31st October 2010, 04:41 AM
sandeepb210

Help regarding selection of subjects for IAS

Hello all

Firstly I would like to write about my education, I have completed my B. Tech. and M. Tech. (Mechanical Engg.) from IIT Kharagpur and working with a MNC. Now, I am looking for IAS exam. Now as the pattern for prelims has been changed, so thr is no problem thr. But choosing main exam subject is a getting difficult for me and I am looking for help for that.

I have a good knowledge in Mechanical Engg., Maths and Physics. I can choose 2 out of these but I heard (based on previous results) that chances for students who opt for maths is very less ( based upon scaling pattern).

So I am looking for help.
Should I go with above mentioned subjects or should start with subjects like geography or public administrations but these are new subjects for me.

Help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sandeep

31st October 2010, 07:06 AM
helpmaster

Default Re: Help regarding selection of subjects for IAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepb210 View Post
Hello all

Firstly I would like to write about my education, I have completed my B. Tech. and M. Tech. (Mechanical Engg.) from IIT Kharagpur and working with a MNC. Now, I am looking for IAS exam. Now as the pattern for prelims has been changed, so thr is no problem thr. But choosing main exam subject is a getting difficult for me and I am looking for help for that.

I have a good knowledge in Mechanical Engg., Maths and Physics. I can choose 2 out of these but I heard (based on previous results) that chances for students who opt for maths is very less ( based upon scaling pattern).

So I am looking for help.
Should I go with above mentioned subjects or should start with subjects like geography or public administrations but these are new subjects for me.

Help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sandeep

If you are very good in maths and physics you can choose both of them as you mains subject.

31st October 2010, 09:41 AM
poplu13
Senior Member+

Dear friend !!
remeber for giving IAS exam you just have three chances and maximum age limit is 30 years..So becareful about this..

And about choosing an option...Please dont refer to previous selection pattern..and select your choice...

Have faith in your self and choose your option as maths...

Dont be confused...because one single mistake is not advicable in preparation for IAS exam...

31st October 2010, 11:20 AM
Sachin Narayan

Hi,
As u have done Mtech i would like to recommend u to go for mathematics as your one subject among the two for mains examination. U should choose this cause first of all u have command over it, second subject u should pick up is history or geography, as u will pick one of these a major part of ur general knowledge course will also be get prepared simultaneously. Being mathematics in one hand will provide u with marks and history or geography will save u from scaling sword that will now be eliminated shortly.
thank you, good luck

31st October 2010, 12:43 PM
babydoll

Hi!
Yes you have heard the fact that getting less chance with maths, so better to select geography and other administrative subjects like History and all.
The selection of the subject can be made as per your interest and knowledge of the candidate.
But as you are from the field of science and technology so this is very tough for you to take these administrative subjects like history and geography.
So take subjects as per your interest and knowledge.
Good luck!!!!

31st October 2010, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Dear Sandeep,
I am also looking forward for civil services exam with maths and physics and i am also from IIT.the truth is that in these subjects like geography etc you have to start from the very beginning while in physics and maths you do have some knowledge in IIT's they teach in first and second year.so it's up to you..

31st October 2010, 06:01 PM
kool
Senior Member++

dear friend,

It is wrong to say that, a candidate choose maths have less chance of selection.

You should choose the subjects as per your own interest, so i suggest you to choose maths along with other paper.
But friend, you can't choose math with statistics.

& if you think you can go with new subjects like geography or public administrations , then its your choice , you have to command on these papers.

You can visit the below link for further information about selection of your mains papers:
Click here

good luck.

31st October 2010, 07:16 PM
princearyan
Senior Member+

dear friends,

really it is very good question that you have asked.

since in the math paper the question level is not very tough but as compare to the

other subjects it takes more time for solving the the problem.

that why very few studnts clear the mains in the math.

as physics and mechnics is your good subjects so you choose physics.

do not choose math it will be time consumig.

geography is also seemed tough, you can choose history,political science.

31st October 2010, 08:35 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

selection of subjects for IAS is most importent part to get chance in IAS exam.

it will be better for you if you take arts related paper.

you can take history , geography, political science.etc.

these subject will be helpfull for you.

all the best..........

31st October 2010, 11:40 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Hi,
As far as your case is concerned you should definitely go with maths as your background is maths and you have also done graduation in mechanical, so it will be really helpful for you. And remember half preparation is done at the selection of proper subject.

1st November 2010, 12:05 AM
nillu
Senior Member+

As far as selection of subjects is concerned only those subjects should be taken in which you have full acommand on them.IAs exam is such asks your best performance and for best performance you need to have command on that particular subject. So selected subject should entertain you instead making bore

1st November 2010, 12:16 AM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

As you are a science student so you should choose only those subjects on which you have a full command.Geography & public adm are really a new one and its not the time to make guesses.As regarding your maths problem so remember that different students have different opinions.so if you have a good command on your subject then its not a case to worry.So don't listen to others & choose only those two subjects which are your favourites.

