher level degrees and certification courses are mentioned below.
- Oil Tanker Familiarization (OTF)
- Post Graduate Program in Maritime Law
- Chemical Tanker Familiarization (CTF)
- Ship Masters Medicare
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- General Purpose Rating (GP Rating)
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Marine Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Graduate Marine Engineering
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Pre - sea Training for Diploma Holders (DME)
- Pre - sea Training for Graduates (GME)
- Certificate Course in Ship Wright (ship building and ship repairing)
- Training of Trainers and Assessors Course (TOTA)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF)
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Nautical Science
- M.E. Marine Engineering
These courses provide the aspirants with a variety of job openings in the Merchant Navy and will offer good remuneration also.
- [Video] How to join Merchant Navy
- Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy - How to become Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy?
- Difference between Indian Navy and Merchant Navy
- How to join Merchant Navy?
- Government jobs in the field of Merchant Navy
- Merchant Navy After 12th
- Merchant Navy, Career in Merchant Navy
- List of Nautical Science Entrance Exams
- Scope after B.Sc Nautical Science
- Chief Mate in Merchant Navy - How to become a Chief Mate in Merchant Navy?
- List of Merchant Navy Entrance Exams
- Higher Studies Options after B.Sc Nautical Science
- Difference between Nautical Science Course and Marine Engineering Course
- Application Form of OPENNET Merchant Navy Entrance Exam
- IGNOU BSC – Nautical Science Applied Science Papers