How to join Merchant Navy?
A career in merchant navy is adventurous as well as interesting. Those who wish to take the career are always inspired by the pay and promotion. In earlier times career in the marine field was open only for men. Now days the career opportunities are opened irrespective of the gender and women take up the role of doctors and radio officers in Merchant Navy.
Courses for joining merchant navy
The following courses prepare the aspirants to join Merchant Navy.
- 1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers
- 2 year course for Diploma Holders
- 3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students
- Marine Engineering for (10+2) students, 4 year degree course
- Nautical Science for (10+2) students, 3 year duration course
For students who have completed their 10th
- 3 month Pre-Sea Course for Deck rating.
- 3 month Pre-Sea Course for Engine rating.
- 4 month Pre-Sea Course for General Purpose (GP) rating.
- 4 month Pre-Sea Course for Saloon rating.
Training institutes in India
There are many institutes which offer training for aspirants both in the public and private sector. The public sector organisations include:
- Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.
- Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.
The course these institutes provide include Pre Sea and post sea training which makes the candidates to face even the toughest situation in their career.
Qualification for joining merchant navy as officer
The candidates who wish to pursue a career in Merchant navy should complete the 12th class with physics as the optional subject. Chemistry and Maths should be the other subjects of study. The candidate’s physical and mental health should be sound and the eyesight should be sharp i.e 6/6.
Those candidates who are really interested in the merchant navy need to have a Bachelors degree in Nautical Science or their degree should be in Marine engineering
Qualification to join as utility hand or Petty Officers (Fitters)
The qualification for joining the merchant navy as petty officers or utility officers include
- Personal Survival Technique (PST)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (FPFF)
- Elementary First Aid (EFA)
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
Type of entry and its Qualification to Join merchant Navy
Direct entry to Merchant Navy: Students with a pass in 12th class with the optional subjects as physics and chemistry along with maths can join as deck cadets and those with a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Technology Engineering can enter the merchant navy as Engine Cadet or as Fifth Engineer or as Junior Engineer. They need to attend a pre –training program in Marine Engineering by MERI.
- [Video] How to join Merchant Navy
- Difference between Indian Navy and Merchant Navy
- Merchant Navy After 12th
- Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy - How to become Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy?
- Government jobs in the field of Merchant Navy
- Merchant Navy, Career in Merchant Navy
- Career in Merchant Navy after B.Sc in Nautical Science
- List of Postgraduate Courses in Marine Engineering
- Application Form of OPENNET Merchant Navy Entrance Exam
- Chief Mate in Merchant Navy - How to become a Chief Mate in Merchant Navy?
- List of Merchant Navy Entrance Exams
- Question Answers Set#4
- Difference between Commercial Banking and Merchant Banking
- How to Join the Navy?
- SSC Officer in Aviation Cadre (Observer), Indian Navy