1st November 2010, 02:45 AM
NITIN2
Senior Member+

Dear friend

i am very much impressed by your academic career and i hope you will get success in your next goal.I want to advice you that you should not choose new subject like geography or other as it would be very difficult for you as you have to start the subject as a beginner.Therefore it will be better for you that you should choose math as a paper in the exam of IAS.I want to clear your confusion that math is a very good and marks scoring subject in the IAS exam but condition is that your solution should be perfect.I want to tell you that question of math in the exam of IAS is tricky , if you give wrong answer then there is deduction of marks but if you give correct answer then you would get full marks and there is no any possibility of deduction of marks.If you have confidence on the knowledge of your math then choose math as a subject in your IAS exam.i Wish for your success.
Thank you

1st November 2010, 10:53 AM
Bebith

Thumbs up Re: Help regarding selection of subjects for IAS

that is mainly related to your degree profile.....if you are done degree in history basis means that is the most suitable one for not only history students and also other degree holders......you did your degree in engineering profile means engineering is your good choice...............my suggestion is to all degree and all branches students are choose history because this is the time relevant one........

1st November 2010, 11:59 AM
visree

Hi
Form this I got to know that since Mechanical eng is fine for you, you can select that one as your main subject. Here are the syllabus
1. Mechanics:

1.1 Mechanics of rigid bodies:

Equations of equilibrium in space and its application; first and second moments of area; simple problems on friction; kinematics of particles for plane motion; elementary particle dynamics.

1.2 Mechanics of deformable bodies:

Generalized Hooke’s law and its application; design problems on axial stress, shear stress and bearing stress; material properties for dynamic loading; bending shear and stresses in beams;. determination of principle stresses and strains - analytical and graphical; compound and combined stresses; bi-axial stresses - thin walled pressure vessel; material behaviour and design factors for dynamic load; design of circular shafts for bending and torsional load only; deflection of beam for statically determinate problems; theories of failure.

2. Engineering Materials:

Basic concepts on structure of solids; common ferrous and non-ferrous materials and their applications; heat-treatment of steels; non-metals- plastics, ceramics, composite materials and nano-materials.

3. Theory of Machines:

Kinematic and dynamic analysis of plane mechanisms. Cams, Gears and epicyclic gear trains, flywheels, governors, balancing of rigid rotors, balancing of single and multicylinder engines, linear vibration analysis of mechanical systems (single degree of freedom), Critical speeds and whirling of shafts.

4. Manufacturing Science:

4.1 Manufacturing Process:

Machine tool engineering – Merchant’s force analysis; Taylor’s tool life equation; conventional machining; NC and CNC machining process; jigs and fixtures.

Non-conventional machining – EDM, ECM, ultrasonic, water jet machining etc; application of lasers and plasmas; energy rate calculations.

Forming and welding processes- standard processes.

Metrology - concept of fits and tolerances; tools and gauges; comparators; inspection of length; position; profile and surface finish.

4.2. Manufacturing Management:

System design: factory location- simple OR models; plant layout - methods based; applications of engineering economic analysis and break- even analysis for product selection, process selection and capacity planning; predetermined time standards.

System planning; forecasting methods based on regression and decomposition, design and balancing of multi model and stochastic assembly lines; inventory management – probabilistic inventory models for order time and order quantity determination; JIT systems; strategic sourcing; managing inter plant logistics.

System operations and control: Scheduling algorithms for job shops; applications of statistical methods for product and process quality control - applications of control charts for mean, range, percent defective, number of defectives and defects per unit; quality cost systems; management of resources, organizations and risks in projects. System improvement: Implementation of systems, such as total quality management, developing and managing flexible, lean and agile organizations.

PAPER-II
1. Thermodynamics, Gas Dynamics and Turbine:

1.1 Basic concept of First –law and second law of Thermodynamics; concept of entropy and reversibility; availability and unavailability and irreversibility.

1.2 Classification and properties of fluids; incompressible and compressible fluids flows; effect of Mach number and compressibility; continuity momentum and energy equations; normal and oblique shocks; one dimensional isentropic flow; flow or fluids in duct with frictions that transfer.

1.3 Flow through fans, blowers and compressors; axial and centrifugal flow configuration; design of fans and compressors; single problems compresses and turbine cascade; open and closed cycle gas turbines; work done in the gas turbine; reheat and regenerators.

