9th October 2011, 01:03 AM
Unregistered

Which Exams should I give to become IAS? How man years does it take to become IAS?

what exams to give to become a ias.it takes maximum how many years

9th October 2011, 09:14 AM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which Exams should I give to become IAS? How man years does it take to become IAS?

In order to become IAS officer, the only exam which you have to appear for is civil services examination. This exam is being conducte by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) every year.

Here is the eligibility criteria to appear for civil services examination.

Academic qualification :
-One should have completed Graduation from a recognized university with any of the stream.
-Candidates who have appeared for final year exams of Graduation course and waiting for the results can also apply for this exam.

Age criteria :
-One should be in the age group of 21-30 years to be eligible for civil services examination.
-Relaxation is there in upper age limit
-upto 3 years for the candidates of OBC category
-upto 5 years for the candidates of SC/ST category.

Here are the number of attempts for civil services examination.
-For the candidates of General category, they can appear for a maximum of 4 times
-The maximum number of attempts for OBC category are 7 times and there is no limit on the number of attempts for the candidates of SC/ST category.

There is no fixed duration to become IAS officer. Initially you have to qualify in CSAT Exam (Civil Services Aptitude Test) and then Main Examination. After succesful completion of the interview, you will be placed in any of the civil services.

Here is the official website of UPSC. Have a look at for updated information on civil services examination.
http://www.upsc.gov.in/
9th October 2011, 12:12 PM
gamble007
Senior Member++

Default Re: Which Exams should I give to become IAS? How man years does it take to become IAS?

for IAS there is the civil service examination, conducted by UPSC every year,.
for apply for this exam you must have to complete your graduation in any stream from a recognized college.
the age limit for a general candidate is 21-30.there are 5 years of relaxation for SC\ST candidate.
also 3 years of relaxation in age criteria for OBC candidates.

civil service exam contain three stages-
1. CSAT
2. MAINS
3. INTERVIEW

NO. OF ATTEMPTS-

4 for a general candidate
7 for a OBC candidate
no such restriction for SC\ST candidates.

thanks!
24th October 2011, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

what is the procedure for prelims?
16th December 2011, 12:19 PM
sowmyaashree

To become an IAS Officer you need to take up UPSC exam which will be conducted every year based on Vaccancy available.
To take up UPSC exam the minimum qualification is a graduate from any stream from recognised University.
Even a post graduate can also appear for exam but the advantage is that they will be having hold on the subject so there is chance to clear the exam.
The age limit is minimum is 21years and maximum is 30 years for general category but there is relaxation for other catergories, i.e, for OBC upto 3 years and SC/ST upto 5 years.
No of attempts for genral category is four times, but for OBC is seven times and there is no limit for SC / ST.
The preliminary exam will be conducted in the month of May / June and the Main exam in the month of Oct / Nov every year based on the vacancy available.
20th December 2011, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

What is the difference between group 1 services and civil services?
23rd December 2011, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Procedure for Preliminary IAS exam
If you want to take up preliminary IAS exam means you first you need to fulfill the eligibility criteria laid by the UPSC.

1. A graduate in any stream from a recognised University.
2. Age limit : General : 21 - 30 years, OBC : 21 - 33 years and SC/ST : 21 - 35 years.
3. No of attempts : For general : 4 attempts, OBC : 7 attempts and SC/ST : No limit.

If you fulfill all the above eligibility criteria you can take up the IAS exam.
Notification will be given in the month of Feb 2012 and the last date will be in March 2012 and the preliminary exam will be in the month of May/June 2012 and the main exam in the month of Oct/Nov 2012.

All the best for your preparation.
8th April 2012, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

I'm B.A. graduate 1st year from Nagpur University & 2nd & final year from yashwantrao chavan open university. can I apply for UPSC?
18th July 2013, 07:49 PM
whiteblossom

IAS exam is conducted by UPSC .

To be eligible for IAS the following is the criteria :

1. one should be the citizen of India or subject of nepal or subject of bhutan .

2. One should be a graduate in any discipline from any recognised university .

3.AGE limit

general category 21 to 30 years

OBC 3years relaxation

SC/ST 5 years relaxation
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?