2. Heat Transfer:

2.1 Conduction heat transfer- general conduction equation - Laplace, Poisson and Fourier equations; Fourier law of conduction; one dimensional steady state heat conduction applied to simple wall, solid and hollow cylinder & spheres.

2.2 Convection heat transfer- Newton’s law of convection; free and forces convection; heat transfer during laminar and turbulent flow of an incompressible fluid over a flat plate; concepts of Nusselt number, hydrodynamic and thermal boundary layer their thickness; Prandtl number; analogy between heat and momentum transfer- Reynolds, Colbum, Prandtl analogies; heat transfer during laminar and turbulent flow through horizontal tubes; free convection from horizontal and vertical plates.

2.3 Black body radiation - basic radiation laws such as Stefan-Boltzman, Planck distribution, Wein’s displacement etc.

2.4 Basic heat exchanger analysis; classification of heat exchangers.

3. I .C. Engines:

3.1 Classification, thermodynamic cycles of operation; determination of break power, indicated power, mechanical efficiency, heat balance sheet, interpretation of performance characteristics, petrol, gas and diesel engines.

3.2 Combustion in SI and CI engines, normal and abnormal combustion; effect of working parameters on knocking, reduction of knocking; Forms of combustion chamber for SI and CI engines; rating of fuels; additives; emission.

3.3 Different systems of IC engines- fuels; lubricating; cooling and transmission systems. Alternate fuels in IC engines.

4. Steam Engineering:

4.1 Steam generation- modified Rankine cycle analysis; Modern steam boilers; steam at critical and supercritical pressures; draught equipment; natural and artificial draught; boiler fuels solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. Steam turbines - principle; types; compounding; impulse and reaction turbines; axial thrust.

4.2 Steam nozzles- flow of steam in convergent and divergent nozzle; pressure at throat for maximum discharge with different initial steam conditions such as wet, saturated and superheated, effect of variation of back pressure; supersaturated flow of steam in nozzles, Wilson line.

4.3 Rankine cycle with internal and external irreversibility; reheat factor; reheating and regeneration, methods of governing; back pressure and pass out turbines.

4.4 Steam power plants - combined cycle power generation; heat recovery steam generators (HRSG) fired and unfired, co-generation plants.

5. Refrigeration and air-conditioning:

5.1 Vapour compression refrigeration cycle - cycle on p-H & T-s diagrams; eco-friendly refrigerants - R134a,123; Systems like evaporators, condensers, compressor, expansion devices. Simple vapour absorption systems.

5.2 Psychrometry - properties; processes; charts; sensible heating and cooling; humidification and dehumidification effective temperature; air-conditioning load calculation; simple duct design.

1st November 2010, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

Dear Friend,
Choose the subjects with which your comfortable,Don`t make a mistake by choosing the one, just because others say its easy,
It`s you who are gonna write!Better choose Maths and phy wisely!
All the best!
Success is yours!

1st November 2010, 07:15 PM
sandy.thedemon

Hello
My dear friend Dont go for statistics if you think that you are really very goo in those subjects than go for them. because there will be much more easier to you to study a familiar subject than a new subject. GOOD LUCK.

2nd March 2011, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

hello
i have done MBBS but i want to choose arts subjects as optional for IAS . suggest me proper combinations

7th March 2011, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

i am an engineering graduate from electronics and communication background. I wish to appear for IAS 2011. Can anyone help me regarding the choice of main subjects. My history and geography was very good in my school days. But to revise them all and gain confidence will take time.

27th March 2011, 01:43 PM
vijaypatel54
Senior Member+

Hi,

since in the math paper the question level is not very tough but as compare to the

Thanks

5th April 2011, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

hello,
i have completed my b.com and now i am looking for ias exam.my first subject is philosphy.but i am confused about my second subject between public adminstration and geography ,that which will be best selection for me.

17th April 2011, 06:52 PM
akkilala
Member+

hi dear
thanks

7th June 2011, 08:49 PM
Unregistered

i am I.T engineer ,so i have some problem regarding to choose the center in delhi for hindi medium for pre exam

16th June 2011, 12:39 AM
SUMITRA_M

If you can cover and are interested in maths and physics than you can choose both of them as you mains subject.

11th July 2011, 12:54 AM
Unregistered

NEHA SINHA
I am a 3rd year student by electronic and communication suggest me to choose the subject which is relevant to my branch.

6th September 2011, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

Hiall,

I am a MBA (Fin & marketing) graduate, working in MNC, looking for IAS , suggest me in sub selection...

9th October 2011, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

geology & geogrophy takes main subjet in ias

6th November 2011, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

i have the good concept of maths,physics and history
what should be my subject combination for IAS MAINS

16th February 2012, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

this is Priya.

i hav confusion in chosing subject from public admn, psychology , sociology and anthrpology.. could u plz help me .

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?